Question about loose skin etc...big losses specifically

Options
Hi. I have lost 59 pounds with about 30 or so left to go. I had 4 pregnancies that gave me a LOT of big stretch marks. I have loose belly skin, but not only that, it looks like crumpley crepe paper already, due in part to the stretch marks. I am 40 years old and know that I have done some serious damage to my body and the chances of wearing a bikini are about as likely as going to the moon. I am trying to be realistic. But I am beginning to think I am trading one set of body issues for another whole set of body issues. (losing it still wins cuz i will be healthier...)

I am wanting to hear from people who are/have losing/lost 80+ pounds. What will you do, if anything, about the extra nasty skin?

Replies

• beamishcas
    beamishcas Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    That's my problem right now. 51 gone but still 39 to go. Really noticing the crepe paper skin on my upper arms and legs.. LOL. I need some help too.
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My solution (7 pregnancies, 50 pound weight loss and counting) is going to be plastic surgery. I'm scheduled for a lower body lift in March.

There really isn't much you can do for stretch marks or really loose skin, unfortunately.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Some people say it can gradually reduce over time and exercise. I don't know......I know two people who have had to have it removed surgically (the skin on their stomachs). One lady had so much that it was pulling her organs down and causing problems so she HAD to have it removed, but I think she's a lot happier now not having to wear girdles and such to hold it all up and worry about the smell underneath and such. She had a big flap. My brother lost about 200 lbs or so and had about a foot of it removed from one side of his stomach to the other. It was a lot of lbs removed but I don't recall the number. So, for those who have a really big flap, surgery may be the only answer. I think they both feel better not having to carry that excess around.

Me? If it's not causing problems I won't have surgery (because I just don't like hospitals and surgery) but if I ever get to the point of having a lot of loose skin that causes problems, then I guess I have to do the surgery thing. I just hope I get to that point!!! LOL I mean to the point of having the loose skin..........if it's not causing trouble, hopefully I can live with it and keep exercising and hydrating and see if it goes anywhere.

Good luck on yoru weight loss journey. Congrats on what you have lost so far.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    The extra skin sadly for me will have to "hang" around for a while. I checked into a tummy tuck......Doctor said I would have to have more then that done. Would have to go for more of a full body lift and a total reconstruction of the breasts. Needless to say insurance won't cover it and saving up that kind of $$$$ is going to be very hard to do. So till then I buy really, really good bras and Spanx for the waist down to knees.

So to answer your question fully? I will live with it and be happy with the fact that I am healthier and try not to fixate on the wrinkles too much.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    yeah, i thought so. one of my good friends will be getting a tummy tuck on the 15th. she was scheduled for a hysterectomy anyway, so two birds with one stone. she had lost about 70 pounds.
  • svelte32
    svelte32 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm glad someone brought this subject up. I don't care for surgery but I am wondering if it's worth it to feel better about myself and not have all this hanging flab. I lost just over a hundred pounds and I know I am smaller but the blob that's still there is discouraging. I thought I would exercise some more and see about getting my diet down to more natural foods and putting in good fats, see what that would do before I consider surgery.
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    One of my coworkers lost 65 lbs in about a 4 month time span and another 20 lbs since then and she is getting a tummy tuck and her inner thighs done on the 20th of this month she is a returning customer to the surgeon due to getting a breast reduction before losing the weight (that was covered by insurance due to giving her back issues) however this was not covered she said with the tummy and the inner thighs and her $1200 discount she is paying around $9000 out of pocket I guess she has been making payments on it for about 9 months or so prior too but it had to be paid by the time she had her surgery.

Im not at my goal yet however even when I get there I doubt Ill ever have the money to do something like that , I have lost 68 lbs in 2011 since January and Im pretty happy with the way my tummy is toning I still have some stretch marks and a little loose belly (3 kids) but my husband finds me attractive so Ill be content with being healthy