Need serious help please.

Options
I have been on a serious diet for about four weeks. 1500 calories or less tracked right here on myfitnesspal.com. I am six feet and weigh about 303. I was at 315, went down to 303 and have been hovering there ever since. I am working out, lifting weights (only upper body as I am in a wheelchair). I have cut out all diet sodas, sugars, most carbs but I cannot seem to lose any more.

Thing is, my clothes are lose and people say they can see a definite loss in my face, stomach and elsewhere. Why then is the scale not budging?

I have been religiously dedicated to this diet. I east two poached eggs, protein bread, tuna fish, chicken breast and vegetables ONLY. I can't believe I am not dropping more.

Can anyone PLEASE help???

Replies

• BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Throw out your scale, and just continue on like you are doing.
    Seriously, put it away for a month, then get back to it after you have continued your program, eating the MFP recommended daily calories.

Eat well, count your calories and log in all your exercises.
    Let's see what difference a month makes.
  • jannean2
    Options
    It sounds like you have converted fat to muscle and muscle weighs more.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Is MFP telling you to only eat 1500 calories, or is that a number you came up with?

Any reason you are limiting your food options?
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    if you are 300lbs and only eating 1500 cals....you probably need to amp up the calories more.

1500 seems pretty low. especially if you are working out.

I know some pretty small females on here that eat more than that.

can you try upping your cals to say 1900 or 2000?
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    if you are 300lbs and only eating 1500 cals....you probably need to amp up the calories more.

1500 seems pretty low. especially if you are working out.

I know some pretty small females on here that eat more than that.

can you try upping your cals to say 1900 or 2000?
    Try eating the number of calories that the site is telling you to eat.
  • sororitythin
    Options
    I agree with both of the comments before mine - don't base your successes on the scale! Instead try focusing on your measurements and how you look/feel. Do you have more energy? Do you feel more confident? Get rid of the scale, step on it in a month or so just to get an idea. But the plateau is definitely from gaining muscle. Keep doing what you're doing and DON'T QUIT! :)
  • ginareejoy
    ginareejoy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You're building muscle, so you won't see as much of a loss
  • Pochart
    Options
    I would definitely not worry about the scale, I understand there are very few things better than to see the number on that scale decreasing... but what's most important are your measurements, they should be decreasing and must be since people are telling you what they see... my bet is you are building muscle and that is always heavier than fat.... my 2 cents...
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Nope.
  • IDontLikeRegistering
    Options
    Sounds to me like you've been putting on muscle. You say you've been doing strength training; you say your clothes fit differently; you say you look different. If you'd been tracking your waist and neck measurements you'd probably have seen the changes there.

Congratulations on your early weight loss! And congratulations on the body transformations you are continuing to achieve!

Remember two things:
    Muscle weighs more than fat. So if you lose a pound of fat and gain some muscle, you'll likely still weigh the same.
    That muscle will be increasing your metabolism, so in future weeks you'll find that fat easier to lose long term.

Keep at it, and the results will have to start coming! You cannae change the laws of physics.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    It sounds like you have converted fat to muscle and muscle weighs more.
    Fat does not convert to muscle. Fat can be burned and muscle frown, but you cannot turn one into another.
    Doubtful. I'm guessing that you aren't eating enough.
  • gardenimp
    gardenimp Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not only about the scale. You're weight is going to fluctuate. Take your measurements, track your body fat %. Believe me, I've been on this journey for a while now and if I'd given up everytime the scale was stuck for a few weeks or a month I wouldn't be down almost 60 pounds!!!

Believe in yourself and look for things besides the scale to motivate you :)
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    my bet is you are building muscle and that is always heavier than fat.... my 2 cents...
    Muscle weighs more than fat. So if you lose a pound of fat and gain some muscle, you'll likely still weigh the same.
    They may have different volume, but one does not weigh more than the other. A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. Let's not go down this road... :yawn:
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    You can't build muscle in a calorie deficit. I agree with the others who say you are probably not eating enough. Eat to the goal that MFP gives you.

Please don't restrict your diet to just a few things. You'll go crazy. I have lost weight without cutting anything out of my diet specifically. It's all about portion control and staying within your calorie goal.
  • SundayRiver2u
    SundayRiver2u Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM and I'm just not worrying about it anymore. I stopped weighing myself and instead I just keep trying on the same pair of jeans. Every week they fit better and better. I couldn't button them 8 weeks ago and now I can fit 2 fingers in the waistband. The scale says I've lost 4 pounds. My clothes say I've lost about 10. I believe my clothes!

Find a shirt or a blazer (something fitted with buttons) and try it on. Make a note of how it fits (or doesn't!) and then just keep trying on that same item of clothing. As others have said, muscle weighs more but clothes don't lie. Keep it up!!! Great job!
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I am 5 8 and weight 174 and I get almost 1400 a day and it is set at sedentary. i think you may need to eat more!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Many of the responses here:

4948_b3e6-1.gif

Doubtful that you will be gaining muscle with a crazy deficit like that
    And fat does not convert into muscle :P

You need to eat more
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I am 5 8 and weight 174 and I get almost 1400 a day and it is set at sedentary. i think you may need to eat more!
    and i have lost 6 lbs this month, started a month ago also, but i can fit back into my skinny jeans, they button, still need to lose some more to be comfortable but clothing is a way better judge of how you are doing
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    If you are eating the same thing every day, that could do it too. Try changing up what you eat. But ya, muscle does weigh more than fat.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    If you are eating the same thing every day, that could do it too. Try changing up what you eat. But ya, muscle does weigh more than fat.

Probability of gaining muscle on this kind of deficit is very low.