Calories for 16 hour day?

Options
Okay so this is something that's really been bugging me. Do I need to adjust my caloric intake if I am working a really early shift? Today, for example, I was awake at 4 am, work by 5 am and I probably won't be tired until around 10pm, which is what I've figured out after several years of working this shift twice a week. If I do adjust, by how much?

Replies

• beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Nope, just make sure you eat smaller meals, every 2 to 3 hours. Just eat the same amount as what MFP says
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Lack of sleep may actually decrease your metabolic rate, especially if this is a regular thing.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Okay so this is something that's really been bugging me. Do I need to adjust my caloric intake if I am working a really early shift? Today, for example, I was awake at 4 am, work by 5 am and I probably won't be tired until around 10pm, which is what I've figured out after several years of working this shift twice a week. If I do adjust, by how much?

You could try to account for the added activity. How much?
    Well, I'd start by raising the activity bar one notch, then check your weight to see if you're on track or gaining.

Time will tell.
    And on another note...
    If I were you, I'd be sneaking in my workout OTJ -- lol I used to get a light full body workout in every day.
    LOVED IT!
  • backstreet1008
    Options
    I know when I'm up and about for longer periods, especially if I wake up early, I'm hungrier. And if you're hungry just eat, you'll need the energy. On days like that you need to focus more on sustaining yourself than losing weight.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I know when I'm up and about for longer periods, especially if I wake up early, I'm hungrier. And if you're hungry just eat, you'll need the energy. On days like that you need to focus more on sustaining yourself than losing weight.

I agree! you should never go through the day starving, just make good choices for snacks to help keep you full. take fruit cups, nuts and yogurt for snacks at work and snack on those for more low calorie fillers.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    A little confused. Asking if you should eat more if you get up earlier?
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Would it balance out if you sleep later the next day?
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    A little confused. Asking if you should eat more if you get up earlier?

His defacto day is longer hence his activity level is more, resulting in hunger.
    I don't have a good answer, and if it were me, I'd just experiment.
  • elizabethrose7
    elizabethrose7 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do get enough sleep -- I only work this shift a couple of nights a week and make sure I get 7 to 8 hours beforehand, and pretty much every other night for that matter. I'm not fatigued at all throughout the day. Just hungry. lol

**Edit -- I also have a job that keeps me on my feet all day, sometimes its pretty fast-moving. There are lots of times in the day I work up a sweat. So, its not like I sit in a cubicle.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    When you have the long shifts like that, try to prepare ahead of time. I was told by my doctor to cut out wheat and dairy from my diet for a minimum of 6 weeks to help me lose some weight (I think in just the last 5 days its working!) and I actually have to wonder how I'm supposed to eat another 800-1000 calories so I'm not under! Seriously, I can eat almost an entire can of green beans (yea im not a cook so I eat canned so I don't have to. lol) and it's not even 100 calories! Just try to find stuff like that, fresh fruit, a banana, yogurt, nuts and throw them in as snacks to help keep you full. And if you go over your calories on a really busy day don't beat yourself up, as long as you are active throughout the day it helps. Losing weight isn't going to work if you are starving, so don't let yourself get to that point :)
  • anitam1987
    anitam1987 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Since being up, awake and active burns more calories than sleep... I think you should maybe add 200 kcal to your allowance. Just my thoughts :)
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I found this description of what 'activity' level to set far more helpful, that the random suggestions MFP gives us.

The activity factor lightly active corresponds to walking 2 hours per day, moderately active corresponds to walking 3 hours per day, very active corresponds to walking 4 hours per day, and extra active corresponds to walking 5 hours per day (20 miles). Sedentary would include those sitting at a desk all day with no other activity or those confined to a wheelchair or mobility scooters who are not able to exercise.

It came from here
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/health/cron1.html

So average out the time of day you're active over a week and set it at that.