Too much protein

Options
I have a 6oz thing of Fage greek yogurt every morning. It is packed with protein, which is great b/c it keeps me from getting hungry. The problem is I eat too much protein every day. That number is always in red on my diary. Is that bad? What are the problems with eating more protein than suggested?

Replies

• RhondaRowsell
    RhondaRowsell Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you are building muscle , you need more protein anyway. If you went crazy and started eating a whole container of protein powder everyday, you could hurt your kidneys, but just a little extra protein from your food will help you build muscle.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Going over on protein is not bad. Actually the amount MFP recommends is quite low. You can go in and change your nutritional goals if you want to - the standard MFP rec is not necessarily what works for everyone, it's just a starting point. A lot of people on here eat 100g+ protein per day even though that's much more than MFP recommends if you don't change the settings.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The topic of how much protein to eat is a bit controversial. If you're on a diet, then don't worry about eating too much protein. It will probably be good for weight loss.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Unless you are eating like 150% of your bodyweight in protein grams, or have pre-existing kidney or liver issues, keep eating protein.