Has anyone lost weight with minimal/no exercise?

Options
Hi Guys,

I go to a gym 3-4 days per week but these last few weeks leading up to xmas i have been going less and some weeks not at all due to kids activities and work etc.
I will be getting back into it after xmas but i'm worried that it will stall any weight loss.

Have any of you lost weight just through dieting alone?

Thanks

Replies

• debswebby
    Options
    Yes it can be done. Its just a bit slower that's all. As long as you stay within your calories you will lose weight :flowerforyou:
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Yes it can be done. Its just a bit slower that's all. As long as you stay within your calories you will lose weight :flowerforyou:

This!
  • Natalie49
    Natalie49 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight when your under your cal range whether you exercise or not.. :)
  • amymaria91
    Options
    To be honest, I find that I lose weight quicker when I don't exercise. Maybe that's because I'm not building muscle, I'm not sure.

Everyone's body is different, see how you get on
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    Can be done, indeed! If you don't want to / like to skip exercise completely, go for a walk? I walk to work every day (and back). It doesn't burn as much calories as the gym but it's something..
  • kathiemcn
    Options
    Yes, I've lost weight with minimal exercise, as I don't often have the time. Although it has gone very slowly.

However, I've had some good losses too. I had to avoid exercise for two weeks after an operation very recently and lost 500 gms the first week, 200 gms the second week, and 600 gms the next, just by staying under the 1200 calories.
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have lost all my weight with very little exercise! I walk a lot and rub round after 3kids but that's it. So yes it can be done
  • Agito
    Agito Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I find that I lose weight quicker when I don't exercise. Maybe that's because I'm not building muscle, I'm not sure.

That could have had to do with how much you were eating. It's easier to control your calories without exercise because you won't feel as hungry, when you do exercise you need to eat more to fuel that but also be careful you don't take in more than you burn. It's easy to over or under estimate either way.
  • flutterby6973
    Options
    yes... i have slowly lost my weight with minimal and sometimes no exercise.... i have health issues that make it hard for me to exercise how i used to so i am very limited but still losing :) stay under calories and at least try to walk 3 times a weeek and i think you will still be able to lose... good luck : )
  • SetecAstronomy
    SetecAstronomy Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,

I go to a gym 3-4 days per week but these last few weeks leading up to xmas i have been going less and some weeks not at all due to kids activities and work etc.
    I will be getting back into it after xmas but i'm worried that it will stall any weight loss.

Have any of you lost weight just through dieting alone?

Thanks
    I was recently in a car accident and as such have not been exercising for fear of doing further damage, at least not until I get checked out by a doctor. Last week I was over on calories every single day since I could not earn any exercise calories to "eat back", but I still lost weight. (I'm at a bit of an advantage though because I have a lap-band). I don't think my metabolism has slowed down entirely yet, but I'm sure eventually it will, so I don't expect this to be a "permanent" thing...
  • chippywelsh
    chippywelsh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I can lose weight without exercise but only by keeping to around 1000 cals per day - so I have to make sure I eat really healthily, lots of green vegetables and lean protein. Even then it's 1lb per week but I'm happy with that. I read a report recently that claimed the way to lose weight was a strict low cals for 2 days per week and don't worry about the rest of the week within reason.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options

i have noticed this as well.
  • TriedEverything
    TriedEverything Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the answer to your question is basically "Yes, you can lose weight without exercising".

I don't know how old you are, but when I was younger I lost quite a lot of weight without doing any real exercise - but I find now I'm older (in my 40's) the weight loss has slowed down big-time, and needs all the help it can get! :frown:

Anyway, you are only ditching the exercise on a temporary basis - and I'm guessing that you will probably be keeping very active in other ways - dashing round the shops, cleaning your home from top to toe, maybe dancing the night away sometimes?! All of these burn calories! :smile: And as someone else said, you can always cut down slightly on your calorie intake (where possible) if you feel the weight isn't coming off.

Good luck!
  • SachaMichel
    Options
    I don't exercise except for sit-ups that I do out of habit (the only good habit I've ever developed lol). I still manage to lose weight if I stay within my calories.
  • rkeffer
    rkeffer Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay within your calorie allotment for the day you will slowly lose. I was away for two nights last week and did not even record what I ate and when I came back got right back to charting everything I ate and I lost 3 pounds this week. So there is some encouragement for you. I am back to the gym this morning to work out and burn some more fat. Gotta let that go!!:laugh:
  • cookc04
    Options
    Yes I lose weight faster when I don't exercise also, however I try to focus on my health rather than my weight these days and the exercise makes me healthier in mind and body. Also even though I want to eat more when I exercise I am more motivated to eat right when I have a fitness goal - if I eat this then the run in 3 weeks time will be tougher than if I don't eat this.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Here's the thing though.. your not building muscle. Whats happening is your giving your body a rest, and it's finally letting go of some of the water that was being used to repair the muscle... but no actual building/muscle gain happened.

To OP:
    Yes you can.. just stay with in your calorie goal, drink lots of water and you'll be fine.
  • dragonladywendy
    Options
    Hello there!
    I joined MFP in April this year with 38lb to lose. In May my discs prolapsed and my sciatic nerve trapped, leaving me in a wheelchair. Five weeks ago I had a spinal operation and I am still waiting to be told I can start exercising.
    The ONLY activity I have been able to do since May is walk (very slowly and painfully, usually with crutches) and do light household chores. Since then, I have lost 36.5lbs!!!
    So if I can do it (age, late 30's), anyone can. Be strict with your calories, take in plenty of fluids and grab support where you can!
    Best of luck to you,
    Wendy :smile:
  • lexximan
    lexximan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I have, but it only took me so far.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 10 lbs just following my calorie goals. I was too self-conscious to workout and scared it wouldn't work anyway.