Couch to 5K Recommendations

Options
Hey guys!

So I have seriously been lacking with my exercise these past few months. I have continued to lose weight by eating healthy but I want to get back to exercising because I feel so much better when I do. I was doing an hour long aerobics class before medical school started back but with class and preparing for my boards, I'm having issues finding time for that. My sister and her husband just finished the couch to 5k and suggested it. I looked it up and think it is definitely doable with my schedule. I am starting over my Christmas break so I can get into the swing of it. I've had trouble running in the past (when I was heavier) because of knee pain and back pain. Any suggestions before I start?!?!

Thanks!!

Replies

• dodger7977
    dodger7977 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I did c25k in April this year but couldn't stick to it as I was training to do a half marathon. ( I walked the 13.1 miles with sporadic running). C25k slowed my walking pace for some reason. My friends who did the 1/2 marathon with me will be starting it again in January as we will be working on actually running a whole 5k now.

I would say to start slow on c25k and if your knees bother you walk it a little or go back a week till you get stronger. Good luck with your c25k journey. :)

Feel free to add me and ill try to keep you motivated
  • Lazytoad2001
    Lazytoad2001 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi

C25K is a great plan and does exactly what it says on the tin. My advice would be that as the weeks progress and you start to run more than you do walk dont be frightened to slow down. The plan is designed for your lungs and legs to adapt, however sometimes we forget we are new to this and start going too fast. Feel free to slow down but dont stop you will get there are graduate, if I can anyone can :)

K x
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Get some good running shoes. They make a big difference. And dont' be afraid to repeate weeks if you need to.

I did C25k in March culmulating in my first 5k in early May last year. It was an awesome kick off to running longer distances.
  • billythefishuk
    Options
    Hi,
    try a run walk strategy. Run a bit then walk to recover, you will still burn the same amount of calories but it will reduce a lot of stress on the knees. Also, don't try and run too fast. Best of luck.
  • MrsMuffinRun
    Options
    Hi, I have this on my fridge and it is my goal for the New Year (but not a resolution, as I break those!) I tried to start it a month or two ago and quickly realised that running up and down stairs after small kids is not the workout I thought it was! So, I started doing some free jogging and aerobic exercise on Wii Fit and now I am regularly (approx 3 times per week) going for 40 minute walks. I have told myself that I will know when I am ready to jog, so far I have only had the slightest urge to do so lol. In all seriousness, I wanted to built up some strength and stamina, especially in my legs as I realised it simply wasn't there. I am also being realistic about what can be achieved during Xmas, though I intend to keep up the walks. I think after Xmas day/Boxing day is when I will actually start the programme proper, as hubby will off work, so I can leg it and leave him with the kids for a bit :=). Friend me if you like, maybe we can compare progress? I could do with a buddy but not in real life necessarily, as I have to grab the time to do it where I can, so not great at making plans with others.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Get some good running shoes. They make a big difference. And dont' be afraid to repeate weeks if you need to.

I did C25k in March culmulating in my first 5k in early May last year. It was an awesome kick off to running longer distances.

I'm starting C25K on Dec. 21 (had to wait until the doc said I could after having my gallbladder out). I have already gone to a running store and been properly fitted for shoes. If you have knee issues, that will be especially important. You may also want to get a knee support from the store to wear to help support your knees as you run. With time, and as some of the weight comes off, you may find your knee problems ease up (many overweight/obese people have knee trouble from the stress of the excess weight on them, and when the weight comes off, the knees improve).

Good luck...I can't wait to get started. I am questioning my sanity for starting in December when it's cold, though! LOL
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    SHOES!
    Read as much as you can online about proper running (mid food strike) and try to develop a good running form, from the very beginning.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Would the c25k idea be the same principal as running for one song, then walking for the next etc for 30 mins or so? Or is there more to it?
  • ingies2011
    ingies2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Sort of, but it is much more gradual, the first week your walk and run intervals are 1 min running and 1.5 min walking, then it gradually increases the running time each week and decreases the walking time, till at the end of the program you run for around 30 minutes.

The program tells you when to run and walk, you can play your music during it, and when you are halfway through it tells you too.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Good shoes and good socks. I'm AMAZED at what a difference good socks make.
    Would the c25k idea be the same principal as running for one song, then walking for the next etc for 30 mins or so? Or is there more to it?

That would work, too, if you can. Personally, I wouldn't have been able to run a full song when I first started. One minute was hard enough! I've also seen suggested, "Run until you need to catch your breath, walk until you catch it." Or "Run one block, walk one block." As long as you increase the distance/time you run each week, do whatever works best for the individual.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I downloaded a Nike App called Boom. You can manually set your intervals and play back ground music from your collection......maybe I could tweak that......
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Get it done! Go as slow as you need to when you run, so long as you are running thats all that matters :) When i first started C25K, my knees and back used to ache, (aching and pain are different, listen to your body) but in time they got stronger and i only get aching knees now when i do 5+ miles fast.

I couldnt run 100 yds at 14 minute miles without being pooped when i first started C25K, now i can run 5Ks in 10.5 min/miles, and traing for my first 13.1 in March!

As ansonrinesmit said, shoes are the most important thing, get yourself a simple watch (for your run/walk times) and thats it! you can have ipods and gps on your phone and all that, but best thing about running is that you dont really need anything! Just you and the road! :) best of luck
  • lml1042
    lml1042 Posts: 121
    Options
    I'm on week 4 day 2. I agree with all the "run as slow as you need to" suggestions. I've done part of the program before and quit because I tried going way too fast and ended up injured. This time, I'm pacing myself and enjoying it a lot more.

Good luck! Get some good running shoes and just do it. No excuses.
  • mlemonroe2
    Options
    I did c25k this spring/summer and started at 205 and completed it at 195. Even fat people can run!!! Take it slow and repeat weeks if you feel you need to. I did 3 miles in 48 minutes- slow but I still did it! Good luck!
  • JMehl135
    JMehl135 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice!!! I got a couch to 5K phone app that will tell you when to walk and run for each exercise - hopefully it works as well as I hope it does. I usually try to push myself too far too fast and then get burnt out. Slow and steady this time sounds like the best key! Thanks again and happy holidays to all!
  • dodger7977
    dodger7977 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice!!! I got a couch to 5K phone app that will tell you when to walk and run for each exercise - hopefully it works as well as I hope it does. I usually try to push myself too far too fast and then get burnt out. Slow and steady this time sounds like the best key! Thanks again and happy holidays to all!

I didn't know there was an app! What is it called?
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Yup new running shoes will help with pain. Also try running in this form, this actually helped me

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2011/11/02/magazine/100000001149415/the-lost-secret-of-running.html
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    My tips for getting started:
    - get fitted for good shoes
    - get a well fitting bra (doens't have to be expensive, but it does have to fit well!)
    - run slow. As slow as you need to, in order to get through the running intervals. This lets you build up endurance first, speed can come later.
    - enjoy it!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here. I'm in the middle of this and loving it. I never ran before this, and now I'm hooked forever.
    Take the time and effort to get proper shoes, fitted for your feet and gait, and this should help.
    Good luck, I hope this works as well for you as it is for e!
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options

I didn't know there was an app! What is it called?

I used one for my iPod Touch...there are lots of them out there, most of them work pretty much the same. The one I used was called Get Running. I just finished this program today and now I'm starting Bridge to 10K, which is designed for C25K graduates to hit the 10K distance.