zig zagging calories

Options
I know there has been a lot posted on here about. I just read through several searches from other forums as well. I understand the concept, but didn't know if anyone could answer my question. Should you zig zag your net calories or just pick a set number and stick to that regardless of what you burnt? My calorie burn varies greatly from barely nothing to 1000 a day, so if I should zig zag net that makes sense, just need some reassurance. Thank you!

Replies

• chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    The freedieting.com site has a great calculator that will work out a zigzag schedule for you. It figures out your maintenance and weightloss calories like MFP, then you can click for the 'zigzag' option to give you a schedule. They also have an option for you to list the amount you exercise. If you list yourself as exercising, it automatically adds in extra calories in the zigzag schedule to account for extra energy for workouts. So you could ever do that and stick to that schedule (not eating specific exercise calories as they would already be factored in) OR you could create the zigzag calorie schedule based on not exercising and then add back your exercise calories on the days that you do work out. That's what I'm thinking anyway. It might be really good motivation for you to workout on the really low calorie days in the zigzag.....
  • cjwolfjen
    cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Really it doesn't matter whether its net calories or not. As long as you are switching things up, keeping your body guessing, it should work.
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Helpful post, thanks!
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I do this because I intermittently fast a couple days a week.
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I like to have a couple of low days to counteract a couple of high ones when I have alcohol and a really nice meal cooked by darling hubbie who thinks anything without fat and salt is inedible they don't have to correspond with high workout days as long as the week balances take a look at my diary if you like
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I stick to a simple zig zag. Sometimes it's calories, sometimes carbs, sometimes protein. As long as it keeps changing, the idea is that it keeps your body in shock.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Any other suggestions? I am trying zig zagging my net calories, and see how that works.