Tips for gym personnel

MostlyWater
MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
Last year I belonged to Lucille Roberts and my gym membership was cheap. I gave all the desk personnel, the cleaning lady, and my instructors each a nice cash tip.

This year I belong to NYSC and my membership costs a lot more; ostensibly the instructors are paid a lot more too. No one knows me by name because the classes are so large, but there are a few teachers that I see regularly and like very much.

Long story short - are you tipping anyone at the gym, and how much ? Thanks.

Replies

• wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,240 Member
    I have worked at a gym for over 8 years teaching group fitness classes and have never received a tip (or expected one) although some members have brought me gifts on different occasions and veggies from their gardens during the summer time. I don't think the staff expects tips although I am sure it is appreciated. You sound like a kind member :flowerforyou:
  • EngiAli
    EngiAli Posts: 83 Member
    When I worked out downtown I bought my trainer a gift and a Starbucks gift card for the cleaning lady. Glad to see i am not the only person who has ever tipped a cleaning lady at the gym - she was so meticulous and soo much better then the ones we had previous and the changeroom was always so nice and truly clean.

I just joined a new gym, I don't take any of their classes or use any of their trainers and the desk staff isn't particularily helpful so I won't be tipping anyone this year.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    If you really aren't getting personal service, than I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe moderate gifts cards (for something like Starbucks) for the instructors you really like would be a nice gesture though....
  • Shawn_Marie
    Shawn_Marie Posts: 307 Member
    I really never considered it; maybe that is because any gym I tried before anytime fitness. The owner at my "home" gym actually makes an effort to know her members so I might give her a gift but I rarely go to my home gym now that I found a location between work and home that I like much better because it is all newer and more selection of machines. What should I do? I sell organic bath soaps and lotions, should I make up a nice basket for the owner of my home gym?
  • melmccabe
    melmccabe Posts: 21 Member
    I was wondering the same thing lately. I have been working with a personal trainer 3 times a week for the past 6 months. I am about to hit the minus 100 pounds mark and I was thinking of getting him a thank you gift/Christmas gift. He really needs an iPod nano and I am considering getting him one as a thank you gift. Is there anything wrong with doing this? He has made a dramatic impact on my life and I am truly grateful. We will still be working together for some time to come.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    I was wondering the same thing lately. I have been working with a personal trainer 3 times a week for the past 6 months. I am about to hit the minus 100 pounds mark and I was thinking of getting him a thank you gift/Christmas gift. He really needs an iPod nano and I am considering getting him one as a thank you gift. Is there anything wrong with doing this? He has made a dramatic impact on my life and I am truly grateful. We will still be working together for some time to come.
    Personally, I think that's a really nice thing to do...he's helped you change your life, and I bet he'd really like to hear that (if you haven't already told him somehow). I'm sure that's a very rewarding thing to hear!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Anyone who goes above and beyond deserves something extra.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    I have worked at a gym for over 8 years teaching group fitness classes and have never received a tip (or expected one) although some members have brought me gifts on different occasions and veggies from their gardens during the summer time. I don't think the staff expects tips although I am sure it is appreciated. You sound like a kind member :flowerforyou:

Me either and I would feel kind of strange accepting tips. I am very close to my aqua participants and they often will bring in goodies that they want to share. I did have one aqua participant give me a gift card so that I could get a new swim suit (so nice of her!)

On the same note if you have instructors that you like it is always nice getting a compliment about your class : )
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Nope. :happy:
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    I don't tip gym personnel.
  • 3GKnight
    3GKnight Posts: 203
    Ha! I thought this was going to be more about 'suggestions' for gym personnel.