Dealing with anxiety?

Options
Anyone with anxiety problems? How do you deal with it?

Replies

• shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with anxiety and panic issues for about 15 years, I generally have a pretty good handle on it now, if you want to message me I will see if I can help?
  • Jrabbit81sleeved
    Jrabbit81sleeved Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I take tablets from the doctor which I can honestly say changed my life, although I still get anxious sometimes, it's no where near as intense as before. Xxx
  • Salamanda425
    Options
    I do, but I'm medicated for them! I tried to fight off anxiety naturally, but I couldn't seem to do it. I only have about 1-2 panic attacks a month now that I'm medicated though.
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    Once my dad told me what I had, the panic part went away but I dealt with anxiety feelings for ten years. After a 14 year absence, it came back. Still no panic. I just use mind distractions like gaming, cleaning. Light a candle, use a warming bag around my neck. That gives me good feelings. Try to get enough sleep. Exercise helps alot. Having goals to work towards. Which is kind of a mind distraction. I don't like pills but I'm sure if I had panic, I'd probably get on a prescription. Seeing a therapist would be great.
    It feels like a sickness, like a cold. I just have to ride it out. Most months now go pretty good with just pms and that time of month being a bother.
    Find what works for you. Seek help through a doctor.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Anxiety can be a managed problem with correct medication. Ive been on paxil for years and it has helped me deal with things I could deal with before. Talk to your dr.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I do on occasion.
    Had more severe anxiety 3-4 years ago. Took medication for a while, but I found that it just lead to dependance.

Try learning your triggers (what gives you panic attacks) and learn to recognize the small signs that you're getting ready to have one. Then practice methods that will stop the attack. Deep/slow breathing always helped me a ton.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Frequently. Though not as often as before.
  • Luv2BMommy
    Options
    I started having panic attacks in March of 2006. I've taken lexapro ever since. Breathing exercises and relaxation tapes are also very good. I have a couple on my ipod that I listen to when I go to bed sometimes.
  • zbmb30
    zbmb30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I do. I don't know if it can be genetic, but my dad, my uncle, my grandad, and my great grandmother all had it. My dad used to be on medicine for it, but got off of the medicine because he didn't like being on it. He probably should stay on it. I don't think I have it as severe. I've been to to doctor before for it. I just try to stop and do deep breathing and just block everything out. Exercise also helps. I use to get them a lot when I was in college, but now I just get them occassionally.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I do on occasion.
    Had more severe anxiety 3-4 years ago. Took medication for a while, but I found that it just lead to dependance.

Try learning your triggers (what gives you panic attacks) and learn to recognize the small signs that you're getting ready to have one. Then practice methods that will stop the attack. Deep/slow breathing always helped me a ton.

^^^ I 2nd this. Once you find your triggers it helps you to stop them from happening, or having huge attacks. I didn't want to be dependant on medication, so I went to therapy and learned to listen to my body. I went from having anxiety attacks every day to have them once every 6 months or so. Exercising also helps me keep my anxiety levels low. That rush of good endorphins from working out, helps to block the receptors in your brain!
  • RhonndaJ
    Options
    Part II... because I'm an idiot.

How I deal with it.

Medication because it's part of my mental health issues, and other coping strategies. Avoidance of triggers, if possible. Distraction such as reading, music, crochetting (I found things that required repetitious motion help me), typing. Visualisation.
  • kdsor20
    Options
    I too am on Paxil, and I have only had one major anxiety spell (back in March) since September of 2010 which was when I started Paxil. I also bought a book by Joe Barry that teaches you to completely eliminate panic and anxiety. So, a combo of med, the book, good diet, and tons of exercise = one happy girl
  • stargazerjana
    stargazerjana Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've had anxiety ALL of my life, and have been medicated for it MOST of my life...not anymore. I've been using the treadmill! And it helps better than any medication I have ever taken!!!
  • RhonndaJ
    Options
    The other thing ... is it anxiety/panic attacks... or just more low level constant anxiety?
  • catattack13
    Options
    Exercise helps :). But mostly, like what faintgreeneyes just said, know yourself. Keep a log of what is freaking you out, and figure out how to deal with those things. I used to have anxiety attacks every couple months, and the last time I had one was over a year ago? And it was very minor.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i've had OCD since i was a kid. have been medicated on and off, although not since 2006. did some therapy in 2008; it was ok. did a lot of reading on the disorder, and have found effective ways to deal with it behaviorally. i'm leaving the door open to future medications if it ever gets to be too much, but i'm functioning fine.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    With nervous/self destructive habits such as plucking out my eyebrows with my nails, peeling the skin off my lips till they bleed, tapping my foot until my shin splints hurt, etc. I have OCD and GAD so it never really goes away I just come up with ways to tolerate it. I must say though a really good work out KILLS my anxiety for about 4-5 hours!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I too am on Paxil, and I have only had one major anxiety spell (back in March) since September of 2010 which was when I started Paxil. I also bought a book by Joe Barry that teaches you to completely eliminate panic and anxiety. So, a combo of med, the book, good diet, and tons of exercise = one happy girl

Paxil made me weird/crazy and gave me tremors. It killed my appetite and didn't eat for like 5 days. It was weird.... O_o
  • 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I would only take SSRIs (Paxil) if you can't get relief any other way. Recent studies on SSRIs have linked their consumption with increased risk for type 2 diabetes and some studies have found a link between SSRI use and uterine and breast cancers in women, particularly studies where researchers had no financial ties to the pharmaceutical industry.

SSRIs have been found to be no more effective than placebo (for most depressed patients ) and they actually increase the risk of suicide. They have been shown to increase the risk of birth defects, and children of mothers who took SSRIs in pregnancy have twice the rate of autism (this doesn't prove that the SSRI caused the autism but autism rates have gone through the roof since SSRIs came onto the market and studies in rats show that baby rats exposed perinatally, often display autistic symptoms).

Be wary of medications - physicians can't stay up to date about all of the medications they prescribe and most of the info they get comes from the pharm industry, who spends $22 billion a year to market directly to doctors. Just because something is prescribed does not make it safe - DES (diethylstilbestrol) was prescribed to prevent miscarriage for close to three decades until it was banned for use in pregnancy in 1971 when it was found to cause cancer in women who had been exposed prenatally.

The long term effects of SSRIs are unknown...

Here are some links for the a couple of recent studies.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0018210
    http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2011/10/19/1109353108.full.pdf+html
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I have meds for it I always had it but after I had my daughter it intensified.