Vegetarian to Vegan?

Options
im currently vegetarian for about 6-7 months and i obtain most of my protein from cottage cheese or other dairy products.. i tried being vegan for about a month and by the end of the month i started to feel sick and weak and it was the lack of protein, i ate alot of veggies but i guess not the right ones.. what other choices are there other than soy? i really want to be vegan but its hard :/

Replies

• lovelyl0ve
    lovelyl0ve Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Beans, nuts, nut butters, protein powders (they have vegan ones), quinoa, soy products. It's a little more tricky, but it's doable. :) Vegetables also have protein in them, many breads and other grains do too. Just make sure your diet is balanced and you should be fine.
  • annisthehag
    Options
    Like the previous poster said, beans, nuts, grains, quinoa, seitan (wheat gluten), etc. You need to eat a variety of these (in addition to your veggies) to make sure you get enough protein, especially those with all the essential amino acids (aka "complete protein"). Many of these sources do not make a complete protein, so you need to mix up what you eat. Beans and rice, peanut butter and bread, for example. Quinoa is one of the few plant based sources of protein that contain all essential amino acids. Hemp seeds do too, I think. If you eat a varied diet, you shouldn't have issues with getting enough protein.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    In addition to what other posters have said, tempeh and tofu are my favorite sources of vegan protein. Tempeh is a little heartier, with a somewhat nutty flavor, and tofu is softer but absolutely delicious. Learn how to prepare and cook these properly and you will be set! Also, don't be afraid to supplement with some vegan protein powder - a blend of 75% gemma pea and 25% brown rice has a great nutritional profile.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating starches like rice and potatoes. It will/should give you enough protein unless you are trying to gain lean muscle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-gQqKzs5Vw&feature=g-user

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPD-7Wvi1OM&feature=related