Has anyone heard of the Cabbage Soup diet?

Options
I heard about this diet years ago and recently found a website all about it. (http://www.cabbage-soup-diet.com) Its original purpose is to help people lose weight the week before having major surgery, but I've heard its good for the occasional body cleanse as well. The plan is very low in calories though and I'm a little concerned about continuing to work out while trying it. (I'm currently doing the 30 Day Shred and I don't want to interrupt it.)
I was just wondering if anyone has any personal experience from trying it and if you think it's a good way to jump start the weight loss and cleanse the body.

Replies

• RainbowPearl
    RainbowPearl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • nettleboo
    nettleboo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    hello having green smoothies im sure would do the same thing it cleasnes the body but you can eaty normal as well i wouldnt eat just cabbage soup all day
  • spacevulture
    spacevulture Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Best "cleanse" is intermittent fasting. The cabbage soup diet is high sodium, low variety, and bland (for most people-- i for one love cabbage).
    It's more a fad diet than a cleanse, honestly. Yeah, you'll lose weight, but it won't be because you're "cleansing". Basically, you'll be putting yourself on a VLCD, and you'll gain back some of the weight you lost once you start eating normally. But I guess in that way it would be a way to break a plateau.

Jump start weight loss: Yes
    "Cleanse" the body: No
    Healthy: No

Would I/Have I done it?: Yes

FYI: Cleansing is, for the most part, BS. ESPECIALLY if it's presented to you as one of these fad diets. It's basically code for starving your body of nutrients for a little bit and pretending you're cleaning out your body.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Personal opinion here... Diets don't work, you have to change your lifestyle.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Just have a varied balanced diet.
  • pregmeg119
    pregmeg119 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It is fake, if you do more research, you will find it wasn't even from the hospital it claims to be from.

I do know people who have lost weight, water weight, on this diet but really it's because it's more so a liquid, extremely low calorie diet.

I wouldn't do it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabbage_soup_diet
  • mplasky
    Options
    Ive tried it a year or so ago, its actually good but the bad part is it gets hard to stick to for a week straight. From when I did it i was told couldnt eat nothing at all but the cabbage soup. It did help me drop a few pounds but in a few days it was back again :(
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    <
    (not a doctor)

Simple math, cabbage soup isn't going to have enough calories to cover the calorie burn and recovery you need if you're doing shred. If you're exercising regularly, you shouldn't need a fad like the cabbage soup "diet." I'd bet after a day or two you'd crash hard. but that's just my opinion.

If you weren't exercising regularly, and were looking for something as a cleanse, then it would probably be ok once in a great while..
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You'll gain most (if not all) of it all back once you go back to eating a normal diet.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Diets don't work, you have to change your lifestyle.

This.
  • Boo_08
    Boo_08 Posts: 102
    Options
    I tried it shortly before I found MFP (yet another fad diet I tried before starting) I didn't finish I was dizzy deprived and extremely grouchy I ended up crashing and going on a total binge .... Personally I don't think its the greatest idea as a whole but I deffenetly don't recommend working out while your on it... one of the side effects is fainting and that's just from the low cal intake.... I don't think you'll have the strength to work out nor the energy.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Tried it, hated it...was a miserable week or two...avoid it.
  • MarybethAltizer
    MarybethAltizer Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I did this years ago. It worked. BUT I gained the weight back. I would say to jumpstart, yes. I love cabbage. :)
  • marylou1976
    marylou1976 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I tried it about 5 years ago it is TERRIBLE, the smell of the soup made me gag, I felt dizzy and fainted every day (only managed it for 3 days) so yes it workls but with dire effects (I won;t even mention the wind.....)

stick to couunting cals and do it slowly or if you want a quick boost try slimfast/cambridge still v low cal but at least you get all the nutrients you need
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    Sounds like a gimmick. Just eat clean and exercise. That's really all you need.
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Not only have I heard it I've smelt it too!

Peee euuuW, for the sake of any friends and family I'd give that one a miss. :noway:
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I only lasted 3 days terrible headaches, as all the other posters said it is a fad and whatever weight you drop you will regain quickly. However it does make a low calorie snack to fill you up if you don't have many calories left and cabbage is good for you but use it as part of your lifestyle not on it's own. :ohwell:
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    My dad did this last year or so and he was overweight (around 120kgs). He lost approximately 9kgs in a week, he was not exercising at all and he was very very low on energy. As soon as he stopped the diet he regained the 9kgs in about 1 month, although he was really eating healthier than before.

He also had terrible headaches all the time and tummy problems because of all that cabbage.

I second the opinion about the smell, it is disgusting after day 2 or so. And note that this comes from a cabbage lover!
  • Katerbuggs
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. =)
    First off, some people seem to think its only the soup. The main thing you eat all week is the soup yes(2-3 bowls a day) but you follow a food plan. For example. Day one, you eat as much fruit and soup as you want, until you are stuffed. Day two, only veggies and more soup....Day five you eat only lean beef or skinless baked chicken, tomatoes (or other food high in lycopene) and soup etc.

I totally agree that a lifestyle change is what is really needed, but the main appeal to me here is the jump start of getting all the water weight gone. One week of this and no more.

I think I'll mull it over for a few more days. A friend of mine really wants to start this with me. If I do decide to do it, I'll take a break from the 30DS because of the low calories. Maybe that's why I want to do it right now, this is only week one for me with the shred and I'm impatient and want to see results faster, lol.