I need protein!

SarahJoy_79
SarahJoy_79 Posts: 107 Member
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
I'm trying to stick with eating a 40/30/30 diet but I am having an extremely hard time getting 30% protein every day. I'm not a huge fan of chicken every single day and I only eat organic foods and nothing processed.....so I have no idea short of eating eggs with every meal on how to get the amount of protein needed every day. Any suggestions?

Replies

• SarahJoy_79
    I'm trying to stick with eating a 40/30/30 diet but I am having an extremely hard time getting 30% protein every day. I'm not a huge fan of chicken every single day and I only eat organic foods and nothing processed.....so I have no idea short of eating eggs with every meal on how to get the amount of protein needed every day. Any suggestions?
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    i've been having the same problem...i'm going to listen in to this forum :wink:
  • exercisediva
    exercisediva Posts: 127
    Try protein shakes, cottage cheese w/ veggies, natural peanut butter and beans. You should have a protein at every meal.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Here are some non-meat sources of protein. Whole grains, veggies and nuts are all very good sources of protein.

Lentils 18g
    Black beans 15g
    Kidney beans 13g
    Chickpeas 12g
    Pinto beans 12g
    Black-eyed peas 11g
    Lima beans 10g
    Quinoa 9g
    Bagel 9g
    Peas 9g
    Peanut butter 8g
    Spaghetti 8g
    Almonds 8g
    Sunflower seeds 6g
    Whole wheat bread 5g
    Cashews 5g
    Almond butter 5g
    Brown rice 5g
    Spinach 5g
    Broccoli 4g
    Potato 4g

and don't forget milk ... soy milk, skim milk, almond milk, hemp milk ... 6-9g depending on brand
  • SDawgW
    SDawgW Posts: 160 Member
    Yes, cottage cheese is an excellent source of protein - if it wasn't for low fat cottage cheese, I'd probably be growing feathers by now from all the chicken ;)

I can't really stomach the texture of cottage cheese on its own, so I add a serving of sugar free yogurt to it and mix it with my little hand blender. It's the same texture as yogurt and with a nice creamy taste.

Hope that helps! :)
  • dskline1
    dskline1 Posts: 123
    Hello...I have recently modified my diet to add more protein as well - on days that I just don't get enough in I have a protein shake (I use Muscle Milk - Cake Batter - it is the tastiest that I have found yet)
    I also recently added the Greek yogurt, which has a boatload of protein in it.....other than that, I have a lean turkey sandwich on ww bread or a tossed salad with various types of chicken/meat in it at lunchtime to meet my quota. I did the egg thing early, but needed a break from them - just got bored...but, I see alot of recipes on other threads with using them in quesidillas (sp?) and omelets that sound delicious!!! I will add hardboiled eggs to my salads as well - just adds an extra boost!!

Good Luck!:flowerforyou:
  • shyla11
    shyla11 Posts: 26 Member
    Try tuna, salmon, bison, some organic foods have good protein! I have protein for every meal and I get anywhere from 80 to 100 of protein a day, keep my carbs low but not too low!
  • e11xoxo
    e11xoxo Posts: 86
    I like getting my protein from the Kashi bars. Yummy. :love:
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Snack on edamame! Mmmmmm...

Everyone else has made good suggestions, too. Cottage cheese is delicious with pineapple chunks.
  • aymie24
    aymie24 Posts: 227
    My kids don't like the texture of cottage cheese so I make it into "ranch" dip for their organic veggies. I use onion, dill, garlic, salt, pepper and a little lemon, blend it with just a bit of plain soy milk and you have a protein packed snack!
  • SarahJoy_79
    That sounds delicious! Thanks for the idea. I'm not a huge fan of the the texture of cottage cheese either so I'll have to try that.
  • CoachFoland
    CoachFoland Posts: 564 Member
    Yes, cottage cheese is an excellent source of protein - if it wasn't for low fat cottage cheese, I'd probably be growing feathers by now from all the chicken ;)

I can't really stomach the texture of cottage cheese on its own, so I add a serving of sugar free yogurt to it and mix it with my little hand blender. It's the same texture as yogurt and with a nice creamy taste.

Hope that helps! :)

Good info! I hate cottage cheese, but this might change my mind.
  • exercisediva
    Cottage cheese is best eaten as your last snack before bedtime. It has slow acting proteins (Casein) and feeds your body thru the night.

I forgot to add, there is something you can purchase from GNC called "any Whey" by Optimum Nutrtition. it is tasteless whey protein that you can add to anything to make it a high protein meal. I add it to any sauce, oatmeal, pudding, etc.

151375.png
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Muscle Milk!! Out of all the protein shakes & bars I've tried, this one seems to taste the best and it's around 30g of protein per serving.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Beans or nuts? And look online, there are a ton of options there.

Good luck.

:flowerforyou:
  • exercisediva
    Muscle Milk!! Out of all the protein shakes & bars I've tried, this one seems to taste the best and it's around 30g of protein per serving.

dont you think Muscle Milk has a lot of sugar and fat?
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Gold Standard Whey protein is also a good option. It is very low in carbs and still tastes good. No cooking, and you can adjust the amount of protein depending on how your day has been. Nuts are great, but tend to have fat and a lot of calories.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    You can beat cottage cheese into scrambled eggs too. It melts and makes eggs more fluffy. It's something I'll do to sneak more calories into my sons' days (they're underweight).

I had to resort to protein powders to accomodate the extreme restrictions for P90X (30/50/20). So I have quite a few protein powders in my shakes ... Hemp powder has the perfect blend of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids and is packed with fiber; it also has amino acids similar to those found in eggs and has a very neutral taste ... Whey, soy, and pea powders have more protein with fewer carbs and often no fat but they're better in terms of taste and are often made to be sweet. Rice protein is kind of in-between but is very tart so it needs to be mixed with something more tame.

Anyway, I hope someone finds that useful, hehe.

Oh yeah, don't blend pea powder directly with milk. Blend with water and then stir milk into it. I don't know why but a direct blend with milk gives the pea powder a very pungent taste.
  • mfinney
    mfinney Posts: 314
    organic peanut butter -- lots of protein, natural oils/fats

cottage cheese -- fat free, gives you tons of protein and has casein, which has been proven to be extraordinary for increase in metabolism and fat burning; the fat-free kind will give you the increase in protein without the addition of fat, if protein is really what you're focusing on
  • exercisediva
    You can beat cottage cheese into scrambled eggs too. It melts and makes eggs more fluffy. It's something I'll do to sneak more calories into my sons' days (they're underweight).

I had to resort to protein powders to accomodate the extreme restrictions for P90X (30/50/20). So I have quite a few protein powders in my shakes ... Hemp powder has the perfect blend of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids and is packed with fiber; it also has amino acids similar to those found in eggs and has a very neutral taste ... Whey, soy, and pea powders have more protein with fewer carbs and often no fat but they're better in terms of taste and are often made to be sweet. Rice protein is kind of in-between but is very tart so it needs to be mixed with something more tame.

Anyway, I hope someone finds that useful, hehe.

Oh yeah, don't blend pea powder directly with milk. Blend with water and then stir milk into it. I don't know why but a direct blend with milk gives the pea powder a very pungent taste.

How do you like P90X? I have the program but haven't started it yet. I am waiting for my workout room to be completed. Also have you ever tried Egg White Protein powder? I have some from Jay Robb, its very good and nothing artificial added.
This discussion has been closed.