Race Newbie

Options
So I've started training for a half marathon. I'm shooting for one in March but I'm not sure about exactly what race I'm doing yet. My trainer just told me we're going to go for something in March. I've looked at upcoming races in my area and am SO excited to do this! My problem is, I have absolutely no idea what to expect or how to go about including myself in any kind of race. I've never done anything like this before and I could really use some experienced racers input on how to get started. I'm pretty shy so I'm having trouble with the idea of just showing up by myself...

Replies

• jack_
    jack_ Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I bet they have a run club at your gym where you can hook up with some experienced runners!
  • paladeac
    paladeac Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Try to do a 5k or 10K before your race. It will help you know a little bit better what to expect.

Plan ahead. If at all possible, get your packet the day before.My half the other weekend was delayed 30 minutes because so many people showed up last minute for packet pick up. That really messed with my eating preparation.

Use your long training runs as practice sessions for what you'll need to eat -and when, figuring out what nutrition works for you. I always carry water on the race b/c water stops don't always coincide with my needs - and i have been in races where they ran out or a dog peed on all of the cups at that stop.

If the weather is cool, take a "throw away" sweatshirt to wear before you start. You'll have a lot of standing around beforehand. Sometimes those are waiting when you get back; sometimes they'r collected and donated to a charity. I usually go to the bargain room of an outlet store and get a five dollar sweatshirt. If you have someone there cheering you on, have them keep a shirt or jacket for you to put on after the race - it can get chilly. If you're going out of town, pack for every possibility weather wise. It can change overnight.

I recommend getting a race belt. your number snaps on. That way you don't have to worry about pinning your number on layers you may need to shed.

Get to the race early. Most races have good web sites with all of the info you need to know about parking, etc. I plan on being there at least an hour before start time, more if it's a huge race. I seem never to know where the actual starting line is, but all you have to do is ask. Unless you're an elite runner, don't line up at the front of the pack. find your place in the crowd based on what you think your approximate finish time will be. That way you're less likely to be in the way of faster runners - or get frustrated by people in your way.

The start can be a zoo. Just be patient and it sorts itself out.

After you start, all you have to do is run your race. By that time you'll know what your target pace is. A lot of people go out too fast because of the adrenaline of the start - and they're dying the last few miles. Again, I really recommend incorporating a 5 or 10K as a part of your training so you can get some race experience.

I've done four half marathons so far, several 10K and a handful of other runs, so just let me know if you have other questions.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Registering:
    There are usually 3 ways to register for a race - by mail, by active.com, in person on race day
    On race day will be most expensive for a number of reasons. But it's just that, show up the morning of the race and hand over some money. Some (very few) races don't allow this - some because they sell out, some because of logistics.
    On active.com is second most expensive. Register for active. Pay by CC, and pay active's fees.
    I prefer by mail. Usually there's a PDF to download, fill out, and mail with a check. Some do credit cards too, the whole write in your number bit.

What to expect on race day:
    If you've per-regestered, you'll find the tent where they check you in and give you a goodie bag/shirt/etc. Then you wait around for like an hour. Then run. Then leave, or wait for the results to be posted if your impatient for the official results. If I had a bad race, I just cool off then leave. I'll check the official results on-line later. If I think I podiumed, I wait around for the official results.

If you are registering on race day, show up earlier. Near the check in tent will be the race day registration. You'll pay money and then either get your goodies or go to a special check in line for late registration. Then you'll be at the second sentence above and follow the same thing.
  • wildhehr2
    wildhehr2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    When you get to the race, don't be worried about chatting people up. Asking them if they've done this race before is a good start. I'm normally very introverted, but long runs and races bring out my (obnoxious, in my opinion) chatty side. If they are running without earbuds in, then they are fair game. I've done 4 half marathons, 1 full, and 5 or so 20Ks, and I've always found someone to talk to for a few miles.
  • terikhamdamov
    Options
    Look up Hal Higdon's Beginner Half Marathon Training Program found at www.halhigdon.com. I did 3 halfs this year following this program and felt well prepared. It is a 12 week program so make sure you have time to train adequately.

I was extremely comfortable completely a 5k distance and could complete a 10k race before I jumped to a half marathon though. To avoid injury, you really need to ease into it and build a good mileage base. I ran for 5 years before increasing to a half marathon distance.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    First of all...
    Races are a blast. Have fun!!
    For the race be sure to take some jelly beans or gu. I didn't use it before the race, but the day of, about half way I needed some energy. Sugar doesn't really affect me, but it sure did that day when I had none in my system.

Don't plan anything for the rest of the day. You will be done.

I'm sure your trainer will do a great job of getting you ready and teaching you the right nutrition and different aspects like weight lifting, training plans and other things.

Definitely be sure to take a friend or someone along that isn't running. It's nice to have someone that you can see part way through the race and then on the way back. I met my sister in law the day before my race, and she offered to go with me for the race. It was the best decision she made for me. Even though I didn't know her well, it was good to have a supporter.

Good luck! Have fun!!
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone. My trainer and I haven't talked about the details yet, as we're "offiically" starting tomorrow. She mentioned that she does want me do some 5 - 10Ks in the process of my training as well. I guess I'm just a little bit nervous putting myself in such a new situation. Thanks again!
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    A few things that I didn't see mentioned.

1) Get everything ready and set out the night before the race. They generally start early and you don't want to forget shoes or something. You might even pin your number to your shirt or attach it to your racebelt so you don't forget it.

2) Try to get to the race at least an hour early. There is nothing worse than having to rush because parking took a while or you had to park further away.

3) If it is a windy day and you wear a race belt, crumple the number and re-straighten it and it won't whip at you so much.

4) Find out where the aid stations are and what they will have. I like to take water with me in a belt so I am not dependent on the aid stations if the race has a lot of people Also if you do gels, either train with the brand they are going to have or take your own along.