chocolate peanut butter balls...?

Ali_TSO
Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
My husband wants me to make chocolate covered peanut butter balls for Christmas....which I've never done before....is there ANY way to make these lower cal? and how do you make them?

Replies

• H2Ologist
    H2Ologist Posts: 122 Member
    No way I know of to make them healthy

2 cups peanut butter
    2 cups graham cracker crumbs
    2 cups powdered sugar
    1/2 cup butter melted

Mix together, roll into balls and dip into 1 pound melted chocolate (almond bark)
  • jasonnjamer
    jasonnjamer Posts: 65 Member
    you can use better n peanut butter which tastes no different than regular peanut butter and is sold at any spartan grocery store. it has 85 percent less fat and 45 less calories than regular. and you can us country crock light margarine. hope this helps. i just made them for a family xmas party and no one new the difference.
  • jasonnjamer
    and dark choc. is better for you than regular choc.
  • kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    I mix up some PB2 with water and roll in dark cocoa powder when I am craving some!
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    you can use better n peanut butter which tastes no different than regular peanut butter and is sold at any spartan grocery store. it has 85 percent less fat and 45 less calories than regular. and you can us country crock light margarine. hope this helps. i just made them for a family xmas party and no one new the difference.

And what's YOUR recipe? Trying to get a couple different ones!
  • jbeauchamp1
    jbeauchamp1 Posts: 195 Member
    Reduced fat peanut butter would help as well but they are fattening little boogers! lol Go to any website food.com, allrecipes.com and type in buckeyes and you can get the top rated ones there.
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Not sure how many you were intending on making but here is a recipe from sparks people. I can't say they are good or not because I've never tried them.

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=468702
  • H2Ologist
    H2Ologist Posts: 122 Member
    If you can think of ingredient substitutes, go for it. My recipie was one of those passed on from my GMa. I am not a huge fan of peanut butter so they don't pose a problem for me. My hubby on the other hand I need to hide the batch I make for Christmas or he will eat the WHOLE container!!!!!

You could probably use whole wheat graham crackers, low fat peanut butter, and magarine. But let's be perfectly honest, if you are eating peanut butter balls, you are not worrying about your diet at the moment. It is the same as almond cookies for me. I know full well that I shouldn't be eating them, but I really don't care for that moment of food heaven.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    2 cups creamy peanut butter
    1/2 cup butter
    4 cups icing sugar
    3 cups rice krispies

Melt the peanut butter and butter, add the icing sugar and rice krispies. Roll into 1 inch balls, refrigerate for an hour.

12 squares semi sweet chocolate
    2 tbsp shortening

Melt the chocolate and shortening, dip the chocolate balls into the chocolate.

ETA: Making 40 balls, these have 163 calories each.
  • jasonnjamer
    1 1/2 cup better n peanut butter
    1 tsp vanilla
    6 oz package of dark choc. chips
    1/2 cup light margarine
    16 oz package of confectioned sugar
    2 tbs shortnening

in medium bowl mix pb, butter, vanilla, and sugar. with your hands mix to form smooth dough. Mixture will be stiff just add a bit of fat free milk if its to dry. shape dough into ball using 2 tsp. of dough for each. melt choc with shortening over stove. put toothpicks in balls and dip into melted choc so that 3/4 of ball is covered. place on wax papper to cool. and thats my recipe for "buckeye balls"
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Skinny No-Bake Cookies
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 20 • Size: 2 cookies, 1 tbsp each • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 3 pts
    Calories: 105.9 • Fat: 2.3 g • Carbs: 18.8 • Fiber: 2.3 • Protein: 3.1 g • Sugar: 7.9
    Sodium: 12.2 mg

Ingredients:

2/3 cup sugar
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
    2 tbsp Smart Balance Light butter
    1/2 cup fat free milk
    2 1/2 cups quick oats (for gluten free, use gluten free oats)
    3/4 cup Better'n Peanut Butter
    1 tsp vanilla
    powdered sugar, cocoa powder (optional)

Directions:

Combine the first 4 ingredients (sugar through milk) and boil in a small sauce pan for 2 minutes.

Remove from heat and mix in oatmeal, Better n' Peanut Butter and vanilla.

Drop by tablespoons onto a wax paper or roll into balls with slightly moist hands and refrigerate overnight.

The next day you can roll them in powdered sugar or cocoa powder if desired. Keep refrigerated if storing for several days.

Makes 40 cookies.
  • DHalaby73
    No-Bake Fudgy Snow Balls
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 21 • Serving Size: 1 cookie • Old Points: 1 pt • Points+: 2 pts
    Calories: 69.5 • Fat: 3.8 g • Carb: 9.2 g • Fiber: 2.2 g • Protein: 2.1 g

15 pitted dates
    2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 cup whole roasted unsalted almonds
    1 tbsp honey
    2 tbsp water (or more if needed)
    3 tbsp confectioner's sugar

Add almonds to your food processor and pulse until ground. Add dates, cocoa powder, honey, and water. Mix until it forms a sticky mass. If it seems too dry, add a little water, 1 tsp at a time. Wash hands and using damp hands (keep sink running) measure 1 tbsp and roll into a ball with the dough. Set balls on parchment paper.

Put confectioner's sugar in a bowl. Roll balls in your hand and then roll in sugar.
    Can be stored in the fridge for up to a week.
  • DHalaby73
    sorry double post