Healthy breakfast options

Options
I'm finding my least nutritious meal of the day is breakfast, and only because I keep eating cereal. I need some new ideas for breakfast that do not include eggs! Every other idea is awesome, but eggs and I cannot mix.

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    what about oatmeal? i like to add apples and cinnamon to mine (i also add some protein poweder).

greek yogurt.

cottage cheese.

dinner leftovers.
  • andreacord
    Options
    If you like cereal, what about oatmeal? I buy the instant packets and throw in a scoop of vanilla protein powder for a protein boost and it gives flavor without added sugar , I use Jillian Michaels , you can get it at walmart.
    Protein shake possibly? Try out some frozen fruit with some milk and a scoop of powder .. really good if you're not a breakfast person, or a meal replacement shake.
    Clif bars are good too, kind of high in carbs but really tasty.
    Regular smoothies too.
    Yogurt and granola? I eat yogurt with Kashi berry crumble in it, 3/4 of a cup has the same amount of protein as an egg.
    Protein pancakes if you have the time in the morning are fabulous. Jamie Eason has a really good one for pumpkin spice protein pancakes.

That's all I have, good luck with breakfast! That being said too, you don't technically have to eat breakfast at breakfast. My meals are reverted because I'm a college student who's nocturnal because of studying .. so I've had days where i've had soup or chicken or a salad for breakfast, something random for lunch and breakfast food for dinner. It just has to be something to keep you gong and fueled for the day, I know a lot of people that really hate breakfast food and just eat normal food for breakfast.. Sorry for the rant =)
  • morgandy
    Options
    I usually eat muesli or oatmeal. There's a lot you can do with oatmeal :) And I mean the large, unprocessed oat flakes, not the instant stuff. It takes 10 minutes to cook on the stove and you can spice it up with nuts, cinnamon or nutmeg, honey, apple sauce, or anything else your creative inner chef can come up with.
  • lthomas42
    lthomas42 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Man these are all great ideas. I'm definitely going to grab some low fat plain yogurt and nuts on my next grocery run, but keep the ideas coming!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I usually have a chobani greek yogurt (I like strawberry and blueberry the best and those are 0% fat), a couple of cheese sticks and an apple or banana. I keep this stuff at work and just snack at my desk.

On the weekend I usually have an omelet (but you said no eggs). I do like oatmeal though. Instead of the pre-sweetened flavored instant packets I buy the Quaker instant oats in the round container and cook in the microwave with milk and add my own butter and brown sugar and cinnamon. If I'm being bad, sometimes I will have pancakes, but then I am usually so full I don't have lunch so I still manage to meet calories.
  • morgandy
    Options
    Oh, what about muffins? I used to make these amazing blueberry muffins that used mashed, ripe bananas instead of oil and butter for a nice, low fat option. You can keep them in your freezer and they travel easy.
  • SlenderSuze
    SlenderSuze Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to learn to think more about food as fuel. For convenience this morning I had left over grilled pork tenderloin and a half cup of sauteed spinach. Not your usual breakfast fare but it's kept me full until lunch:)
  • lisabell118
    lisabell118 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I usually eat Light yogurt with granola or a granola type cereal. Very good and keep me full until lunch.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    I like fresh fruit, yogurt, granola bars (special k), oatmeal
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    steak & eggs
  • MarieAnneN
    Options
    I usually eat muesli or oatmeal. There's a lot you can do with oatmeal :) And I mean the large, unprocessed oat flakes, not the instant stuff. It takes 10 minutes to cook on the stove and you can spice it up with nuts, cinnamon or nutmeg, honey, apple sauce, or anything else your creative inner chef can come up with.

I approved, and tast and texture is way better + better to ease out cholesterol to. Add flax seeds grounded and dried fruits, you will have a complete and satisfying meal.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, fresh fruit, english muffin/bagel (I do muffins because I can get whole grain with full fiber and way less sodium/calories), or egg beaters. Great substitute for eggs when you're craving them! Also oatmeal or something like the Kashi multigrain cereals.
  • lthomas42
    lthomas42 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Oh, what about muffins? I used to make these amazing blueberry muffins that used mashed, ripe bananas instead of oil and butter for a nice, low fat option. You can keep them in your freezer and they travel easy.

Muffins are surprisingly bad for you though
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Sliced banana with melted peanut butter drizzled over it or almond milk and frozen raspberry smoothie are two of my favorite options.
  • CRSE1214
    CRSE1214 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My husband and boys love grapes nuts, plain vanilla yogurt and a fruit of your choosing (theirs is a banana or peaches) mixed together!
  • nvouvalis
    Options
    I used to hate cottage cheese. Really, really hate it. But after using it to make some killer mac and cheese and having some left over in the fridge, I gave it another try about ten years later. I mixed it with some fruit (blueberries, strawberries and mango are my favorites) and viola, I had a new breakfast option! I do my grocery shopping on Sundays, come home, throw a half cup of cottage cheese in with a half cup of whatever fruit I want to five little containers, and I have breakfast ready to walk out the door with each morning. Sometimes I even throw a little whipped cream on top to make it a dessert.

I find that instant oatmeal and a piece of fruit are pretty nice breakfasts, too. I know people are hating on instant oatmeal, but I get up with the least amount of time possible to get ready in the a.m., so I don't want to worry about making an intricate breakfast. I need to be able to grab it and walk out the door.

I do yogurts, too, but I just find that I'm not as full as when I do cottage cheese or oatmeal, necessitating a snack around 10:30 or 11.
  • christina_michelle
    Options
    Check out www.dashingdish.com. This cook is full of good stuff! Definitely some yummy ideas, but does requiring cooking a lot (however some things like her healthy muffin alternatives can be cooked in bulk)
  • EroseT23
    EroseT23 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Muffins are surprisingly bad for you though

They don't have to be. It depends on what you mean by "bad for you." If you mean high in fat, then do like it says and use bananas or other fruit puree (applesauce and pureed plums are also good) instead of oil or butter. If you mean high carb, well, maybe, but you can use whole wheat flour or mix with oats or add some ground flax seed for texture. That stuff is all good for you and helps to keep you full. I make savory muffins with whole wheat flour, Canadian bacon, a little sharp cheddar, and diced up bell pepper and green onions. Under 200 calories a muffin and so good! Explore your options. :)
  • jmehere
    jmehere Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I usually have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on whole wheat bread with a small glass of 1% milk or coffee with milk. It keeps me full until lunch. I used to eat a banana with half a sandwich, but I have issues with bananas now.
    This morning I had a chocolate whey protein mocha (cold) with toast and a little butter, but a bagel would have been good, too. There's always oatmeal with nuts, too.
  • zbmb30
    zbmb30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You probably want some protein. If you don't like eggs, how about trying a piece of whole wheat toast with some peanut butter? That's one of my favorite breakfasts, but I am trying to cut away from it because I have a tendency to get hooked onto peanut butter :) I find that it sticks with you so you don't feel real hungry so quickly. If not peanut butter, maybe some almond butter?