cymbalta

Options
My doctor prescribed my cymbalta for pain, will it make me gain weight? has anyone taken this and had any problems?

Replies

• brennashaffer
    Options
    I've lost weight while on anti-depressants before. I think since you're actively working on losing weight, it helps keep you from weight gain. Also, I know medications are different for everyone, but a red flad goes up everytime I hear Cymbalta. When I took it, it seriously made me out of my mind! So, really reflect and monitor yourself on it :smile:
  • merie08
    merie08 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight while on anti-depressants before. I think since you're actively working on losing weight, it helps keep you from weight gain. Also, I know medications are different for everyone, but a red flad goes up everytime I hear Cymbalta. When I took it, it seriously made me out of my mind! So, really reflect and monitor yourself on it :smile:

ya, i did alot of research on it and it sounded pretty equal when it came to bad and good things..i guess it doesnt hurt to try.i hope lol
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Ive been on Cymbalta for about a month now for Peripheral Neuropathy, it says it may decrease appetite and I think it does. From what Ive read it makes you lose weight not gain.I havent gained from it.
  • merie08
    merie08 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    yea, thats what mine is for too and some other chronic pain.
  • kendrafagan
    Options
    I took cymbalta for a dual diagnosis of fibromyalgia and depression for about a year. And yes, it does cause weight gain!! I think it's because it increases the appetite quite a bit, but I'm not 100% certain as to the reasons. I did gain about 20 pounds over the past year and I think it's partially from this medication. It's good you are aware of this side effects. I stopped taking cymbalta just about 3 months ago and then I was finally able to lose a little weight. I discovered that a better regimen of exercise and a healthier diet has also prevented me from needing all the meds I used to take. I truly have never felt better as I do now. I am not recommending that you stop taking it if you really need it, but it's interesting to discover how a healthier lifestyle means less visits to your doctor and less prescription meds, which are really just a bandaid anyway and all meds are very hard on the body. If your pain is like mine - Fibromyalgia, then this really can be treated naturally. Having a reduction in stress is the key and be sure to get enough sleep. Whenever I lack sleep or have stress on top of whether changes, then I end up hurting again. But if you really work at doing all the healthy things like getting good sleep, eat really well, and exercise a lot, your symptoms may improve as mine have all on their own. I hope my post is helpful for you.
  • redbird99
    redbird99 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I take Savella for fibromyalgia. I haven't noticed any changes in weight that can be blamed on the Savella. I have used it since August 2010.
  • murraycharlie
    Options
    i think cymbalta is a great drug for many chronic pain conditions. it helped me a lot going through a transitional time and coping with anxiety.

HOWEVER, i have always been 125-135 pounds (i am 5'3) and within 2 years , I gained 30 pounds on cymbalta - no change in diet ---and i worked out like crazy to lose the weight, but no luck.

i've been off of cymbalta for 3 months now and lost half of the weight (16 pounds). i think that cymbalta interferes with your sense of satiety. just be mindful of portions, and you'll probably be ok and not gain the weight. good luck!
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Just a warning - Cymbalta withdrawals are very real and very scary. I had a tough time coming off it.
  • murraycharlie
    Options
    me too. horrible....