So the whole exercise calorie thing ...

Options
Can we all please agree that eating your exercise calories back works for some people, and not eating them back works for others! It's a constant argument on these boards and nobody loses weight the same! If I ate my exercise calories back, I'd never lose weight (I tried, I gained) ... for someone else it helps them lose! We're all different ... that is what makes us wonderful! :)

Replies

• thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I think a big problem with the entire exercise calorie thing is that everyone doesn't get an accurate count of calories burned. If you use an exercise machine, they often tend to give a much higher number (ask around to those who own a hear rate monitor.) If the data you have is inaccurate - ie you're working off a higher number of cals burned than you actually burned - you'll gain weight eating them all back.

I do something entirely different. Since my workout is crossfit, I just feel like it's too difficult to get a good estimate of cals burned without a heart rate monitor, and I'm not going to go buy one. We just do such different things everyday, it's hard to estimate that well.

SO - I have my food diary set to MAINTAIN my weight (and it's on light activity - I figure that accounts for walking to work and the gym everyday which are each a mile away).

Then - since I don't log exercise because of accurate count issues...
    To maintain my weight i get about 1900 calories a day. I usually eat 1700-1900 every day (I workout 5 days a week). I figure on days I workout, I create my deficit from my workout. On days I don't workout, I can either hang out below my maintenance number and still create a small deficit - or if I'm hungry enough and eat them all, I just stayed the same and won't gain weight.

This has been very successful for me. It also stops me from obsessing on numbers, and focus more on listening to my body and eating when I'm hungry and stopping when I'm full.

I also like this because it stops me from basing what I eat off of estimates based off of other estimates. I'm sure there is a margin of error of +/- 100 in my food diary. Sometimes you just don't get to measure and more importantly, I eat a lot of produce... have you seen all the different estimates for sweet potatoes and apples, etc? Hard to get that perfect. This way, I only have estimates in the food I eat, rather than in my exercise COMPOUNDED with the food I eat.

(**The exception is during the warmer months when I do marathon training - If I'm running 20 miles on a long run day, 1900 calories doesn't cut it!)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I do something different anyway. I use MFP to log and track my calories eaten, but I changed the goals to between my BMR and TDEE. I don't eat exercise calories because my goal is set higher than MFP sets it. Heck, I don't even track exercise calories at all anymore. I'm now consistently losing each week between 1-2 pounds of weight and body fat.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    The reason why you gained, is because you're under eating.. when your already cutting a thousand calories a day to lose two pounds a week , burning off X amount during that 2 hrs at the gym, and don't eat it back, your body thinks its starving. When you do eat them back, you gain for a bit because your body is like Oh look food.. I don't know when more is coming, so I'm going to hold onto everything I got. When it gets used to the extra food.. it starts to let stuff go, and you lose again.

I eat all, some, half or none of mine.. and have lost doing all of it. Most weight that you gain is temporary water weight anyway, since it takes 3500 calories to gain/lose a pound. It also takes up to 4 weeks for a body to get used to a diet/exercise regimen.. which is why you can't try something for a week, see a gain and then say oh its not working.. back to XYZ.

I currently set mine to lightly active, and then add exercise in.. and eat that. On days that I don't exercise, I don't eat as much because I don't need as much food... and that works for me.
  • jenslife82
    Options
    thats great that you know your body so well and that you're so active crossfitter :) i tried the weight watchers program that you eat only when your hungry and stop when your full and listening to your body. dont get me wrong, i felt great but didnt lose weight on it. i was also vigorously excersizing 3 days a week. i have lost about 10lbs the past 3 weeks by measuring and recording excersize. i completely agree with the margin of error for calories so i don't go by fitness pal stats alone usually. i spend time comparing labels and weighing things and looking up nutritional content. especially when its my first time logging something. so back to her point lol, i think we can all agree that we all lose weight differently and what works for some ppl doesnt for others.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    no argument here :drinker:
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    thats great that you know your body so well and that you're so active crossfitter :) i tried the weight watchers program that you eat only when your hungry and stop when your full and listening to your body. dont get me wrong, i felt great but didnt lose weight on it. i was also vigorously excersizing 3 days a week. i have lost about 10lbs the past 3 weeks by measuring and recording excersize. i completely agree with the margin of error for calories so i don't go by fitness pal stats alone usually. i spend time comparing labels and weighing things and looking up nutritional content. especially when its my first time logging something. so back to her point lol, i think we can all agree that we all lose weight differently and what works for some ppl doesnt for others.

Thanks! Yeah, we all have different systems that work for us :) For me this has been helpful because it lets me listen to my body WITHIN the math... if that makes sense. It sort of balances the two, because I still have my calorie count there to keep me in check - I like it for me because it's like, "okay, with no exercise, I know how much I cant eat and not GAIN weight" - now... stay a tiny bit below OR kill it at the gym :)
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I'm not sure if the calories burned are 100% accurate so that's why I leave wiggle room.
  • raige123
    raige123 Posts: 352
    Options
    The reason why you gained, is because you're under eating.. when your already cutting a thousand calories a day to lose two pounds a week , burning off X amount during that 2 hrs at the gym, and don't eat it back, your body thinks its starving. When you do eat them back, you gain for a bit because your body is like Oh look food.. I don't know when more is coming, so I'm going to hold onto everything I got. When it gets used to the extra food.. it starts to let stuff go, and you lose again.

I eat all, some, half or none of mine.. and have lost doing all of it. Most weight that you gain is temporary water weight anyway, since it takes 3500 calories to gain/lose a pound. It also takes up to 4 weeks for a body to get used to a diet/exercise regimen.. which is why you can't try something for a week, see a gain and then say oh its not working.. back to XYZ.

I currently set mine to lightly active, and then add exercise in.. and eat that. On days that I don't exercise, I don't eat as much because I don't need as much food... and that works for me.

No .... I gained when I DID eat my exercise calories back!
  • raige123
    Options
    so back to her point lol, i think we can all agree that we all lose weight differently and what works for some ppl doesnt for others.

THIS!!!!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    just to throw my 2 pence in, i think there is a difference between a person who burns 250 cals 3 times a week not eating their cals back, and someone who burns 1000 EVERY day. a lot people people drastically under eat because they dont eat back the thousands of calories that they burn...
  • DWilbanks
    DWilbanks Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Can we all please agree that eating your exercise calories back works for some people, and not eating them back works for others! It's a constant argument on these boards and nobody loses weight the same! If I ate my exercise calories back, I'd never lose weight (I tried, I gained) ... for someone else it helps them lose! We're all different ... that is what makes us wonderful! :)

AMEN!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • jenslife82
    Options
    thats a great system :) keep up the good work!
  • raige123
    Options
    just to throw my 2 pence in, i think there is a difference between a person who burns 250 cals 3 times a week not eating their cals back, and someone who burns 1000 EVERY day. a lot people people drastically under eat because they dont eat back the thousands of calories that they burn...

I workout everyday! Burn about 700-800 calories a day. The one week I tried eating back those calories, I gained! My body is not designed for eating them back ... some people are designed that way. This was my point! We're all different and no one thing will work for everyone!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I workout everyday! Burn about 700-800 calories a day. The one week I tried eating back those calories, I gained! My body is not designed for eating them back ... some people are designed that way. This was my point! We're all different and no one thing will work for everyone!

1 week is NOT long enough to have tried it for!!!!!!!
  • regmcc
    regmcc Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump.....this makes sense.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    so back to her point lol, i think we can all agree that we all lose weight differently and what works for some ppl doesnt for others.

THIS!!!!!
    I will agree, each person needs to find what works for them. If there were one formula that worked all the time for every person, we would not have WeightWatchers, SlimGenics; Jenny Craig....
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    I have an HMR and have been doing programs like turbofire, chalean extreme, p90x and insanity. All I've done with eating exercise calories is stay the same weight. Now I'm kind of waivering between 1000 and 1300 net but because I've been frustrated, I've had two day a week over my maintenance days. Sooo once I'm back on track consistantly, will be able to report how not eating back the 500+ cals does for me.
    Everyone is different.
  • StarletteS
    StarletteS Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I want to see what not eating the 500 calories does for you.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It has to do with how you do your accounting and how accurately you count. No one is exempt from the laws of thermodynamics. So in this context when we say, "every body is different", it really means, "every body counts differently".
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with the original poster on this! For the last 6 months I've been working out A LOT and eating back my exercise cals - I've lost inches, but I have not lost ANY weight (in fact I've gained weight!!)

After talking to my psycho trainer about this he told me that I was crazy for eating back my exercise calories and that I need to stick with 1200-1500 cals a day no matter if I am exercising that day or not! I've done this for a week and I've lost 2lbs!