Starvation mode myth or fact???

Options
I've decided to do my on research on what starvation mode really is and how it effects the body because I wasn't so convinced that a person with an extremely high body fat % will put on more fat because of very low caloric intake...

what I found was VERY interesting.

Keep in mind that I found my information on google SCHOLAR, where the information was published in academic and scientific journals (I list my sources at the bottom)

Here's what I found:

You don't convert everything you eat as fat until you reach very low body fat percentages and your metabolism isn't lowered until this point as well. Obese people who lower their caloric intake lower than 1200 calories/day WILL lose fat unlike those with healthy body fat percentages. Once you drop below 5% body fat for men and 10% for women you start losing lean muscle instead of fat.

Basically, restricting caloric intake does not have the same result on obese people as it does healthy people. So, if you're 50 lbs overweight and want to shed a few not such a big deal....BUT if you're just trying to lose those last 10 lbs for bikini season that's another story

Now let me be clear: IN NO WAY AM I CONDONING EXTREME CALORIC RESTRICTION! I just feel like there was way too much false information out there and most people have a misconception of when starvation mode actually kicks in.

Sources:
Journal of applied physiology: http://jap.physiology.org/content/88/5/1820.short
Here is a pod cast that can also put the information into lemans term for you: https://s3.amazonaws.com/fitbb/How+to+Get+Into+Starvation+Mode.mp3

This experiment has been replicated with similar findings ^^^

Replies

• Coleyrole
    Options
    thank you :) i was very curious :)
  • jcwh20ski
    jcwh20ski Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great info, THANKS!
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    The article you linked to is about a study that was testing endocrine markers under VERY specific circumstances. They were undergoing Army Ranger training. They were exposed to many stresses including "sustained workload, inadequate sleep [an average of 3.6 hours per day, the article goes on to say], and thermal strain."

These are NOT normal circumstances that you or I or anyone on this website would be in while trying various diets. Any results that the article concluded should not necessarily be considered for people who do not fit the description of those who participated in the study. These men were in "starvation mode" (a net of 1000 calories, lower than the 1200 standard) not because they were eating 1.5k calories and exercising 500 and not eating back the exercise calories, as is often the case when people post on these forums. They were burning around 10,000 calories in a day. It's a bit different.

On top of this, the article actually says that in the study there were"overall reductions in
    metabolic rate," (aka metabolism goes down) which is exactly why people say you should avoid starvation mode when trying to lose weight.

I was not able to listen to the podcast, but my guess is they may have taken some liberties with their analysis of that article.

So yes, the article does say you can lose weight if you net less than 1,000 calories per day. The article also says you do this by being awake for 20 hours, exposing yourself to extreme temperatures, and doing extremely intense physical activities for hours on end. Taking this information and therefore assuming that a person who is NOT going through ranger training will have similar results netting 1,000 calories per day might not be correct.

That said, weight loss certainly is different for everybody! I'm sure many people net 1k calories per day and have great success. But I just wanted to point out that that article actually does more to suggest that starvation mode is real than it does suggesting it's a myth.
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    regardless of whether this is true for the obese...i don't think caloric restriction (<1200) is beneficial over time. i can't cite research specifically but i think many of us can attest to the strong urges to eat more than normal as a result of restriction. as in the neverending cycle of eat too little for a few days, eat too much, make up for it by eating too little again, then eating too much and so on...

slow and steady!
  • defygravity531
    defygravity531 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    thanks! My cals are at 1200 and some days I eat 1225 or more, but some days I eat like 1175. It's good to know that every once in a while it's fine to do that!
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    What is metabolism?

Besides the energy we need for normal body functions, it's the metabolism of the calories we eat into energy.

Eat less, then you metabolize less.

I've personally experienced "Starvation Mode" I know it's real, and I've counseled many obese clients that came to me with daily calorie deficits of over 1,000 and were not losing weight. It's real just misunderstood.
  • ColeyBear08
    ColeyBear08 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    But I just wanted to point out that that article actually does more to suggest that starvation mode is real than it does suggesting it's a myth.

I never said it was a myth, in fact I do believe it to be very real. I just don't think that an obese person is going to experience starvation mode as quickly as people on the healthier end of the spectrum.
  • ColeyBear08
    ColeyBear08 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I've personally experienced "Starvation Mode" I know it's real.

Statistics 101: Never go off of personal experience! You need a bigger sample than yourself and the few out of a huge population you have counseled.
  • ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    regardless of whether this is true for the obese...i don't think caloric restriction (<1200) is beneficial over time. i can't cite research specifically but i think many of us can attest to the strong urges to eat more than normal as a result of restriction. as in the neverending cycle of eat too little for a few days, eat too much, make up for it by eating too little again, then eating too much and so on...

slow and steady!
    I have read a number of research articles on this issue over the years and research shows that losing fat through significant calorie restriction can be successful, however the hormones that regulate the hunger/satiety pathways have a huge impact on the ability to maintain the weight loss. While one CAN successfully lose fat on extremely low calorie diets, as mentioned in the post above, it is very difficult to refrain from eating back the weight loss, as the brain is bombarded by message to EAT.

Our bodies desire homeostasis or: remaining-the-same. As you cut calories, your body wants to maintain its current state and will slow your metabolism as it simultaneously screams for food. So, while one CAN lose fat by severely cutting calories, it will be much more difficult to avoid gaining it all back than it will be for someone who just cuts 100-200 calories/day from their diet, as you will have less energy and have to ignore the brain's insistent messages to eat.
  • tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317
    Options
    From my own readings I believe it absolutely exists, however, skipping a meal or two doesn't trigger it. It seems to take fasting for a few days for their to be a metabolic impact. Actually, there is a slight increase at first. Makes a lot of sense from an evolutionary perspective, why make the organism lethargic when it needs to be out catching some food. Also, those experimenting with Intermittent Fasting regularly demonstrate that even 24 hour fasts don't have an impact. I found it a relief, I no longer worry about missing a meal etc.

Long term calorie restriction does have an impact though, which is part of the argument for refeeds.

Check out Lyle McDonald's blog for some great in depth analysis of research in this area.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Our bodies are made for energy (fat) storage. Our ancestors did not always have access to food and could sustain themselves on bodyfat. That being said I am in the stage of trying to lose the last 10 pounds and have really hit a wall. I'm afraid to drop calories below my resting metabolic rate for fear of exhaustion and stalling my metabolism. I love what I do and need the energy to do it!

I think this is a topic that is still not conclusive either way.
  • cheetahcub2010
    cheetahcub2010 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks for finding peer reviewed material to share.
  • briggsl23
    Options
    This is all still very confusing to me, as I have heard many different stories, one being it takes 3-4 weeks for starvation mode to kick in..Im considered to be obese for my height and weight, im 5'3 currently 185, MPF has me at 1200 calories, and I workout 60 mins, 6 days a week..I started Oct 13th, and my first month I lost 18 pounds, and I dont even think I ever hit the full 1200 calories..I am not a person who has ate alot in the past, but when I did, it was in larger portions and not healthy, so trying to eat 1200 cals a day is difficult, and I burn 500-700 cals, and eating those cals back is a challenge..and my weight loss has slowed completely down, to a 1lb a week, and sometimes no changes...so im still really confused on the whole starvation mode thing, and my biggest concern, is if I need to be eating more than 1200 cals a day, even tho MPF has me at 1200, and do you guys think I will go into starvation mode???
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Here are the nutritional states:

Fed: Immediately following ingestion-3 hours after eating. Insulin levels are generally high, promoting fat synthesis and glycogen storage.
    Post-absorptive: 3-18 hours after eating. Blood glucose drops, leading to fat breakdown and glucose being released from liver.
    Fasting: 18hr -2 days after eating. Protein degradation is high; ketones formed from fat and amino acids.
    Early-mid Starvation: Weeks without food. Protein degradation slows to maintain muscle mass. Fat breakdown and ketones are predominant energy sources.
    Late Starvation: Months without food. Protein degradation picks back up due to high cortisol levels and low body fat. Leads to death.

Eating too little is not going to result in a great deal of muscle loss. Your thyroid hormones might decrease, though, resulting in a slower metabolism. Your body will adjust to maintain at whatever calorie level you're consuming.
  • 4HealthyMe
    4HealthyMe Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think "Starvation Mode" is real, but I also think that people talk way too much about it on MFP. Most of us will not experience this. Notice: I said "most". No doubt there are some here who have experienced it, but I think it is a topic overly discussed here.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I eat over 3000 calories daily, and on "free day" consume over 5000.

It's no myth.
    I have lost over 64 lbs, dropped 10 inches in waist and 14% body fat.

And others my age with similar goals are starving their dumb *kitten* on diets around 1500, including exercise calories.

ABSURD!
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    I eat over 3000 calories daily, and on "free day" consume over 5000.

Bobby, are you including your exercise calories in that 3,000 or does exercise bump them up even more?
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Here are the nutritional states:

Fed: Immediately following ingestion-3 hours after eating. Insulin levels are generally high, promoting fat synthesis and glycogen storage.
    Post-absorptive: 3-18 hours after eating. Blood glucose drops, leading to fat breakdown and glucose being released from liver.
    Fasting: 18hr -2 days after eating. Protein degradation is high; ketones formed from fat and amino acids.
    Early-mid Starvation: Weeks without food. Protein degradation slows to maintain muscle mass. Fat breakdown and ketones are predominant energy sources.
    Late Starvation: Months without food. Protein degradation picks back up due to high cortisol levels and low body fat. Leads to death.

Eating too little is not going to result in a great deal of muscle loss. Your thyroid hormones might decrease, though, resulting in a slower metabolism. Your body will adjust to maintain at whatever calorie level you're consuming.

I feel like I just got schooled. OH WAIT! I did. :drinker:
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    The issue is, Starvation Mode has multiple meanings.

True starvation mode is when our body is eating lean mass and tissue for survival, it's the brains last ditch effort.to survive before we die.

In the diet sense it simply means our metabolism has slowed down to preserve our stored energy and our cravings increase in attempt to get us to eat more. This is a fact about dieting, and it's hormone driven.
  • RaiLynn27
    Options
    I think "Starvation Mode" is real, but I also think that people talk way too much about it on MFP. Most of us will not experience this. Notice: I said "most". No doubt there are some here who have experienced it, but I think it is a topic overly discussed here.
    Statistics 101: Never go off of personal experience! You need a bigger sample than yourself and the few out of a huge population you have counseled.

4HealthyMe--I agree. It's constant and ridiculous and promotes doubt, often unnecessarily. At the same time, thank you, ColeyBear08, for the info. The people in my group have been going back and forth on this. People talk about their own experience, but we are all so different in body types, age, environment, etc., that we can't just take 1 person or 20 people's experiences and let that be proof enough that it works the same way for everyone. Plus, what about all the people who have gastric bypass and severely reduce their caloric intake and lose large amounts of weight consistently?? If starvation mode affected the morbidly obese, how would gastric bypass have a significant effect at all? Wouldn't they go into starvation mode within weeks or months, bodies adapt to that calorie amount, metabolism nosedive, and stop at a minimal amount of weight loss? I don't want to get into a debate with anyone. I'm just saying every body's different, and it's nice to see someone NOT promoting the starvation mode fear frenzy.