breast feeding mothers....

Options
there is no way to add "breast feeding" or "making milk" as an exercise in MFP. "They" say that it burns more calories, BUT i really doubt it. when my calories are right on target I only lose what is expected--- not anything extra from BF. have you experienced the same thing?

Is there anyone else out there using MFP that is also exersicing and BFING?

Replies

• EngiAli
    EngiAli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You could "CREATE AN EXERCISE" for yourself, or you can just adjust your weight loss goals (to say 1lb per week as opposed to 1.5 or 2). BFing can be about 500 cals a day for full time BFing, but this decreases as baby starts on solid food or if you supplement. Some people say BF takes the weight right off you, however for a lot of women BFing seems to make your body resistant to weight loss. Decreasing your calories too much can effect your supply, so you need to be careful to not cut calories drastically.
  • lpalmrxo
    lpalmrxo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been BFING for 6 months..... and he has really just started solids. I never noticed any weigt loss due to BFing. so i think its BS. I have seen a major drop in supply as I lose weight though. but it could be from him starting solids. :( UGH
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Nursing moms here can enter it into the food diary. Just look up "breastfeeding" and it gives you several options. Make sure you choose one that also adds to your macros, because those are important.

You might not see weight loss while nursing because you're not eating enough. Your metabolism slows down if you're not eating enough calories to maintain your activity and breastfeeding and exercise and all that. The drop in supply indicates to me that eating too little might be the issue here. But breastfeeding does burn calories, and quite a lot of them. The average nursing mom with an infant burns up to 500 calories per day just from making milk. That number will drop as the baby eats more solid foods and nurses less, but you're still looking at a decent burn.
  • Manda_H
    Options
    I am breastfeeding my 20 month old but i dont know what he consumes (he has more of me than he has of solids) I haven't ever accounted for it on MFP i just figure all those little things i eat during the day that I forget to log in probably makes up for it. I lose weight slowly with breastfeeding but it does help