Is it okay to not use scales?

Options
I don't really like going by 'weight' because previously i have been 80-85kg and this clothing size (14-16) and had big rolls on my back.
but now i am 95kg and the same size and no rolls.

I have a large frame and tend to have athletic body when I have less body fat.

So I am wondering if it is 'constructive' to just go by my measurements? Can I just measure myself once a week? I like tracking the measurements in an excel chart haha

Replies

• adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Of course thats okay. Weight isn't the only way to measure progress.
  • soldiersgirl011
    Options
    Absolutely... It's actually better, in my opinion!! Especially if you gain muscle very quickly, you're going to gain weight... I would go by inches, get a little tape measure and measure your progress ocassionally =)
  • Alyssa323
    Options
    Hey, thanks for the add! Yeah, I agree... using a tape measure is very effective. I actually don't own a scale, I just weigh myself at my boyfriend's house. But I do have a tape measure, so I should just do that! :)
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Going by measurements is a great idea, especially if you are working out. A lot of times you see results in measurements that don't show up as a big difference in scale weight. Plus LBs don't dictate how good you look in your clothes, measurements do. I say go for it. :-)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Sure, as long as you are getting healthier, it doesn't matter how you track your progress. Clothes are a great measure for me, better than scales really.
    And you can record body measurements in MFP if you want to - in the same spot where you enter your weight.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    You don't have to weigh yourself. You can only take your measurements. The scale weight doesn't determine what size clothes a person wears or even if a person is healthy or not.
  • zoe4friends
    zoe4friends Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I am planning to challenge myself with no scales for sometime, and concentrate on my measurements instead. Because sometimes I weigh less and sometimes I weigh more (like today) and it makes me very upset :-(
  • SachaMichel
    Options
    I think it's a great idea, especially to keep from being obsessive about it :smile:

I only weigh myself two or three times a year (using the ones laying about in the grocery store bathroom aisle). Usually I just judge my progress by how my clothes fit.
  • KimBambi
    Options
    Yeah, I probably only weigh myself about once or twice a year also.

I generally work on the principle of how comfortable you feel in your clothes and your overall improved mental attitude from being healthy (so a bit of a different measure of success) :-)