Recognizing Emotional Eating

Options
I am eating emotionally right now. I am frustrated at work and the only food I want to eat is the mik chocolate non pareils in my desk drawer. I am not hungry. When I think about the other food that I have already planned for the day ... orange and cup a soup, neither are appealing to me. I have chewed gum to get a new taste in my mouth. I am drinking water and yet I want chocolate. I am also a little PMSy. I had planned for 10 and have no probably eating closer to 20. I am eating because I am frustrated and eating more will not make me less frustrated. So, I am going to have some hot tea and resist for the rest of the afternoon. I just needed to write that out to declare what I was doing and realize that hunger is the not the problem so food is not the answer.

Replies

• kolyn75
    kolyn75 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Wonderful the way you worked this out..hope you have a better day hun. Great job recognizing that milk chocolate is not the answer. Enjoy your tea!!
  • Fmess5
    Fmess5 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting that! I often eat out of emotions. What a great way to stop yourself!
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I think the key point here is that you have encountered a trigger point to your emotional eating. It's great that you have identified it and have found a way to map out your response, but I didn't see the other part of how I am going to deal with the situation the next time, if it should happen again, so I don't have to declare an emotional eating message like this again.

I am not perfect and I have done this as well. I am, however, coming up with role-playing exercises that I can prep myself with so I can respond to moments that trigger my need for comfort (food).

My biggest weakness is going to Mom's house and her telling me I'm too fat, and then she feeds me tons of food, and then tells me I'm eating too much. And, if that wasn't bad, after telling her I don't eat meat, seafood and dairy, she gives me fish to eat. Now, this might seem funny and cute, but this is my mom! It is very stressful to me that a person I love, who knows my diet, still feeds me the foods I refuse to eat.

I figure if I can diffuse the situation with my mom by practicing how I should respond in a manner that's pleasing for the both of us, talking to people at work should be a bit easier.