On Day 10 of Level 1 -- 30 Day Shred

Options
I am on Day 10 of Level One and I know after that I should start Level 2 .. but I still can't go the entire video without taking a break .. I probably don't do about 2 minutes out of the 20 .. so not too bad .. is anyone in the same boat where you worked out a long time and still not able to get all the way through? I must add that I've never really exercised in a long long time .. I guess that has something to do with it.

In the part of the video where you do the jump rope .. I'm not able to do them (too much pounding motion on my ankles (have bad rheumatoid arthritis in my joints) so instead I lift up at the toes and that works my calf muscles .. I know its doing something cause I lost 2" off my calves in 10 days doing it that way!

I guess I just need a little pep talk ... thanks ... would love to hear how you all are doing.

Pam

Replies

• elizabethrose7
    elizabethrose7 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you for sticking it out! I tried it a couple of weeks ago and I was so sore the next day I actually couldn't do it. I probably could have toughed it out, but it would have taken some serious motivation. How long are you doing each level for?
  • dlynnkind
    dlynnkind Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Just do what you can and what is comfortable for your body. Don't go to Level 2 until you are ready. Or?? Go on to Level 2 and modify what you need to. Sometimes a change of pace is good. Keep up the good work. I lost 10 lbs and 18 inches on my first round of 30ds so I can attest it works, even with modifications here and there. The cardio used to kill me!! But eventually you will find it gets easier and your stamina builds up.

Good Luck!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I don't think there are any hard fast rules to it. I have read a lot of posts, people who did the 10/10/10 on each level and others that spent the majority on Level 1 or 3. I would say stay with it until you master it, or it bores you then move on. Personally I couldn't get through 30 days but that's mostly b/c Jillian bugs me. :laugh:
  • Kamin321
    Kamin321 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    @elizabethrose: My goal is to be able to do the Levels all the way through without stopping ... and then switch to the next one .. probably by Day 15 I will switch to level 2. It took till Day 5 to have the bad sore pains vanish .. my knees are killing me .. however each day they are getting better.
  • lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    DO WHAT you can...Im starting level 2 today or tommorrow...its my second round and the first time i had great results even though i couLdnt do much...it will still work as you are already seeing that...just keep at it
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you need more time on Level 1, go ahead and take more time on Level 1. If it's still kicking your butt, it's still doing it's job and giving you a good workout! LOL For real though, moving to level 2 was really hard for me even though I got very comfortable in my 10 days on Level 1. And the change to Level 3 will be even harder - there is a lot more jumping and harder ab exercises. I had to sub in a different move part of the time during the jumprope thing too - it bothers my knees - a lot of times I did the squat while punching instead (to keep my heartrate up since that's a cardio section). Level 2 has more jumpy movements, they try to get you do to a 'double jumprope' which is basically them telling you to jump higher than before and circle your arms twice while in the air. Yeah not workin' for my knees, so I do something else. There are a couple different cardio moves introduced in Level 2 so I just added in one of those when my knees wouldn't take the jumping. Some of us just have to modify some things or sub in different movements especially for joint problems. We're still going to get awesome results. :-)

Keep it up, it is hard but the results will be worth it. I think from your description of still having to stop a lot, you might benefit from sticking with Level 1 a little bit longer, maybe until you can get through it without breaks (still modifying certain movements though for your joints). B/c you need even more stamina for the craziness Jillian has in store for you in future levels. LOL
  • cmoutarimoussa
    cmoutarimoussa Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Level 2 will kick your *kitten*....i just did day 1 today!!! and i was dying! LOL!!! i should have kept with level 1 but oh well its all good!
  • vickyg1
    vickyg1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I don't think there are any hard fast rules to it. I have read a lot of posts, people who did the 10/10/10 on each level and others that spent the majority on Level 1 or 3. I would say stay with it until you master it, or it bores you then move on. Personally I couldn't get through 30 days but that's mostly b/c Jillian bugs me. :laugh:

I turn down the volume and crank the radio ;)
  • vickyg1
    Options
    Level 2 will kick your *kitten*....i just did day 1 today!!! and i was dying! LOL!!! i should have kept with level 1 but oh well its all good!

Me too!!! Ive did this before but never completed it...Im almost certain Jillian is trying to kill me :)
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options

I thought I read somewhere that there is a setting where you can keep the music but turn off her voice? I haven't checked into it myself......
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Do what you feel is right - there aren't any hard and fast guidelines that each level has to last 10 days or that the entire program can only last 30. I moved on to Level 2 after 7 days but then stayed on Level 2 for longer. If you feel up to it, give Level 2 a try and see how you do - you can certainly always go back. Just modify what you feel you can't do and cheer yourself on for what you can! You're further along than the people who are still just thinking about starting! :smile:

Edit to add: My knees bothered me when I started and I found that it was my form in the squats and lunges. If you can do them in front of a mirror and make sure you're in alignment and that you aren't pushing your knee past your toe, that might help. It did for me.
  • vickyg1
    Options

I thought I read somewhere that there is a setting where you can keep the music but turn off her voice? I haven't checked into it myself......
  • vickyg1
    Options

There is but that music is baaaaaaad :)
  • Kamin321
    Kamin321 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support .. your words really mean alot to me!! At least I know I'm not the only one that find Level 1 a bit hard even in the 10th day!!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options

Agreed! Her voices grates on me, as well as her stupid little anecdotes. It's a kick@ss routine, I just don't like HER.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options

Agreed! Her voices grates on me, as well as her stupid little anecdotes. It's a kick@ss routine, I just don't like HER.

Look, if 400 lb people can listen to her voice, so can you! If you wanna look like this, you've got to work like THAT. Either that or you can just take the stairs. LMAO

P.S. I just did all 3 levels, I don't know what I was thinking. That was a LOT of Jillian all at one time.
  • Surisaddai
    Surisaddai Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I still take a few breaks but now they are less and less. Well today is day 5 for me and I am planning on doing the 10/10/10 and possibly re-starting it once the 30 days are over to see if I can get through the whole thing without any breaks :D
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should listen to your body. I just started level 3 today after 8 days at level 2. I haven't been able to quite make it all the way through level 2 on the advanced moves but some of the plank exercises were bothering my knees (oddly, I can jump around without too many problems, but something about planks bother me). I get bored and when I get bored, I don't want to work out so I moved up. If you aren't bored with level 1, stay there a few more days until you're ready. Level 2 is tough - lots of shoulder work. I quite enjoyed Level 3 today though there is a ton of jumping around so you'll definitely need to be prepared to modify. Good luck and great job for making it to day 10 :smile: