weird question

Options
so i've been on mfp for about a year now and am basically at my goal. while i want to get down another few pounds, i think with the amount of muscle i've built up and maintain i dont think i can get to 110. i've been around 113-115 since october. i recently started really training my body. i have been spinning for 5 months and cycling on the road (crazy long, vigorous rides) for a month. i also do more strength training than i have in the past. i notice while the scale hasn't gone down, i am definitely at a point where my body fat % is low. so heres my question: i have noticed my veins popping out and being VERY noticeable on my lower abdomen and my biceps. does anyone have an explanation for this?

Replies

• quinnybear
    quinnybear Posts: 243
    Options
    so i've been on mfp for about a year now and am basically at my goal. while i want to get down another few pounds, i think with the amount of muscle i've built up and maintain i dont think i can get to 110. i've been around 113-115 since october. i recently started really training my body. i have been spinning for 5 months and cycling on the road (crazy long, vigorous rides) for a month. i also do more strength training than i have in the past. i notice while the scale hasn't gone down, i am definitely at a point where my body fat % is low. so heres my question: i have noticed my veins popping out and being VERY noticeable on my lower abdomen and my biceps. does anyone have an explanation for this?
  • katebenton
    katebenton Posts: 1
    Options
    A lot of the veins in your skin are in the same layer as body fat... as your % body fat goes down there's less fat on top of and around the veins so they become more noticeable. While certainly not the most attractive sight (I'm pretty pale and the veins in my arms can be quite noticeable), take it as another sign of fat lost. Hope that helps and good luck with your 2009 miles.
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    If your goals are lean muscle, then vascularity is usually a good thing! They'll be more prominent when you're working out.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I also seem to notice my veins more when I need to drink more water.