Burning Calories questions

Options
So I have a HRM (polar FT60). When I first started doing the elliptical machine I could only burn about 400 calories in 60 minutes, then I worked my way up to 600 calories in 60 minutes. Now the last few times I've worked out, I've kept my heart rate where I did before and am loosing calories for burn, less than 500 now. However, I've also lost weight. Is it harder to burn calories after you start to loose weight? How do I get my calories burned higher again with out bringing my heart rate up super crazy high? Just have to work out longer now? 90 mins on the elliptical?

Thanks!

Replies

• amayzingamanda
    amayzingamanda Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Is it harder to burn calories after you start to loose weight?

bump.... interested in the answer to that part as well.
  • jessica7368
    jessica7368 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    anyone??
  • thatlittlebit
    thatlittlebit Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you're lighter you have less mass to move therefore need to expend less energy to move your body, therefore burn less.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you're lighter you have less mass to move therefore need to expend less energy to move your body, therefore burn less.

and that means you're more fit to either push harder or longer to burn more than before. Usually your heart rate adjusts the more you work out so you can workout harder than you would have before with a lower heart rate. Just curious, why are you worried about your heart rate? Its good to get that heart pumping :)
  • jessica7368
    Options

and that means you're more fit to either push harder or longer to burn more than before. Usually your heart rate adjusts the more you work out so you can workout harder than you would have before with a lower heart rate. Just curious, why are you worried about your heart rate? Its good to get that heart pumping :)

well according to my Polar FT60 watch I'm burning a much higher percentage of fat at 150BPM vs 170BPM. So I figured its better to keep it lower?
  • jessica7368
    Options
    Remember though... being lighter only explains it if the OP is adjusting the weight settings on the HRM, as she is keeping the HR at the same levels, and thus will produce the same burn unless she has adjusted the weight setting.. I sometimes forget to do this... and others may as well.

I have been adjusting my weight on my HRM as I have been loosing weight.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

well according to my Polar FT60 watch I'm burning a much higher percentage of fat at 150BPM vs 170BPM. So I figured its better to keep it lower?

Honestly, those fat burning/fitness zones are a myth.. you are going to burn fat no matter where your heart rate is at.

Spending 90 minutes on the elliptical sounds like torture to me.. as does 60 minutes.

My advice, let your heart rate roam where it may and see what happens.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Don't forget! When you have been doing a specific exercise your body gets more used to it! So your body will not need to burn as much. Switch up your routine.....do something different
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Don't for get to subtract your RMR from calories burned, can't count calories you would have burned during that time just sitting on the couch.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Don't forget! When you have been doing a specific exercise your body gets more used to it! So your body will not need to burn as much. Switch up your routine.....do something different

^^ This

Try interval cardio rather than steady-state. You'll be amazed at the difference in how fatigued you feel afterwards. I don't recommend doing it for more than 40-45 minutes, though. If you're really antsy, put in a tabata sequence in the last 4 minutes and then take a long nap ;)
  • CurlyQTee
    Options
    I do intervals. I go 30 sec at my normal pace and then 30 at as fast as I can. My resistance is set anywhere between 8,9,10.
    I have burned the most that way and man do I feel like I just had the best work out. I have a bad knee and can't run any longer but, I can do this. Good luck.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to burn 500 calories? During the work week, on my more intense workouts, I burn 400 (after subtracting what I would have burned sitting on the couch). On slower days I will just walk my dogs and burn 200. I just adjust my food intake accordingly.
  • rachelmarie1
    rachelmarie1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight you have to work harder to burn calories.Try increasing the resistance or working out longer. I'd do the resistance personally. I also use an elliptical for my cardio. When my body gets used to the time, I up the time on it by 10 min. I'm up to 40 minutes right now. You can also try working out twice in the same day to burn more calories. Try doing 30-40 minute workout first thing in the morning and another 30 minute workout at night. That's my plan once I get to the 60 minute marker. :-) Good luck!
  • jessica7368
    Options
    ^^ This

Try interval cardio rather than steady-state. You'll be amazed at the difference in how fatigued you feel afterwards. I don't recommend doing it for more than 40-45 minutes, though. If you're really antsy, put in a tabata sequence in the last 4 minutes and then take a long nap ;)
    [/quote]

what do you mean interval cardio? When I do the elliptical I do select random interval for the program.
    My typical work out is mon/wed/sun (elliptical and lift weights) and then tues/thurs/sat. 60 min. step class
  • jessica7368
    Options
    Why do you have to burn 500 calories? During the work week, on my more intense workouts, I burn 400 (after subtracting what I would have burned sitting on the couch). On slower days I will just walk my dogs and burn 200. I just adjust my food intake accordingly.

Because I want to loose weight and I notice I don't loose much unless I'm burning higher calorie counts. How do I know what I'm burning sitting on the couch?
  • thatlittlebit
    thatlittlebit Posts: 46 Member
    Options

Because I want to loose weight and I notice I don't loose much unless I'm burning higher calorie counts. How do I know what I'm burning sitting on the couch?

You wear your HRM on the couch a few times to test
  • PepeGreggerton
    Options

Your RMR / 24 for calories per hour.

• PepeGreggerton
    Options

Your RMR / 24 for calories per hour.