What do you think my activity level is?

Options
Just want to be sure that I'm eating enough. I weigh 183, am 5' 4", and my goal weight is 134. I chose to lose 2 lbs a week and chose lightly active. My daily calories are 1200, and my BMR is 1565. My question is, should I choose 'active' instead? My activity level has increased since I started in September. I am a massage therapist, and do about 3-5 (but closer to 5) hours of massage 5 times a week. I exercise 6 days a week for usually around 60 minutes a day. (I have completed Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30, and am now in the middle of C25K, and a combo of JM's Killer Buns and Thighs and 6 Week 6 Pack. I also do yoga, take walks, and bike ride sometimes.) I DO eat my exercise calories. I have definitely felt myself getting WAY more in shape, and developing more endurance and energy when it comes to my workouts. However the past couple weeks I've been getting hungrier more often (like an hour after eating a meal) and although I am not perfect I am trying my best to eat a well rounded diet full of healthy food (fruits, veggies, meats, dairy, non-processed food etc.) so it should be sustaining me pretty well right? Just wondering what you all think....should I increase my calories? For the first couple months I was losing about 2 pounds a week but lately it has been back and forth from 0 to 2 to 1 to 0. lol. I'm not tripping about that, just wondering if I need to fuel my body more for all the exercise I'm doing....or is eating my exercise calories enough?

Replies

• lindzmt22
    Options
    Anyone?
  • Sambo004
    Sambo004 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I often wonder the same thing. I am losing very slowly (but I always have), some weeks not at all. It's rather frustrating, but I struggle to eat more than my 1200 cals during the week (weekend is another story). Your activity level is definitely active though.
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Anytime you exercise you should be including that into your daily exercise and eating those calories. You could put yourself at lightly active because you do more than just sit. Why don't you try losing at 1lb a week and see if those extra calories help offset your hunger?
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Instead of changing your activity level, you could change your goal to a 1lb loss per week as Alexdur suggests? You're right in looking into upping your calories. being hungry all the time is not the way to go! Your body needs its fuel ;-)
  • lindzmt22
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I think I will atleast change my goal to 1.5/week soon. That should help. :)
  • rikorb
    rikorb Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Wow I could have written this myself, it's nearly exactly what I'm doing (except I'm training to become a massage therapist) and I was thinking the same things today. Can I add u as a friend?
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    As far as activity level goes exercise you do to lose weight doesn't count at all. It's what you do on a roughly daily basis as your normal routine that counts. So ignore anything you log as exercise as you get to eat that back anyway.

I found this description of what 'activity' level to set far more helpful, that the random suggestions MFP gives us.

The activity factor lightly active corresponds to walking 2 hours per day, moderately active corresponds to walking 3 hours per day, very active corresponds to walking 4 hours per day, and extra active corresponds to walking 5 hours per day (20 miles). Sedentary would include those sitting at a desk all day with no other activity or those confined to a wheelchair or mobility scooters who are not able to exercise.

It came from here
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/health/cron1.html
  • lindzmt22
    Options
    Wow I could have written this myself, it's nearly exactly what I'm doing (except I'm training to become a massage therapist) and I was thinking the same things today. Can I add u as a friend?

Of course you can!! :)
  • lindzmt22
    Options
    As far as activity level goes exercise you do to lose weight doesn't count at all. It's what you do on a roughly daily basis as your normal routine that counts. So ignore anything you log as exercise as you get to eat that back anyway.

I found this description of what 'activity' level to set far more helpful, that the random suggestions MFP gives us.

The activity factor lightly active corresponds to walking 2 hours per day, moderately active corresponds to walking 3 hours per day, very active corresponds to walking 4 hours per day, and extra active corresponds to walking 5 hours per day (20 miles). Sedentary would include those sitting at a desk all day with no other activity or those confined to a wheelchair or mobility scooters who are not able to exercise.

It came from here
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/health/cron1.html

Thanks for that!! :) That's a good description.