How do I do this? Calories, carbs, proteins... Help!!!

Options
I'm new to this so I have one question I really need help with. I know I need to stay under the maximum number of calories I've got but algo under the number of carbs, proteins, etc..., right? But how can you balance them out? For example, if I eat one thing I eat too much protein but if eat something else I go over my carbs, etc. Do I need to eat all my carbs, proteins, etc.? Thanks for helping a rookie.

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Calories is what will determine weight loss, everything else is just a general guideline to help you keep some balance.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Calories is what will determine weight loss, everything else is just a general guideline to help you keep some balance.

Agreed
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    If you have trouble balancing your macros (carbs/proteins/fats) you can always change them in the custom goals section.

It takes practice to balance them, focus on calories for now until you have more experience.
  • Naomi_84
    Naomi_84 Posts: 197 Member
    Options

^This^

I try to stay under on fat, sodium and sugar as I know that too much of these are detrimental to weight loss and usually go over on fibre and protein.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You do not need to stay under the default number it gives you for protein.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    It's very hard to eat too much protein. MFP's default macros (the divisions in the types of foods) are very carb-heavy imo. As UTR says, they are just guidelines for balance, but certain combinations WILL help increase your satiety (feeling of being full) more than others when on a deficit, and also help maximize production of lean muscle if you are doing resistance training.

Personally, I'd recommend going for 40/30/30 P/C/F to start with, and see if that's difficult for you. For most people, economics is the main factor in difficulty trying to eat high protein and low carb. See what you think and go from there.
  • silandena
    silandena Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot everybody!
  • silandena
    silandena Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Very helpful. I'll make sure to follow your advice. Thanks a lot!!!