Beginner Runner

Options
A few years ago I started getting into running, but I did too much too soon and hurt my foot. (The doctor told me I was trying to do too much too soon.) I had gotten up to 5 miles every other day, on my off days I would do an hour of spin class. I would really like to start a running program, but honestly am clueless about how to go about doing it the correct way. Could someone give me some advice to help me get this thing going? Thanks!

Replies

• lml1042
    lml1042 Posts: 121
    Options
    I suggest the couch to 5 k program (C25K). I was never a runner...I hated it actually. I've been doing the program for almost a month and am loving it! Take it slow and pace yourself.

Good Luck!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Make sure you listen to your body to prevent future injuries. If your foot starts hurting significantly during a run: swallow your pride and start walking. Don't run on an injured foot and cause another injury!

That said, a five mile jog every other day can be a bit much for your feet, tendons, ligaments, etc., if you haven't built up to it (especially when running on asphalt). I actually used to get foot pain just by doing one long 6 mile run twice per week. If you start getting nagging pains, give your body time to rest before doing another long jog. Instead of long jogs every other day, mix it up with some shorter interval work sometimes. Eventually you'll be able to run much farther than 5 miles every other day w/o getting injured, but you have to ease yourself up to that point.
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I would really enjoy a new runner group of some kind also. I looked into the C25K but it just wasn't a great fit for me. While I wanted to start running, I wanted to do it in a more casual way. I am just finishing my first semester of law school so while I am able to make exercise a priority I wanted it to be a super adaptive stress reliever for me. So I just started going once or twice a week and have gotten up to every other day. However, being a non runner overall I can still only run 10 or so minutes before needing to walk for a few minutes. I have seen progress and am feeling great about it but would enjoy working up to some 5Ks by spring. That is my goal! Congrats for you for getting back into it. I suppose the most important thing for us to keep in mind is to listen to our bodies and try to follow their lead. Good luck!
  • walkingforacure
    Options
    I have been wanting to begin running as well and plan on starting the couch to 5K program tonight. My son (cancer survivor) did this program a year ago - has done a 5K, 10K and is training for his first half marathon in March 2012. He runs up to 8 miles now.

Good luck!!
  • Primalgal
    Primalgal Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I am in Week 6 of C25k. I think it is a great way to ease into running. Just remember to not be afraid to repeat a week if you feel you're not ready to move on. Good luck!
  • lazyspice
    lazyspice Posts: 8,515 Member
    Options
    Another vote for C25K here - I've just completed week 6.

I have NEVER been a runner, started C25K in October and at the weekend I ran 2 miles in 26.5 minutes. My time can be worked on and I'm doing it all on the treadmill (so far) but it's a MASSIVE achievement for me to run at all.