Runs with dogs!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• gabrielled
    gabrielled Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have English bulldogs, so there is NO running. We jog occasionally, but never in the heat. And I have already paid for MY knee surgery and hers. Things got better when I got Jaeger leashes. I wear the leash like a cross-body bag strap, that way my hands are free. The bullies do love to hike, though.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    I have a 6 month old miniature poodle puppy. I've taken him for 20-30 min walks before and he's done great. I'm wondering if I could ever run with this breed and if so how old should he be and how long should I run with him? I don't want to hurt him.
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old lab I've just started running with. He's trained well on a lead, runs next to me beautifully but does tend to get distracted! We've managed 3.5 miles so far, but the last mile was a bit of a drag so I'm going to let him get used to that distance before upping it.

Any tips of reducing distraction would be welcome!
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I'm putting this under Fitness, since it relates directly to running.

For those of you that run with your dogs:

How far do you typically run?
    What's the farthest you've run with them?
    What breed(s)?
    Leach/ Unleashed?
    Year-round?

How far do you typically run? Anywhere from 1 mile to 10 daily, weather depending (never less than 6 a day though)
    What's the farthest you've run with them? We walked/ran 17 miles once day, through the woods and at the local elementary.
    What breed(s)? (on my profile pic, left to right) Rogue is an American PitBull Terrier/Rhodesian Ridgeback/Blackmouth Cur, Harley Quinn is German Shepard/ Anatolian Shepard/Siberian Husky, and Parker is a German Shepard/Siberian Husky
    Leach/ Unleashed? Always leashed, too many unfriendly dogs in the area that i'd rather not have to choke to death if they attacked my dogs.
    Year-round? Even on holidays :)
  • Troll
    Options
    I have a 2 year old lab I've just started running with. He's trained well on a lead, runs next to me beautifully but does tend to get distracted! We've managed 3.5 miles so far, but the last mile was a bit of a drag so I'm going to let him get used to that distance before upping it.

Any tips of reducing distraction would be welcome!

Squeaky toys work wonders for me. Also, keep a baggie of treats and work on obediance while walking/running. My dogs know to stop and sit any time a car coems by or i stop for any reason-even if the reason is just to see if they're paying attention :)
  • vickyg1
    vickyg1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I wish I could run with my dog. Shes a Black and Tan Coonhound so if she smells or sees something she comes to a complete stop, nose goes to the ground and shes off :)
  • Troll
    Options
    Yes! I have a 5 year old Doberman Pinscher... he is amazing. The longest we've gone together has been 9 miles (so far) and he usually joins me on 3 or 4 runs a week. On long runs (over 6 miles) I bring an extra water bottle along and stop at 6 or 7 miles to let him hydrate. We always use a leash as we primarily run city streets (and our city has a leash law); I tie him to my waist with a safety release knot to keep from holding anything. We live in the desert southwest so the climate can be extreme... but we DO run year round: we just make minor adjustments each season. In the summer- we run at night so the pavement is not hot and in the winter he wears a sweater for the chilly mornings.

I'll also note that I run him with a choke chain. He is perfectly leash trained- but with his long sleek neck, any collar has to be very snug to keep from sliding over his head. I feel that a tight collar would be uncomfortable for him while running- so he only wears a choke when we hit the roads (it stays loose the whole time- but will NOT slip from his head if it comes down to it!)

I would highly recommend running with your fur-babies... Talk about good motivation!

If anyone is looking for dog recommendations... feel free to ask me about Dobes. I seriously have nothing bad to say about this dog (except that he squishes me when he tries to sit in my lap and he makes me look bad at running- haha).

I've always wanted a Dobie, my great grampa had one named Apollo :) And with the choke chain (i'm against them, but it's due to someone abusing their use in front of me, and i;ve just never liked them-personal preference though) if he's got a scrawny neck (my male does, it's impossible to find one that fits and doesn't look like fishing line on him, haha!) I have found harnesses work wonders amd if you looke up "pitbull collars" it pulls up a few websites that have really nice, wide collars that can be custom fit to your dogs neck (i'm asking for three for christmas for mine-their collars are getting old). :) Enjoy your dobie, they are gorgeous animals !
  • airycha
    airycha Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    We have a 5 year old beagle and a lab mix that is about 10. We usually take them about 2 miles leashed. I usually don't go out if it's way hot or too cold (we live in Houston so the heat can get bad and if it's damp and cold outside it feels freezing, and I am a wimp) so they don't get exposed to extremes. They do pretty good. It actually helps keep me going some if they pull a little because it keeps me from stopping. It can be hard with the lab mix because she likes to zig zag and the beagle likes to stop and smell everything. I have taken them both by myself but usually my husband goes and we each get one. I put the leash loop up above my elbow and that way when i bend my arm a little it stays on and i don't have to worry about holding on to it. It can get annoying if they start pulling/stopping a lot. I usually switch arms about part way through if i only have one dog. I have thought about trying something out where it connects at my waist. I think that would be easier.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've got a dauschaund/rat terrier/something much bigger pound puppy. He's about 3 years old and he loves to go for walks/runs. I'm a terrible runner, but it works out pretty well. We go about 3 miles, we walk one lap at the park so he can sniff everything out and mark stuff. Then we run the second lap and he does pretty well, he wants to stop pretty quickly in summer as he's mostly black and he suffers in the heat. We usually run/walk the last mile depending on how much energy I have left.

He's leashed as the park requires it. We stop every lap for water too.

It's been good for me and for him, he's solid muscle!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I run with my dog for 2 miles and then she is done! Shes 9 yrs old, my first dog ever so I'm thinking that 2 miles is good at her age.
    Shes vicious too, doesnt like men or other dogs so it makes it ... challenging to say the least.

Awesome protector for me and my 4 kids though :)

my dog doesn't like other dogs either so right now I don't take her running with me...hoping to ease her into it this spring. She's 6 and has tons of energy.
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm putting this under Fitness, since it relates directly to running.

For those of you that run with your dogs:

How far do you typically run?
    What's the farthest you've run with them?
    What breed(s)?
    Leach/ Unleashed?
    Year-round?

3-4 miles --> 15-20 miles a week
    4.6 miles I think was the farthest..
    I have two dogs.. One is a 6 month old Borador, and the other is a 3 year old Texas Heeler. :)
    Definitely leashed... I usually run around my neighborhood.
    In the summertime it gets REALLY hot here.. so my favorite time to run with them is definitely during the wintertime.

And even after a run, my dogs STILL have way too much energy.. I need to start taking them to the dog park more often lol.
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i had a pit bull mix (we think mixed with a lab, not sure) for a while that i tried to run with but she had so much energy (and speed) that it didnt work out well, i eventually switched over to biking with her running along side to get her some exercise (that dog was one giant muscle, it was impressive).

i had a beagle lab mix- much more of a beagle than a lab- that i could go up to 4 miles with at about 8 min per mile pace before he started to slow down/ get tired. on a cool day he could go a little further.

always leashed for both of them, eased in to it to train them for it of course.
  • zdbeaumont
    Options
    ive just started running (well jogging) with my border collie puppy, we are doing just over a mile about 3 times a week. mostly cause i live ontop of a massive hill and it knackers me to run up it. hopefully in a couple of months it wont be so bad