Does anybody else get dizzy during workouts?

Options
I have been doing aerobic workouts and whenever there is a lot of getting down to the floor and then up again I get dizzy. Is this something that will go away as I get more in shape?

Replies

• chimebird
    chimebird Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It's happened to me as well but it's gone away. I was surprised because I thought that should only happen if I wasn't eating enough, I'm still not sure what caused it. But please be sure not to overdo it and give yourself a moment to rest when you feel dizzy!
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    happens to me too! drink more water. :3 it helps. also a snack of greek yogurt with a lil steel oats mixed in will help keep you fueled! just be sure to eat an hr before.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    oh if it happens when your moving up and down. you might be getting up to quickly. all your blood is rushing to the muscle groups your working out, and standing up suddenly causes the blood to pull away from your brain. making you dizzy.
  • december8teen
    Options
    I tried working out before breakfast/first meal of the day, and I felt it. Usually when I work out in the evenings when I've eaten enough, I don't. :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Can be:

You aren't eating enough (low blood sugar)

Dehydration.

Low blood pressure.

vertigo

Or something serious - I would suggest calling your doctor. It happens to me, but I have low blood pressure and quick movement changes like that mess with me.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    only if im doing like a workout that involves alot of spinning.
    or when like head shaking, like do a push up, jump up, do a push up again..
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Happens to me because of low blood pressure. And then I see all white and look all drunk. Happens at work a lot when I suddenly stand up.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Might want to discuss with your doctor to be on the safe side.

I get lightheaded and nearly faint when I do power cleans. Pretty sure I am actually going to faint one of these times.
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Do a blood test and see where your sugar and iron levels are and then You can see how to fix it.
    But quick fixes are eat something like a corny bar before workout eat some iron filled food like pork liver and drink more water esp. during Your workout.
  • KellyAnn1874
    KellyAnn1874 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You could also be locking your knees when you get up. We used to have girls drop like flies in my dance classes and it was always because they were locking their knees. Try to keep them slightly bent the whole time and be as loose as you can with your movements
  • KellyAnn1874
    KellyAnn1874 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You could also be locking your knees when you get up. We used to have girls drop like flies in my dance classes and it was always because they were locking their knees. Try to keep them slightly bent the whole time and be as loose as you can with your movements
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Happens when you don't eat enough or have empty stomach and no energy hence low BP.
  • peacefulstreet
    Options
    Aloha from Hawaii,

I have read these posts, and am so thankful that there is such a wonderful online community of people who all share to acquire such a healthy knowledge and pure knowledge. This encourages me. I was a Harvard pre-med student and then later Yale, but couldn't accept the coercion in western medicine, sadly, for obvious reasons.

When was your last meal from the time of your dizzy experience? This is critical. Remember, dizziness, weakness, being tired, etc. is invariably connected to the flow of blood in the body. Hence the wide range of replies you've received viz., locking your knees, sugar, iron levels, etc. The key is proper blood flow which provides the distribution of essential nutrients to the body. Oxygen to the brain being key here, as this is the body's primary way, combined with Water, in its functions. Everyone is in a different place, and for some, it's hard to spiritually translate what going-on in their bodies, especially in our culture due to the amount of information we as Americans in general must process.

Sometimes we over extend our body's capacity. Drinking plenty of fluids, and listening to what your body tells you is first and foremost in preventing and overcoming these types of stigmas.

I hope this helps.

J. Parent
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Happens when you don't eat enough or have empty stomach and no energy hence low BP.

I have low BP ALL the time.... always have.
  • peacefulstreet
    Options
    Namaste
  • Adynata
    Adynata Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    As basic as this sounds, try getting up slower. Focus on your breathing too. If that doesn't help, then yeah, what everyone else has said =P.
  • RieBerg
    RieBerg Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I don't think its dehydration, since I drink while working out, I am not diabetic or anything and my blood pressure is textbook. Somebody mentioned something about bloodflow. Do you think its due to my muscles being weak. Don't muscles help distribute the blood?
  • blondishandbookish
    Options
    I can faint during exercise - I have low blood pressure so nothing to do with not eating/drinking.

The thing that makes the most difference is doing exercise regularly. Secondly if I feel dizzy or faint, I either stop or slow down. In classes, I'm quite careful to come up slower than everyone else as that is the part where I can suddenly feel dizzy.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I do at times which is why I drink lots of water and walk a lot to keep my blood pumping and lungs breathing well.
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I would get a blood test. Could be anemia/iron deficiency. They could also check your B12 levels, which can lead to pernicious anemia (you need B12 to make red blood cells) if they are low. I started getting dizzy working out and it turned out to be iron deficient anemia. I had to take iron supplements and now just watch how much iron I get in my diet.

If you don't have enough stores of iron in your body, then your body can't make hemoglobin/red blood cells. These transport oxygen to the cells of your body. Thats why its more noticeable when your working out. It is more prone to happen with women because some women lose a lot of iron during their periods.