Got any good recipes for butternut/buttercup squash?

Options
writtenINthestars
writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
I've been craving squash for some reason but am sick of the basic boiled pieces or mashed squash.....didn't find much appealing when I googled it so curious if any mfp'ers have any recipes they swear by.

TIA! =)

Replies

• kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Bump; I need some of these ideas myself :-D
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I just cut it in quarters, bake face down w/ a bit of water in the bottom of the pan. Flip up for last 10 minutes or whatever.

Put brown sugar and butter on top and eat.

Very fancy, I know. :)
  • Poot1971
    Poot1971 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Cut into one inch pieces coat with olive oil and Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb blend. Roast @ 425 until tender.. So sweet no brown sugar needed...
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    i bake mine face down with some olive oil, garlic and black pepper.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    make some soup!
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    yum- I need some good recipes for this also
  • cgavin77
    cgavin77 Posts: 219
    Options
    I cube/boil squash (and some carrots). Put all in a food processor along w/ plain greek yogurt, cinnamon, nutmeg and a little squeeze of honey... process until smooth.
    YUM!
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I made a version of this at Thanksgiving and it was so delicious. I replaced the half and half with skim milk and used only 1T of a light butter spread with canola oil (Land O Lakes). I still used 2T of butter for the topping but you could do that differently to cut down on the calories.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/squash-casserole-with-crunchy-pecan-topping/
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My mom makes an amazing soup!!!

She first takes some garlic, a little extra virgin olive oil (1 tsp), onions and then puts the cubed squash in it with leeks and pears and water. Lets simmer and squash cook --- then blends it all. Adds a tablespoon of maple syrup and a dash of hot sauce --- its the best soup I've ever had.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Soup recipe: Slice squash into chunks or halves, deseed and roast skin side up, brushed with a little olive oil, until the skin blisters. Allow to cool. Meanwhile slice an onion and fry until translucent in a little olive oil, add chilli - powdered, flakes or fresh, and ginger (I prefer fresh) to taste and cook for a minute. Add squash flesh, and cover with stock - chicken or vegetable is best. Simmer until the squash begins to break down, then add salt and pepper to taste, and puree with a stick blender or similar. Freezes well.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Cut into cubes. Toss with sugar free maple syrup and put in a pan. Sprinkle a little bit of salt on it and bake it.

I also toss it with olive oil, oregano and salt and bake it - this is good for sweet potatoes too.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Kraft has an amazing recipe for a Parmesan butternut squash. It includes olive oil, red onions and Parmesan cheese. LOVE LOVE LOVE It.

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/butternut-squash-parmesan-118967.aspx
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    The last time I bought butternut squash I baked it in the oven, then pureed in the blender with baking spices(I have a blend that has cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, allspice, and ginger. I added some smart balance and chicken broth to thin it out. Came out delicious! You can go a more savory route and only do salt and pepper. Really, add what you like.
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I like them cut up like hashbrowns and cooked the same way.
  • txwomyn
    Options
    Cut into one inch pieces coat with olive oil and garlic and herbs. Than bar -b que them on the pit with Mushroom, Onion, Tomato.
    Yum yum.
  • mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    bake at 350 for 40-50 mins with a little olive oil, rosemary and sprinkle of parm cheese. Super good
  • mmelaragno
    Options
    I made this for Thanksgiving with butternut squash instead of acorn. It was super good, the only thing I would change about it is to use less tomato paste.

http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/Thanksgiving-Mario-Batali-Stuffed-Acorn-Squash
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I cut it up and roasted it in the oven with potatoes. I added most of the spices to the potatoes and not as many to the squash.
    Squirt with some olive oil and the flavor of the squash really shined in the oven. :happy:
  • Hola723
    Hola723 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am not as talented as everyone who bakes theirs. I cut mine into small cubes and throw it in a microwaveable Pyrex with a teaspoon of low-calories maple syrup and a teaspoon of fake butter for 5 minutes. I make sure to give it a good stir when it comes out of the microwave.