Eating a lot...but not getting full

Options
Okay so, I need some FILLING foods. I eat all the time and i stay full for about 30 minutes...I feel like a freak cuz im constantly thinking about food! Today Ive eaten

Oatmeal and Toast
16oz Crystal Light Ice Tea
Fruit salad, turkey wrap, and Kettle Corn
Fat Free Frozen Yogurt

already up to 750 calories...but not satisfied

Replies

• karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Okay so, I need some FILLING foods. I eat all the time and i stay full for about 30 minutes...I feel like a freak cuz im constantly thinking about food! Today Ive eaten

Oatmeal and Toast
    Fat Free Frozen Yogurt

• lalaaston
    Options
    I eat hummus basil and tomato over a slice of wheat bread, or 2 tbsp of peanut butter on an english muffin. Laughing cow cheese with some crackers or some chicken potstickers. You deserve to fill full but not stuffed. I hope this helps.
  • netstorm
    netstorm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have that problem as well how I solve it is two things one I exercise but I understand if you are too busy to do that I know allot of times I am. So second I build a healthy dinner with the calories and fat I want to consume for that meal and I eat it little by little. For example let’s say I make myself a small sandwich and a salad for lunch well I would probably take two or three bites of each then I would do something for 3-5 minutes like read or work or something then I would take another two to three bites. By the time I am done 15min has passed and a smaller meal that probably would have not satisfy me now satisfy me. Hope this helps.
  • netstorm
    netstorm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have that problem as well how I solve it is two things one I exercise but I understand if you are too busy to do that I know allot of times I am. So second I build a healthy dinner with the calories and fat I want to consume for that meal and I eat it little by little. For example let’s say I make myself a small sandwich and a salad for lunch well I would probably take two or three bites of each then I would do something for 3-5 minutes like read or work or something then I would take another two to three bites. By the time I am done 15min has passed and a smaller meal that probably would have not satisfy me now satisfy me. Hope this helps.
  • tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    It looks like you aren't drinking enough water..... try that the next time you are hungry, and then wait about half an hour. If you are still hungry, carrot sticks, celery, broccoli are all good choices. Go for filling foods with few calories. Also, eat your carbs in the morning, they will fill you up for the day. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    protein helps you feel full for a longer time than carbs. Have you discovered Fage? It is Greek -style yogurt, they have it in fat-free (1 cup=120 cals and 10g protein). It really helps me get through the morning.

Hard boiled eggs are low in calories, especially if you remove the yolk (17 cals only in the whites!) and they are practically pure protein.

foods that are big, but low in calories, like steamed broccoli, cauliflower, all kinds of veggies, will fill you up and will not add a lot of calories.
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    One thing to do would be to add fiber. Use whole grains whenever possible, like in your toast and the wrap. Another thing to try would be to add more protein, and eat it in combination with your carbs. Eat an egg or two with your toast or oatmeal. Have some nuts with your fruit salad. Of course, by adding these things, you will probably have to adjust portion size elsewhere or eliminate something. A great option to combine these 2 suggestions is a smoothie. By using whole fruit, you get fiber and carbs, and add a scoop of protein powder to get that in too.

Lucky's suggestion of big foods that have water weight, like cucumbers, are another great way to fill up, with fewer calories.

Hope this helps.
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    You need good fat and good protein at every meal and snack. This will help keep you satisfied for longer. Also, exercise so you can eat more!!!!!:smile:
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! And for those who explain the exercise part....well the issue is i exercise 5 to 6 times a week for an hour and a half. But I can eat certain things like a smoothie, oatmeal, protein and still not be CRAVING tons of SUGAR! I dont know what to do about that either... :(
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Karissa- Give it time. If you are eating clean, you will slowly notice a drop in the craving. Notice, I said "a drop"!!!!:grumble: I don't think it ever goes away completely for some of us. But you can train yourself to reach for better choices!:smile:

If you consume things with artificial sweetener of any kind, it may help to cut these out. I quit diet soda almost 2 years ago and it has helped some.

:flowerforyou:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Water, and tea are your friends :)
  • kattiek
    kattiek Posts: 83
    Options
    The first week or so was hardest for me, so I think it just takes time get adjusted. I still have days where I feel like I can't get full. If you choose foods with a high fiber or high water content and lean sources of protein, it helps. Some good fats (the unsaturated kind) help too, it kind of relays to your brain that you're satisfied.
  • Booyah_Saki
    Booyah_Saki Posts: 10
    Options
    I have the same problem. I find myself hungry a short time after a meal. I am a big dude (6'3" and about 219 lbs.) so I thought maybe that was the problem, but after reading your comments, I wonder. I find myself tempted to munch on things to stay full, but even veggies have SOME calories.

Dieting sucks. :P
  • muimuimui
    muimuimui Posts: 113
    Options
    Personally I'd cut out the ice tea and use those extra calories to find something full of fiber to eat.

Not that the ice tea is bad, but there are better things, things that'll actually make you feel full, that you can use those calories for. :3 Yummy, filling things.

edit: Wait. Spoke too soon. Checked out the calories in it. Practically none .__. My bad.

In that case. Maybe an apple?
  • pdj1220
    pdj1220 Posts: 175
    Options
    I know for me, I feel less hungry all day if I have some protein early in the day. If I have a breakfast with 10 to 15 grams, I seems to be okay, but If I have a carb heavy breakfast, I am hungry by mid morning.
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    Your breakfast is very carb heavy and provides a lot of fiber...but very little fat or protein. As some of the other posters have said, protein and fats will help you stay full longer. Each meal should have a balance of all 3 macronutrients.

Based on your menu so far, it looks like you are lacking both protein and fat all day long. The default settings that MFP gives you are not right for most people. Try increasing your protein allowance and decreasing your carbs... You might find you feel a lot better. :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    PROTEIN!

Ok, I'm a bit of a protein junkie, but I find that NOTHING keeps me full like a protein-rich breakfast.

My go-to pick when I want something to stick to my ribs:

- 1/3 cup Wessex oat bran
    - 1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese
    - 2 egg whites
    - Sprinkling of berries
    - Dash of cinnamon

This breakfast warms me up, revs my engine, and keeps me roaring.

If you want to make it even MORE filling (like, if you won't be having anything to eat for awhile or you're REALLY hungry) add in some peanut butter.
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    I don't eat anything low fat or fat free. I need a lot of fat in my diet to feel full, good and happy. I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, but I don't try to bulk up on high fiber foods. It only gives me digestive upset. Having protein, good fat and some carbohydrates works best for me.
    Experiment and see what food combinations work best for your body. For example I don't snack during the day. A lot of experts will tell you that snacking will help you feel full and prevent overeating. For me it's the opposite. Snacking makes me overeat, because I will just continue to nibble on food all day long and still have a full meal later on. Now I only eat three full meals a day, I don't snack inbetween and I feel better.
    Give your body natural wholesome foods (not stripped of any nutrients) and enjoy the feeling of hunger when it comes.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! And for those who explain the exercise part....well the issue is i exercise 5 to 6 times a week for an hour and a half. But I can eat certain things like a smoothie, oatmeal, protein and still not be CRAVING tons of SUGAR! I dont know what to do about that either... :(

When you get the sugar cravings, eat fruit. Fruit has natural sugars that are much better than the refined stuff. I like a mixture of almonds and raisins as a snack. That gets me sugar and protein and they taste so good together
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

Oatmeal and Toast
    Fat Free Frozen Yogurt

Processed food is the culprit...include more fiber in your diet ..beans,legumes,veggies