One year down and a lifetime to go...

Options
Warning...Self Indulgence is abundant in the following post:

12 months ago today, I decided to get myself back into shape. I had various reasons to lose weight such as wanting a healthier lifestyle, be around long enough for my family, reduce certain risk factors, look better and probably the most demanding issue was I didn't want to go out and buy a bunch of fat clothes because I had run out of clothes that fitted.

So during April last year I came across the P90X informercial and thought yeah that looks like something I should be able to do. Well after a little research I realized that NO that was NOT something I could do. So I started off on the baby version, Power 90. So at 4.30am Monday May 5, 2008 I dragged by sorry 245 pound @55 out of bed and pushed play. I nearly died ........ of embarrassment that I couldn't do a proper push up (had to do them on my knees), couldn't do a single chair dip without bending my legs and so on. It was devasting that I let myself go so much. But I continued to push play and it slowly started to come together. I even managed to keep up the workouts while travelling for work. I had hoped for more dramatic results at the end of the 90 days but I was still down 25 pounds and could see results such as pants fitting again.

I again considered the P90X but still thought I wasn't physically ready so went onto the P90 master series. This was a fun workout series as there was good variety and the intensity level was brought up from the Power 90 routines. After the first round I was down another 20 pounds and then another 10 on the subsequent round. Still slower than I wanted but everything was going in the right direction.

Now here I am in week 1 of Phase 2 of my first round of P90X just about 60 pounds lighter than where I was a year ago. Although I no longer get up at 4.30am (I get up at 3.30am) it is actually fun for me to workout and it has become part of my routine and what I do each day.

To those that think it is too hard or takes too long, your right it does take hard work and it does take time but if you do these two things you will see results. If you get yourself into a routine it will take care of itself and you won't have to think about doing it, you will just do it.

Okay, I think I may have to go to the doctor as my arm is sore from patting myself on the back so much. Anyway I hope everyone has similar success that I have had.

Replies

• WallabyBob
    WallabyBob Posts: 71
    Options
    Warning...Self Indulgence is abundant in the following post:

12 months ago today, I decided to get myself back into shape. I had various reasons to lose weight such as wanting a healthier lifestyle, be around long enough for my family, reduce certain risk factors, look better and probably the most demanding issue was I didn't want to go out and buy a bunch of fat clothes because I had run out of clothes that fitted.

So during April last year I came across the P90X informercial and thought yeah that looks like something I should be able to do. Well after a little research I realized that NO that was NOT something I could do. So I started off on the baby version, Power 90. So at 4.30am Monday May 5, 2008 I dragged by sorry 245 pound @55 out of bed and pushed play. I nearly died ........ of embarrassment that I couldn't do a proper push up (had to do them on my knees), couldn't do a single chair dip without bending my legs and so on. It was devasting that I let myself go so much. But I continued to push play and it slowly started to come together. I even managed to keep up the workouts while travelling for work. I had hoped for more dramatic results at the end of the 90 days but I was still down 25 pounds and could see results such as pants fitting again.

I again considered the P90X but still thought I wasn't physically ready so went onto the P90 master series. This was a fun workout series as there was good variety and the intensity level was brought up from the Power 90 routines. After the first round I was down another 20 pounds and then another 10 on the subsequent round. Still slower than I wanted but everything was going in the right direction.

Now here I am in week 1 of Phase 2 of my first round of P90X just about 60 pounds lighter than where I was a year ago. Although I no longer get up at 4.30am (I get up at 3.30am) it is actually fun for me to workout and it has become part of my routine and what I do each day.

To those that think it is too hard or takes too long, your right it does take hard work and it does take time but if you do these two things you will see results. If you get yourself into a routine it will take care of itself and you won't have to think about doing it, you will just do it.

Okay, I think I may have to go to the doctor as my arm is sore from patting myself on the back so much. Anyway I hope everyone has similar success that I have had.
  • BillieBrink
    BillieBrink Posts: 15
    Options
    That is GREAT!!! You should be proud.:smile: Keep up the good work!:tongue: You are motivation for the rest of us!:happy: I am just starting out and have lost 7 pounds so far and want to be were you are in a year from now!!!:flowerforyou:
  • hopeitworks
    hopeitworks Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    This is s great story. Good job on all your hard work and dedication. You should be really proud of yourself. You're a true inspiration. And to those who think it can't be done, you are living proof.
  • rpowersrph
    rpowersrph Posts: 70
    Options
    Great testimony Thanks and congratulations
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration!
    Great job!
    You should show off some before/after pics

Kim
  • cloverluv
    cloverluv Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That's awesome! :drinker:
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    wonderful! thanks for sharing--i just sent your post on to my dh who has ordered the p90x series. thanks for the inspiration!
    :drinker:
  • mbmempireranch
    Options
    What an awesome post..... I remember posting something of the same sort, and while reading yours it brought tears to my eyes. I too got my sorry butt out of bed at 276 lbs and started pushing play with power 90... now years later and over 130 lbs lighter, what can I say... their programs not only work, they change you in ways that make you never look back...

Congrats ;) I am so happy for you ... I am finishing up Chalene Extreme in 3 weeks then I'm moving on to p90x finally :)

Congrats again !!
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    Congratulations and thank you for sharing your story with us.
  • WallabyBob
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Yes, it is a lifestyle change but it hasn't stopped me from living a life, lets face it how much is there to do at 3.30 in morning for an hour or so?

The thing I found most useful was little challenges that I set for myself, like making sure that I worked out every day during the first week and then working out that first day after a rest day. Then I got a little more ambitious by trying to keep up with the machines on the DVD's or upping my reps or weight. It was these little challenges that get you through. Just be sure to not have challenges that involve weight loss (eg lose 3 pounds this week) b/c inevitably those challenges are never met but if you use others you will find yourself losing those 3 pounds without thinking about it.
  • WallabyBob
    Options
    What an awesome post..... I remember posting something of the same sort, and while reading yours it brought tears to my eyes. I too got my sorry butt out of bed at 276 lbs and started pushing play with power 90... now years later and over 130 lbs lighter, what can I say... their programs not only work, they change you in ways that make you never look back...

Congrats ;) I am so happy for you ... I am finishing up Chalene Extreme in 3 weeks then I'm moving on to p90x finally :)

Congrats again !!

WOW!!!:noway: That is amazing work, you are nearly half the size you were but I bet you feel twice person though. You will kick but on the X, I have seen Charlene videos, not my thing but they seem to do the job for those inclined. Too many good looking women on those videos...very distracting.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: congrats, that is so awesome.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Congratulations! I love your topic line because that is what we're all seeking...a lifetime lifestyle, not another diet! Good for you!
    Becky
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!