Does the Bodybugg calculate differently

from MFP, because when I add my calories that I earned and ate to bodybugg it has me maintaining?

Replies

• ChristinaLConway
    ChristinaLConway Posts: 115 Member
    I feel its more accurate, MFP is more of an estimation. Ive lost more weight and more inches since I started using my Bodybugg.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    May I ask what is Bodybugg?
  • A Bodybugg is a heartrate monitor that you wear on your arm that tracks your heart rate and calculates the calories you burn all day during all of your activities rather than estimating based on time like MFP does.

Your Bodybugg will be more accurate because it knows how intense you are working out based on your heart rate.
  • irisherin82
    irisherin82 Posts: 66 Member
    I've been interested in the bodybugg for a while, but never got further then trying to read about it. I'd love to see what people think of it who use it. I think if I had something to monitor the calories I burn all day long, I'd have better luck with losing weight, cause I'd know exactly what I'm burning each day rather than MFP estimating what my body type burns each day.

The BodyBugg is the device that the contestants on the biggest loser use, they wear it on their arm 24 hours away to monitor the calories they burn and they log their food in the bodybugg program online. One down fall is, you have to pay a monthly fee to use their online program.
  • msjac23
    msjac23 Posts: 140 Member
    Body Bugg calorie are different. It always says I burned less calories than what's on the machine. I also realize it counts more calorie when you are moving your arm. If your ride a stationary bike, it will count hardly any calories. However, I did it great when you do not have a machine or anything else to calculate your calories. For example if your doing a DVD. Also it is suppose to calculate your actually calorie burn based on your body.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Thank you very much for explaining it to me crummergrad :flowerforyou:
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    I'm confused by what you mean when you say you added your calories earned to BodyBugg. The BB calculates all of your actual calories burned every day based on the info from the band. You can't "earn" calories above that amount.

Also, if you're doing the initial set-up, don't tell it a number. Follow the steps for it to set you up based off of the information that you provide. I have a BodyMedia Fit and once I started ignoring MFP and following the BMF information I was golden after having long stalls and issues with MFP's info for too long.

MFP is very generic and is made to be an average for a lot of people. But the BB wants your exact data you provide so that I can then use that info, along with the weigh-in weights and food entered to be able to provide you with the most accurate feedback based on what your body is doing. If you over ride that with data from MFP you're starting at a handicap with the BB.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    A Bodybugg is a heartrate monitor that you wear on your arm that tracks your heart rate and calculates the calories you burn all day during all of your activities rather than estimating based on time like MFP does.

Your Bodybugg will be more accurate because it knows how intense you are working out based on your heart rate.

BodyBuggs and BodyMedia Fits actually have nothing to do with heart rate. They're worn on the upper arm and measure steps, sleep patterns, activity level and calories burned based on galvanic skin responses, body heat levels, movement (via an accelerometer), and skin temperature.
  • bump
  • timhr
    timhr Posts: 1
    does it work without paying for the web membership?
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    A Bodybugg is a heartrate monitor that you wear on your arm that tracks your heart rate and calculates the calories you burn all day during all of your activities rather than estimating based on time like MFP does.

BodyBuggs and BodyMedia Fits actually have nothing to do with heart rate. They're worn on the upper arm and measure steps, sleep patterns, activity level and calories burned based on galvanic skin responses, body heat levels, movement (via an accelerometer), and skin temperature.

Yes- exactly! it is NOT a heart rate monitor. It is also WAY more accurate for calorie burn :)
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    No- a bodybugg does not work with out membership. When you buy it online though from Apex.com it comes with a 6 month membership free :)
  • rentrikin
    rentrikin Posts: 104 Member
    I find my bodybugg calculates calories burned less than MFP estimates. Since wearing it faithfully I have begun to lose more. For instance if I do 65 minutes circuit training, MFP says I burned about 568 calories but my body bugg says about 400. Big difference.