Muscle DOES Weigh More Than Fat

Options

Replies

• Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    Yeah, its like asking the elementary school question over and over again.

"Ok children, which weighs more? A ton of lead or a ton of feathers?"

"THEY BOTH WEIGH A TON TEACHER"

"CORRECT! :D"
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever seen anyone say fat weighs more?

So like what is the point of this entire post?
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thanks for clearing this up! :D
  • mmacintosh321
    mmacintosh321 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    ... I think we can agree on all of this, or at least I hope so, because it is pretty fundamental to the laws of physics.

No way, dude! Newton was wrong. The earth is resting on the back of a gigantic tortoise... and it's TURTLES ALL THE WAY DOWN!

Seriously, thanks for this very articulate and thoughtful explanation. I love that the very first reply is someone saying, "No! That makes no sense! A pound of muscle is the same weight as a pound of fat!" See, and this is why less than half of Americans can wrap their head around the theory of evolution... reading your repeated attempts to explain yourself reminds of of that old cliche about teaching a pig to sing. I would have given up a long time ago, but I admire your persistence!
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    ... I think we can agree on all of this, or at least I hope so, because it is pretty fundamental to the laws of physics.

No way, dude! Newton was wrong. The earth is resting on the back of a gigantic tortoise... and it's TURTLES ALL THE WAY DOWN!

Seriously, thanks for this very articulate and thoughtful explanation. I love that the very first reply is someone saying, "No! That makes no sense! A pound of muscle is the same weight as a pound of fat!" See, and this is why less than half of Americans can wrap their head around the theory of evolution... reading your repeated attempts to explain yourself reminds of of that old cliche about teaching a pig to sing. I would have given up a long time ago, but I admire your persistence!

I don't understand what your trying to say in your post.

Are you saying that a pound of one material does in fact weigh more than a pound of a separate material? And what the heck does evolution and teaching pigs to sing have to do with the thread?
  • mmacintosh321
    mmacintosh321 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Of course you don't understand.

Now... does a ton of idiots weigh more than a gaggle of ****tards of equal volume?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Muscle is more dense than fat.

Yayyyyyyyyyy. :indifferent:
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Ok..I am a trainer and have three degrees in the medical field as well as have worked in the medical field for 13 years and this discussion is a little more complex. First, it is not logical to say "muscle weighs more than fat" because whose muscle are you talking about? A baby (different mass), a young adult (different mass), or an elderly woman whose muscles are going through atrophy (again different mass). When dealing with this question, your normal child-like human being can use that saying, but as an educated human being, we do not use this term. Muscle has more density than adipose tissue and for good reason. Muscle is located superior to bone and is made for strength and support. When a person works out, they are tearing the muscle fibers and like scar tissue, muscle fiber grows back a little thicker each time. Adipose tissue or the incorrect term, fat is made to cover the vital organs in the body for protection, is in the subcutaneous layer of the skin, which is superior to muscle. Carbohydrates are broken down and then stored in the body as glucose when to much is consumed. Hormones such estrogen and progesterone are produced in the reproductive system and as women get older, their bodies slow down on its' breakdown in the body and the excess is stored in the area closest to the reproductive organs, which is the stomach. When I work out, I do about an hour and a half of intense sprint-like cardio switching from the full stairs that move to the elliptical, to the bike, to the stairmaster. After, I continue with non-stop super sets with a 30 second break in between. I work out harder then most guys and never walk out and look like I didn't pee my pants. We do not use that expression because they are two completely different elements made up of different densities that can not be separated from the body (unless dead) and compared. Second who are we comparing? A baby is 90% water and bone has not formed, hence the reason they come out folded up like a suit case and need I say that they do not have a lot of muscle...Second, what people use that term for is when they get on the scale the day after the gym and weigh 3lbs more. "Oh, that is because muscle weighs more than fat"???What the F* are you talking about? Muscle worked out, fat did not. Lactic acid is released (fluids) when the muscle is torn and is the burning you feel the next day from being sore and also the more water that you drink, the more osmosis occurs in the body and moves the Na+Cl- from the inside of the body's cells to the outside, hence why women bloat and why weighing more occurs. Second, when you are working out your muscles, you are not working out adipose tissue. We are trying to keep what our body needs and lose the rest. When using these terms in health care, it does not make sense and not logical. The basic equation for mass=density X volume. This is the basic and most simplest formulas. The problem is that adipose and fat are different in its' molecular structure by the density (or how compact its' molecules are put together) not mass. The mass that you plug in is like finding the mass from an element in the periodic table and is needed to find out its' density. Density=mass/volume....Please explain to me how you would compare the bicep brachii (2 muscles in the are) weight from the adipose tissue in the arms? You can not! It is f-in not possible. That is like saying "Rocks weigh more than feathers"! It only ****ing matters when you are and can compare the two...Say for a feather pillow....You definitely want less rocks in the feather pillow.Wow...what I love the most is that in so many blogs and posts all that is ever mentioned is the fact that they do...they dont...its density....it is mass... I find it funny that no one ever bothered to ask What type of muscle"? Cardiac muscle fibers are different from skeletal muscle fibers as well as the contraction and resistance time and the types of twitch (type 1, type2). And Guess what? Their densities are different as well as the type of contraction and resistance rate of each....Then we get into nuerons, myoglobin, axons...THE POINT IS..that it goes way beyond that question and is not logical. It does not matter if people know what they mean, but say it different...That is the problem with the world...people are ignorant and argue with out making relevant points. When someone says, "That weighs more than this" it means that those two things were compared to each other's mass in weight at some point. Their is not a specific mass that muscle weighs and the same goes for adipose. Say what you mean and mean what you say.

Three degrees, and you still haven't found out about paragraph breaks????
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I'm just amazed that this thread made it to 4 pages without you-know-who showing up.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Ok..I am a trainer and have three degrees in the medical field as well as have worked in the medical field for 13 years and this discussion is a little more complex. First, it is not logical to say "muscle weighs more than fat" because whose muscle are you talking about? A baby (different mass), a young adult (different mass), or an elderly woman whose muscles are going through atrophy (again different mass). When dealing with this question, your normal child-like human being can use that saying, but as an educated human being, we do not use this term. Muscle has more density than adipose tissue and for good reason. Muscle is located superior to bone and is made for strength and support. When a person works out, they are tearing the muscle fibers and like scar tissue, muscle fiber grows back a little thicker each time. Adipose tissue or the incorrect term, fat is made to cover the vital organs in the body for protection, is in the subcutaneous layer of the skin, which is superior to muscle. Carbohydrates are broken down and then stored in the body as glucose when to much is consumed. Hormones such estrogen and progesterone are produced in the reproductive system and as women get older, their bodies slow down on its' breakdown in the body and the excess is stored in the area closest to the reproductive organs, which is the stomach. When I work out, I do about an hour and a half of intense sprint-like cardio switching from the full stairs that move to the elliptical, to the bike, to the stairmaster. After, I continue with non-stop super sets with a 30 second break in between. I work out harder then most guys and never walk out and look like I didn't pee my pants. We do not use that expression because they are two completely different elements made up of different densities that can not be separated from the body (unless dead) and compared. Second who are we comparing? A baby is 90% water and bone has not formed, hence the reason they come out folded up like a suit case and need I say that they do not have a lot of muscle...Second, what people use that term for is when they get on the scale the day after the gym and weigh 3lbs more. "Oh, that is because muscle weighs more than fat"???What the F* are you talking about? Muscle worked out, fat did not. Lactic acid is released (fluids) when the muscle is torn and is the burning you feel the next day from being sore and also the more water that you drink, the more osmosis occurs in the body and moves the Na+Cl- from the inside of the body's cells to the outside, hence why women bloat and why weighing more occurs. Second, when you are working out your muscles, you are not working out adipose tissue. We are trying to keep what our body needs and lose the rest. When using these terms in health care, it does not make sense and not logical. The basic equation for mass=density X volume. This is the basic and most simplest formulas. The problem is that adipose and fat are different in its' molecular structure by the density (or how compact its' molecules are put together) not mass. The mass that you plug in is like finding the mass from an element in the periodic table and is needed to find out its' density. Density=mass/volume....Please explain to me how you would compare the bicep brachii (2 muscles in the are) weight from the adipose tissue in the arms? You can not! It is f-in not possible. That is like saying "Rocks weigh more than feathers"! It only ****ing matters when you are and can compare the two...Say for a feather pillow....You definitely want less rocks in the feather pillow.Wow...what I love the most is that in so many blogs and posts all that is ever mentioned is the fact that they do...they dont...its density....it is mass... I find it funny that no one ever bothered to ask What type of muscle"? Cardiac muscle fibers are different from skeletal muscle fibers as well as the contraction and resistance time and the types of twitch (type 1, type2). And Guess what? Their densities are different as well as the type of contraction and resistance rate of each....Then we get into nuerons, myoglobin, axons...THE POINT IS..that it goes way beyond that question and is not logical. It does not matter if people know what they mean, but say it different...That is the problem with the world...people are ignorant and argue with out making relevant points. When someone says, "That weighs more than this" it means that those two things were compared to each other's mass in weight at some point. Their is not a specific mass that muscle weighs and the same goes for adipose. Say what you mean and mean what you say.

Three degrees, and you still haven't found out about paragraph breaks????

funny-captions-too-long-didnt-read.jpg

Teeeheeee :wink:
  • StrengthIsBeautiful
    Options
    I'm just amazed that this thread made it to 4 pages without you-know-who showing up.

Tae Bo
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    A lesson in density vs. volume.

Does anyone remember the answer to the question:

"Which weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of iron?"...

If you need help answering that question... :frown:

Hence, a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. A pound of fat would be more voluminous than a pound of muscle, since fat is less dense than muscle. Muscle would only weigh more than fat if you compared the weights of 1 liter of fat and 1 liter of muscle. How is that confusing??? :huh:
  • Lindz2323
    Lindz2323 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    not-this-again.jpg

Sorry, I had to. :smile:

I agree :laugh:
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Ummmmm......you lost me at the beginning of that long-winded post! However...last I checked a pound is a pound. I think your post was way over the heads of many!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    :yawn:
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Lean body mass [muscle] weighs more when comparing volume. That's reality.

Where the misunderstanding often comes in is that muscle is much more dense than fat, so that, by volume, it seems to weigh more. That is, a pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat.

This is why I see more value in body fat tracking.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Do people honestly think we have time to read these long *kitten* posts that go on forever? Keep it short and sweet and get rid of all the fluff! I don't know about other people, but when I see a post as long as my let I automatically skip it!
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat only if feathers weigh less than lead.
  • LosingWeight2012
    LosingWeight2012 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have a bowl of fat and a bowl of muscle. i weight them both. the scale says 1lb for both of them......... now which bowl appears to have more or less is the question. The correct wording should be MUSCLE IS DENSER THAN FAT. This is a density issue.