Starving after workouts

Options
I'm just finishing up my third week of working out daily. I work out in the afternoons after my DH gets home to watch the kids so it's usually between 4 and 5 o'clock. When I leave the gym I am starvng with my stomach growling I swear to you as soon as I get in the car. LOL. I try to eat something like a banana, yogurt or nutrigrain bar about an hour before I go to the gym but I'm still starving afterwards. So then I come home shower and fix dinner and I feel like I over eat because I'm so hungry. Any suggestions to keep me from overeating at dinner because I'm so hungry after my workout? Also DH says he thought you where supposed to wait a certain amount of time after a workout before you eat. Is this true? Thanks so much!!

April

Replies

• scrapbookmommy
    Options
    I'm just finishing up my third week of working out daily. I work out in the afternoons after my DH gets home to watch the kids so it's usually between 4 and 5 o'clock. When I leave the gym I am starvng with my stomach growling I swear to you as soon as I get in the car. LOL. I try to eat something like a banana, yogurt or nutrigrain bar about an hour before I go to the gym but I'm still starving afterwards. So then I come home shower and fix dinner and I feel like I over eat because I'm so hungry. Any suggestions to keep me from overeating at dinner because I'm so hungry after my workout? Also DH says he thought you where supposed to wait a certain amount of time after a workout before you eat. Is this true? Thanks so much!!

April
  • kelpie06
    kelpie06 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    There was a great post about eating before and after work-outs. I'm sure somebody will be able to provide the link. I work out at lunch time. I'll eat a small snack about an hour before working out, and then something high in protein within an hour after working out. Usually a protein bar and lots and lots of water. This keeps me going until I have a real meal.
  • vicky1
    vicky1 Posts: 236
    Options
    OK so you are saying you think you overeat at dinner time did you know that it takes time for your stomach to send full messages to the brain what I do is eat my portion controlled dinner have a cup of green tea followed by a tall glass of water before I go for a top up or dessert wait 30 mins if you are still hungry have something good for though. Your body will adjust and it will get easier.

You also feel hungry when dehydrated are you getting enough fluids when you are at the gym. I know I can only sip water during my workouts otherwise I feel sick so I make sure that 1 hr before I drink loads and straight afterwards too.

Good luck
  • scostello24
    scostello24 Posts: 126
    Options
    I completely understand the feeling. What sucks for me though is I dont get to work out until 8 at night after my son goes to bed. But usually about 10 minutes after my workout I am starving. And someone told me that you should not go to bed right after a workout because you build up lactic acid in your muscles. Not sure about that but it makes sense. Anyways I feel your pain but I just hold out as long as possible and then lay in the bed on my stomach..seems to dull the pain..lol. I also chug a big glass of water before I hit the sak. Hopefully poeple can enlighten us on this subject because it is eventually going to break me down and cause me to eat right before I go to bed...which I also heard was BAD!!!!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem all the time. I would burn about 600+ calories in the workout, then wait the hour or two for dinner, then eat everything. Now I have a granola type bar and some fruit. It's usually about 300 calories. If I do weights, my bar has more protein, if all cardio, then more fiber.
    All my granola bars are just food - no added vitamins, protein, or fiber - like Clif nectar bars. I don't know if this makes a difference or not, just a belief I have.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    It's actually *important* to eat right after your workout. Insulin sensitivity is highest then, meaning that if you have a snack of carbs and protein (w/ a little fat as possible) your body will react quickly and the amino acids in the protein will quickly be available for muscle repair. So get a protein bar or make your own (they're really easy) and eat it in the car. When you get home you won't be as hungry. Remember there's nothing wrong with eating at night, and if you're not overeating, it's really not a big deal. Digestion slows while you sleep, but there's nothing wrong with food being digested overnight, that means it's available for repair (which only happens while you sleep!). I actually make it a point to eat right before bed so I don't wake up hungry. scostello, you can go to sleep if you want, I generally take a nap after leg day. The lactic acid will be flushed from your muscles naturally, and sleep, like I said, is the only time you can repair, so a nap right after a workout is actually beneficial (and feels great as well).
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I eat a Detour Protein bar in the car when I leave the gym. I take a bite, then chug some water, take a bite and chug some water, take a bite and chug some water until I am done with it. I usually work out leading up to lunch time so by the time I get home I am not starving. After I am home for a while, I fix a sandwich or just eat some fruit and yogurt.

The triple layer Detour bar tastes almost like snickers! So it is like a treat for me. I buy them at Walmart and Sam's club. I hear they sell them at GNC too. And someone on this board said they saw Tiger Woods eating one on TV a few weekends ago while the camera was on him between holes! If it is good enough for Tiger, then it is good enough for me!!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I work out in the mornings usually and though I am not starving before, I know I will be after, so what I have been doing is eating 1/2 a Clif Luna Bar before the workout and then the other 1/2 after the workout + a small banana. That seems to be a good "Breakfast" and keeps me feeling good but doesn't over stuff me.
  • scrapbookmommy
    Options
    I eat a Detour Protein bar in the car when I leave the gym. I take a bite, then chug some water, take a bite and chug some water, take a bite and chug some water until I am done with it. I usually work out leading up to lunch time so by the time I get home I am not starving. After I am home for a while, I fix a sandwich or just eat some fruit and yogurt.

The triple layer Detour bar tastes almost like snickers! So it is like a treat for me. I buy them at Walmart and Sam's club. I hear they sell them at GNC too. And someone on this board said they saw Tiger Woods eating one on TV a few weekends ago while the camera was on him between holes! If it is good enough for Tiger, then it is good enough for me!!

Thanks for everyones advice. Sounds like I need to take something in my bag to eat between the gym and home. That way I won't overeat at dinner. I pretty much have to fix dinner when I get home because my kids are of course starving and those are the first words out of their mouth when I walk in the door "What's for dinner?" LOL.

Bamboo where in WM and SC do I find the Detour protein bars? They sound great!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Here you go-
    Sun 01/20/08 09:45 AMWhat to Do After a Workout
    When Exercise is Over, the Work Isn't
    -- By Zach Van Hart, Staff Writer
    Many of us have a great pre-workout and workout routine. We drink plenty of water before and during exercise, warm up, stretch, work the entire body, and even get in some cardio training as well. Then, after the last exercise, we promptly head back to the locker room, change, and journey home.

What so many out there do not realize is the importance of what you do after you work out. You may have done the majority of the work, but how you treat your body in the minutes and hours after you exercise has a direct effect on muscle soreness, muscle strength and growth, and staying hydrated.

Cool Down
    After your last exercise, your workout is not over. The first thing you need to do is cool down. Even if running was all that you did, you still should do light cardio for a few minutes. This brings your heart rate down at a slow and steady pace, which helps you avoid feeling sick after a workout. Walking on a treadmill for five minutes is a good and easy way to cool down.

Stretch
    Then, you should stretch again. This is one of the most important things you can do. After a workout, muscles naturally contract. Stretching again prevents them from shrinking. It allows your muscles to rebuild, growing bigger and stronger, and thus allowing you to get the full benefit from your efforts.
    Stretching after exercise also relaxes your muscles, helps speed circulation to joints and tissues, and helps removal of unwanted waste products, thereby reducing muscle soreness and stiffness. Add mental sharpness and you have all the reasons you need to make sure stretching comes not only before, but after every workout as well.

Drink Water
    Even when you are actually done exercising, you need to keep replenishing your fluid levels. It’s recommended that you drink another 2-3 cups within two hours after you have finished. Then, drink water regularly afterwards. You may not feel thirsty anymore, but you still need to replenish yourself to avoid getting dehydrated.

Refuel
    Eating is one of the last, but one of the most important, items to do after a workout. You have not only burned hundreds of calories and lost carbohydrates, but you have also actually torn your muscles. You need to repair your muscles and boost your energy level, and you need to do it fast. It’s recommended that you eat within 90 minutes of your workout, but the sooner the better. Look for foods that are packed with complex carbohydrates and high in protein. A perfect example is a tuna sandwich on whole wheat bread.
    The carbs will re-energize your body, while slowly turning into calories - so you have plenty of time to burn them before they turn to fat. The protein helps repair your muscles, so they grow stronger while your body rests until the next workout.

Next time you put down the dumbbells and think your work is done, remember these after-workout necessities to maximize your efforts and get the most out of exercising.

This article was reviewed and approved by Joe Downie, Certified Personal Trainer and Fitness Coach.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options

Thanks for everyones advice. Sounds like I need to take something in my bag to eat between the gym and home. That way I won't overeat at dinner. I pretty much have to fix dinner when I get home because my kids are of course starving and those are the first words out of their mouth when I walk in the door "What's for dinner?" LOL.

Bamboo where in WM and SC do I find the Detour protein bars? They sound great!

WM has them in two places...over by the vitamins and also over in the grocery area where the "diet" foods are kept.

SC has them over in the vitamin section. WM also sells the singles so you may want to try a few different flavors before you buy in bulk. There are also many other brands. I just went with the Detour bar b/c someone mentioned it here and the whole good enough for Tiger Woods thing!!:happy:
  • scostello24
    scostello24 Posts: 126
    Options
    Wow..tons of good advice. I can honestly say I just learned alot. THANKS GUYS!!!:happy:
  • scrapbookmommy
    Options
    Wow..tons of good advice. I can honestly say I just learned alot. THANKS GUYS!!!:happy:

I agree lots of great info. Thanks so much to everyone! Hopefully your suggestions will help.