Confession, I am not who I thought I was..

Options
I thought I was unstoppable but now I see that I am. When I started this weight loss journey I came out guns blazing but now my fire is burning out. I consistently lost weight every week and now the weight loss has stopped. I no longer have the passion that I had and it all started with taking a break for Thanksgiving. I cannot seem to get back in my groove. I really want to stay on track and lose my next 19.3 pounds by February 3, 2012 but it is so hard to find my motivation. This is really a cry for help and I know if there is anyone that can help it will be MyFitnessPal family. I need your motivation and support and I need a stiff kick in the butt. I know I am better than this and certainly don’t want to go back to where I started. Today is day 190 for me on MyFitnessPal and the person I thought I was deserves better than this. I am sticking to my declaration to not weight in until 12/31/2011 and on that day if want to meet my goal in February I need to be at least 183ish to make it. Wish me luck. Thanks for listening (reading). :smile:

Replies

• JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    You can do this. That is why I don't take "breaks" I know if I fall off the wagon I risk not getting back on. Here's my advice....

Log in every day, everything you eat and exercise! Don't beat yourself up over any mistakes. You will not lose every week, take measurements! I do mine monthly. Make sure you are eating enough! Eat back some or all your exercise calories. This is a lifestyle change not a diet! Motivation comes from within, you have to want this badly enough to do the work and you will find a great support system here!
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I go thorough the same thing every so often. I am pleased with my progress then become overwhelmed with how much more I need to achieve. Don't give up, you can do it!!! Find little things to keep you motivated. I have pictures of the old, heavy me on my fridge and bathroom mirror. I stare at them reminding myself how unhealthy I was and how wonderful I feel now. This livestyle change is a mind game but you're stronger than it is and you can do it!!!

Feel free to add me and we'll motivate each other :flowerforyou:

Sláinte
  • melainemelaine
    melainemelaine Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You've achieved so much, don't give up now!

If you can't get back into the 'old' groove, maybe try something new? A new sort of exercise, or recipes, maybe change your routine for the exercise, to make it more interesting again? just suggestions. I allow myself 'bad' days, but just because I can't be 'always' good, but I have a rule of being good on my days of work, so when I'm on duty, I stick to my cals etc and today for example I will have to either walk home (45mins) or do some cardio when I get in after my 12h shift as I already eaten my daily allowance.

Hope you find your life-style mojo back!
  • hojo94
    hojo94 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You have done AH-MAZE-ING thus far, you have accomplished so much... it is a bump in the road, just thing, you have less than HALF of what you have lost to lose by Feb. SO, don't let it freak you out... get back in the saddle, and go at it great guns! YOU CAN DO THIS!!! You can TOTALLY OWN this~ besides, it is the people like you, that have done so great, that make people like me that have done little to nothing, really think we can do this! So my vibe, is coming off of you!
  • shatora21
    shatora21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I completely understand how you feel. I too feel as though it all went downhill after thanksgiving. For me, when I get to a point of needing to jumpstart my motivation and get my weight loss going,I make a short term goal. Maybe saying to yoursef that for 3 days you will eat VERY clean, or for 4 days this week your goal will be to have a 600 calorie burn in the gym. Short term goals are so much easier to manage and they're more realistic. Also, remember why you wanted to lose the weight in the first place! Bring yourself back to that place for a moment. Remember how you felt, this may be just the thing to get you going.

Wish you all the best!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I get frustrated when I stop losing too, but I try to look at it this way. Whether or not I've lost weight this week, working out and eating better is helping me be healthier and that's what this is all about. I'll get there eventually. Keep on keepin' on. :smile:
  • reba971
    Options
    No, you are no stopping! You have lost 50 pounds! That is awesome and it took a ton of hard work, don't waste all that work. I know how easy it is to get out of the groove. I do it all the time. I have not worked out since Thanksgiving myself and I really need to get back to it! Keep your eye on the prize. You can do this and remember that you are unstoppable! You are awesome, look at what you have done and know that you can do so much more. Your goals are reasonable. Just buy the right food and get your butt moving. You have 2 1/2 months till your February goal...any one can do anything for 2 months! You can do it, be strong, be healthy and in Februrary you can have a great time and look great too!
  • mrs_joshica
    mrs_joshica Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Sitting right where you are so I can identify, truly I can. I think I've learned that even if you are going to allow yourself to eat certain things that you wouldn't normally, like say for the holidays, or in my case, "Fall Festival", DO NOT ALLOW YOURSELF TO CONSIDER IT A BREAK! I think that is the worst pitfall every because a break becomes a pattern, a pattern becomes a habit, and before you know it you are in a viscous cycle trying to figure out how you got here, and how to get out.With that said, I KNOW what you are going through. However, the good news is, is this, whatever motivated you in the first place to get the weight off and to get on track, ponder it, meditate on it, and intake why you are doing what you are doing. For me, I remember my health, my children, that I want to be around for them, and in good health. I am remembering the sickness and disease that obesity can cause me, and I remember that taking baby steps, even if it is not the level you had before, but constant baby steps in that direction, is still getting up. God Bless, and I remember, I can do ALL things through Christ that strengthens me!
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Girl, I hear you loud and clear. I've been struggling since going on vacation around Thanksgiving. I just keep telling myself that today is a new day. I thank God for another day to get back on track and keep moving forward. This is a journey, not a quick fix. Remember all the hard work you've put in and all the knowledge you've gained. I know this journey is largely a mental battle. It's hard to keep focused sometimes but remind yourself of all the reasons you started this journey and made the commitment to yourself to keep moving forward on it. YOU CAN DO IT, FREDA!
  • Shaping_My_Destiny
    Options
    Ok Freda...we are here for you! Let's start by a new confession :). Even if you don't believe it, tell yourself what you need to hear...I am not unstoppable! I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me! I can do this! I never quit! I have more passion now than I did before. Get your confession right first...because it starts in the head.

Now, that said, just commit to doing something for 10 or 15 minutes at a time. COMMIT! Then do it! Let's see where we are and I know you've got lots of HOO left in your RAH!

Let's gooooo!!!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat from JULY until November.
    You are not weak or a failure. Just like when you initially started this journey, you have to just get going. Wanting it is not always enough, it has be something deeper. All my life I was chunky and wanted to be thinner and healthy. But I didnt start until I was 24!

Have a heart to heart with yourself and realize that if you give up and stop, you will be unhappy with yourself and you know you are not a failure.

Set mini-goals for yourself. Now that I am back on the wagon, I am so mad at myself knowing that I could be at my goal weight. But hey, *kitten* happens. Everyday you don't try is one more day of being unhappy.

You can dooooooo it!!!!!!!!! Start today!
  • progresseeker2311
    Options
    Put your "fattest" "ugly" pic on your fridge, in your car, at work, or wherever else you go. let it follow you so that you can always remember why you should go ahead and exercise that day, or why you don't need another fat snack because you just had your "cheat" meal. or just take all of your clothes off and look in the mirror at yourself. This is what I do. or if you want, buy a skimpy outfit that you want to look great in next summer. no more breaks! I had a thanksgiving meal...ONE meal. no weight gain or guilt. just get off that break, and get back on mentally. I really don't think it's easier to be fat and eat whatever you want because we all are familiar with those "reminder" moments ridden with guilt plus... you lost 50 lbs!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Whether they admit it or not, EVERYONE goes through stages like this. I've had one for about 2 months now. The biggest challenge is not to feel like a failure, and not to flog yourself TOO much. We're human, we get tired, we get frustrated, we wanna lay down sometimes. But that just makes us HUMAN, not a FAILURE. What's that saying..."The only failure is in giving up..."? You haven't done that yet, 'cause you're still here, and you're talking about how you feel. :flowerforyou:

I find when I'm flogging myself too much, that's when it takes me forever to get back up. Take a deep breath, look how far you've come, and then take another step. You'll get there.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    You are five times healthier than you were six months ago -- Congratulations!

And you will be twice again as healthy in two months. Don't beat yourself up, congratulate yourself and continue the great work!!
  • ladyprofaz
    Options
    You can do this. I noticed that you said you work in an office and sit all day. So do I. So I put a timer on my computer and every 30 minutes when it goes off I stand up and do ten of something: squats, touch my toes, shrugs, arm circles, etc. I never count it as exercise but it gets me moving a bit and brightens my day and my attitude. Try it!
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hi Freda, I just checked out your photos -- you are looking awesome! You've come such a long way toward the healthy life you want to live. Perhaps this is just your clue that it's time to change things up. Expand your horizons to try some new things, and just keep that healthy life-style first and foremost in your daily committment. YOU can do it -- hopefully just be reading these notes, you can realize that you are not alone, and you ARE the best friend who will not let yourself down. Have a heart-to-heart with Freda, and MOVE ON. You can do it, I have faith! :flowerforyou:
  • grammaneicy
    Options
    Just joined today because I used to eat right and was self motivated to keep on track...when I went to nursing school I was working 40 hrs a week and school 9 -12 hrs weekly as well as study time...junk food was quick and easy.Now 20 lbs and 5 years later, I am struggling to "restart" myself. So today I said, enough is enough, if I want to be healthy I need to quit making excuses, get out the exercise tapes I have but don't use...go to the store and buy the fresh produce I need to have at every meal as well as lean meats for protein...plan ahead so I'm not grabbing a frozen unhealthy option and plan to make healthier choices.Don't really think this is much help ,just wanted you to know I've been off track for way to long so don't wait as long as I did to find that motivation , you've done awesome so far, you'll rock out those last few pounds too :)
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Dearest Freda,

I believe in you and know you can do this. This was me several weeks ago. So I know you CAN and WILL get back on track. Look how much you have accomplished in your 190 days of joining MFP. YOU are amazing and am very proud of you. We all go through this phase, but the key is not to give up or beat yourself up about feeling this way. Get up, dust yourself off and keep pushing forward.

I found this quote below and thought it my help you too.

“Don't wait until everything is just right. It will never be perfect. There will always be challenges, obstacles and less than perfect conditions. So what. Get started now. With each step you take, you will grow stronger and stronger, more and more skilled, more and more self-confident and more and more successful.” Author Mark Victor Hanson

I am here for you sis.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Real talk... It's your life, it's your healthy, it's your dream. Either you want it or you don't. No one can say anything that is going to get you back on the wagon. You need to dig deep and find that for yourself. You need to become self-reliant and self-motivated if you ever want this to work.

If you want to lose the weight, if you want to live your life to the best of your ability then get off your butt, get in the gym, and go back to your calorie plan.
  • EnergeticErma46
    EnergeticErma46 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Mrs Freda, you are doing an Awesome job. Please don't give up now. We all have those days and we all have felt are feeling what you are feeling, but look back at your progress and you don't have that much to go. I've seen your pictures and I have seen you in person and my friend you look wonderful. You are a beautiful person inside and out. You are an inspiration to me. I see you guys logging on and I see the progress you are making and I keep telling myself, "girl you are gonna get to this point", so don't give up, sometimes we are sat back to be set up, and that set up is to reach your goal. This race is not given to the swift but it is given to the one that will endure. If you eat the calories then work it back off. Calories in, Calories out!!!! So this is your Stiff Kick in your small BUTT!!!! LOL!!!! AND YES YOU ARE BETTER THAN THAT!!!!!!! Thanks for the motivation and support you have sent my way.