Waist measurement

As far as waist measurement, where should I be measuring myself? Above my belly button, right at, or below?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member
    Right at the belly button.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    For women it's the smallest point around your midsection.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,380 Member
    I always wonder, too. If I'm doing it for a body fat calculator I follow the instructions given - sometimes it asks for the measurement at the navel and sometimes it asks for your natural waist or the smallest point. There is a BIG difference between my natural waist measurement and my belly button measurement (slowly shrinking, but still very noticeable).
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Above your belly button.
  • I am going to go with what the personal trainer says. My husband says that when the military measured him, it was right at the belly button. :)
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    I am going to go with what the personal trainer says. My husband says that when the military measured him, it was right at the belly button. :)

I measure above the belly button. Search the internet for measurements done on a woman and see where they say to measure.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    The last time I took my measurements, my natural waist was 29 inches and my measurement at my belly button was 34 inches. I really don't feel like I can claim I have a 29 inch waist. Not with that belly still hanging there. It just seems like I'd be cheating if I ignored the belly. LOL But then again I don't enter my measurements on the tracker here, I write them all down on paper and then enter them into various bodyfat calculators just to get a ballpark estimate, so I use whichever measurement each specific calculator asks for. One asks for the waist measurement at the navel and another asks for the measurement at the narrowest point of the abdomen. So I do whatever is asked of me at the time.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    I am going to go with what the personal trainer says. My husband says that when the military measured him, it was right at the belly button. :)

Yes because he's a man. For women it's their natural waist (the smallest point).
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    I measure right at my belly button, but also make sure to include my love handles in there.
    EDIT- I do it for my own personal reference, and since that is my problem area, that's the measurement that I care about. Just chose where you care about seeing progress and be consistant about measuring in the same place.
  • I separate waist from abdomen. My waist is the smallest part of my torso. My abdomen is just that, my belly, which I usually measure where it sticks out the most, at my belly button.
  • ninerbuff
    Just for clarification:

Measuring your waistline is a simple check
    For an accurate measurement:

Measure directly against your skin
    Breathe out normally.
    Make sure the tape is snug, without compressing the skin.
    The correct place to measure your waist is horizontally halfway between your lowest rib and the top of your hipbone. This is roughly in line with your belly button.

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/abhi/publishing.nsf/Content/factsheet-waist-measurement

To measure your waist circumference, use a tape measure. Start at the top of the hip bone, then bring it all the way around -- level with your navel. Make sure it's not too tight and that it is parallel with the floor. Don't hold your breath while measuring it!

http://www.webmd.com/diet/calculating-your-waist-circumference__

IDEA Fitness member
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Thank you! I just KNEW I couldn't claim a 29" waist! LOL
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member

Yes because he's a man. For women it's their natural waist (the smallest point).

Couldn't agree more. For a woman, your waist is your narrowest point. This is no more cheating than your hip measurement being the widest point.
  • angeleyez77
    angeleyez77 Posts: 45 Member
    I say at the belly button and I heard for what your wasit size is it should be half your helght in inches. So I am 5'0 59 inches and half of that is 30 inches so I have 38 inch waist so I should loose 8 inches.
  • ninerbuff

Couldn't agree more. For a woman, your waist is your narrowest point. This is no more cheating than your hip measurement being the widest point.
    IMO, this is why so many females end up buying the wrong pant size.

IDEA Fitness member
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    For me it's where your pants/trousers sit. They don't sit around my belly button, therefore buying clothes with a waist measurement of your belly button would lead to them being too big.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    For me it's where your pants/trousers sit. They don't sit around my belly button, therefore buying clothes with a waist measurement of your belly button would lead to them being too big.

Where your pants/trousers sit can vary widely depending on the rise of that particular piece of clothing, though. From below your hips to up over the belly button, depending on the style.
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 675 Member
    I measure right at the belly button.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member

IMO, this is why so many females end up buying the wrong pant size.

IDEA Fitness member

That's a big assumption (i.e. most women wear poorly fitting trousers), based on a shaky foundation (i.e.if women do wear poorly fitting trousers, incorrect waist sizing is the only reason for this)
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member

Well, if that were the case, with most jeans today I'd be measuring my hip bones.