Miracle Noodles

Options
Could anyone who has used Miracle Noodles describe taste and texture - they seem too good to be true - and expensive too.

Replies

• Todanaka
    Todanaka Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I discovered shirataki noodles a week ago and ordered them from amazon.de. The manufactorer is Fishwell instead of Miracle Noodles but I think the product is more or less identical. The noodles taste of nothing but with a sauce (i'd recommend satay sauce ^^) they are absolutely fabulous! The texture was a but like octopus, but I have to say that i did not cook the noodles, but heated tghm in a pan. Today I read they should boil 1min in water to change the texture. The texture did not bother me much, but a friend could not eat the noodles because of it.
  • fabdoll
    Options
    I'm also curious about these noodles.
  • drrapunzel
    Options
    Thanks, it's always useful to get genuine reports. Might give them a go.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I asked this before on FB and one of my friends said the miracle noodles have a fishy taste and an odd texture. They said if you are looking for something to replace noddles in Italian dishes this is not the way to go, but if you are using them in Asian dishes they work fine.
  • smashrun08
    Options
    i hear they cause alot of violent gas
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I heard that you have to acquire a taste for them. And you have to prepare them just right. I haven't tried them because I have yet to come across any at the grocery store. I don't see any sense in buying something online and paying shipping if I might not like it at all.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    The smell is awful, so you must wash it/rinse it and pat it dry, then boil it and/or pan fry it and put whatever sauce you want with it. Personally, I couldn't get passed the texture and no matter what I tried doing to it, it didn't change. It was chewy... not like al dente noodles or anything, but like... a hard kind of chewy. I don't know, I couldn't even finish the bowl I made, and to me it didn't absorb the sauce enough for me to get rid of the taste and texture of the noodles.

But don't go by hear-say, I'd go out and try it yourself, cook it a couple different ways with a couple different sauces and see what you think for yourself.

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • karamae
    karamae Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I would love to know where people buy them from? Are there any stores that tend to carry them? I'd like to try them but don't want to buy several in case I don't like the taste. Thanks!
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I'm a shiratake noodle expert of the last six weeks or so....I'll try to answer all your questions as I see them.

Yes, they are very expensive. They are always packed in water and always in the refrigerated section. No normal grocery stores around here carry them. I've been to several Asian stores around Boise and prices range from $2.50-3.25 for an 8 oz package. Keep in mind this makes only makes one big bowl of noodles...maybe 1.5 cups. None of the stores have been carrying the 8 oz packages in the last few weeks, "too expensive" one owner told me. So although I wanted to support my neighborhood Asian grocery, I ended up having to order a 6-pack from Amazon. (Around $2 per package, I think.)

I always throw the noodles in the strainer and rinse them for a couple minutes, using hot water for some of the time. This will completely and utterly eliminate all fishy odors, which originates from the natural fermentation process. After this, (and I think this is important), I put them in a bowl and cut them up really well with a knife and fork. Shiratake noodles are very tough to bite through so you can't eat them as you would normal long pasta. At least, I couldn't. Cutting them up also makes it easier to stir the sauce into them.

After this, I throw them in a pan with some red sauce (or whatever you prefer...I do organic tomato sauce at 20 calories per 1/4 cup). I cook them at medium high heat for about ten minutes, or until most of the water (from the sauce and noodles) is gone.

The best part about 0 calorie noodles and 40 calories in sauce is that you can put some great toppings on. I personally like a few swirls of sriratcha sauce and then lots of parmesean cheese as I eat it.

I love the texture, they are a little chewy but taste great, since all you taste is whatever you put on them!

I love these noodles...they are AWESOME! Rinse well, cut them up, (no need to pat dry, they get wet as soon as you add sauce anyway), and cook for a little while, and you won't be disapointed.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/413097-shirataki-noodles?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/355102-shirataki-noodles?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395610-miracle-noodle

^ Lots of topics already posted on these noodles!

I use the House Foods brand (40 calories for the whole package)
    I rinse, boil and pat dry. No fishy taste. Works well in Asian style dishes.
  • Rewinds
    Options
    I just had a bowl of Miracle Noodles with four cheese pasta sauce tonight. I will never go back to plain pasta again :P
    For only 20 calories per serve I can add extra cheese + have a dessert. :)

Just don't smell them and rinse them well and you'll be fine.

Edit; You can buy them online in bulk for a fairly good price.
  • craftydeb
    craftydeb Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    There are some packages of noodles called Shirataki, but they in fact are made of soy. The true Miracle Noodles, Shirataki are made from the Glucomannon root and have NO calories, No fat, No gluten, NO guilt (as stated on the packages). They are good if you rinse them well before heating and eating with whatever sauce you care to use. I've even tried the Miracle rice, which was a bit strange, but ok. If you go to the miraclenoodle.com website, there is a place on it that you can put in your state and it will tell you if there is, and where, to buy the product in person. I found two places where I live to buy them, but the website shows all the different products that are made from this plant.
  • suepeta
    Options
    and available in australia
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    There are some packages of noodles called Shirataki, but they in fact are made of soy. The true Miracle Noodles, Shirataki are made from the Glucomannon root and have NO calories, No fat, No gluten, NO guilt (as stated on the packages). They are good if you rinse them well before heating and eating with whatever sauce you care to use. I've even tried the Miracle rice, which was a bit strange, but ok. If you go to the miraclenoodle.com website, there is a place on it that you can put in your state and it will tell you if there is, and where, to buy the product in person. I found two places where I live to buy them, but the website shows all the different products that are made from this plant.

Yes, I don't do the soy-based ones.
  • cecilyjenkins
    cecilyjenkins Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My mom bought these once. She purchased two packages. She made one and threw the other away.