Late night snacking

Options
I keep going over my goal by 100 cals or so because I can't stop getting the munchies any tips on how to break this habit

Replies

• noelslp
    noelslp Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    What helps me (especially now in the cold weather) is drinking something warm when I want to snack. Tea, diet hot chocolate, decaf pumpkin coffee with splenda. The liquid fills and warms me up with little to no calories.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I do two things: have hot decaf peppermint tea and go to bed earlier. I find that the later I stay up at night, the greater the craving for a nibble or two.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    First of all, depending on what your goals are set at, 100 kcal overage might not be a bad thing.

Even if your goals are set very moderately, 100 kcal over your goal would only result in a minor slowdown (you'll still lose weight, easily).

Lastly, things I'd recommend for this:

1) Bank calories (eat slightly less cals during day) so you have the calorie room to eat at night.
    2) Choose foods that are not calorie dense so you can eat higher volume and stay full on less calories.
  • 10kaday
    10kaday Posts: 177
    Options
    Learn to love raw vegetables. These are generally free calories as long as it's not corn. Also, I've recently learned to love frozen vegetables. I mix em up and put them in a zip lock back, pull them out of the freezer and munch away. Kinda has the same sensation of eating ice, but very healthy! I know this sounds strange, but it's actually really good.
  • brenkruss
    brenkruss Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get some control over my late night snacking as well. The other day I logged a fruit and yogurt parfait for my afternoon snack, but only ate half and put the rest in the fridge. I ate the second half for my late night snack. It was "free" since I'd already logged the entire thing that afternoon, and it prevented me from munching on other high calorie snacks. So maybe prepping a low calorie snack ahead of time and logging it in advance so that you can be certain to make room for it in your calories would be my best advice.
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    As someone else said, try raw veggies. The fiber in them make you feel full. Egg whites also have low cal content. Perhaps combine the two into a nutritious omelette if its not too much work! :)
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I keep going over my goal by 100 cals or so because I can't stop getting the munchies any tips on how to break this habit

Put down the spoon!!

Seriously - eat your dinner at a later time
    Drink a diet soda/water to help fill you
    Save some calories for after dinner snack

Any will do!
  • jellytots540
    jellytots540 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys xxx
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    First of all, depending on what your goals are set at, 100 kcal overage might not be a bad thing.

Even if your goals are set very moderately, 100 kcal over your goal would only result in a minor slowdown (you'll still lose weight, easily).

Lastly, things I'd recommend for this:

1) Bank calories (eat slightly less cals during day) so you have the calorie room to eat at night.
    2) Choose foods that are not calorie dense so you can eat higher volume and stay full on less calories.

Sigh...Sidesteal again has spoken a bucketload of truths. The thread is done. :drinker: