Protein Waffles (SO GOOD!)

Options
MFPfriend
MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
So, I'm a big fan of waffles, but the carbs aren't exactly great for me (I try to stay at around 40% because of my PCOS) and they aren't really filling because of the lack of protein.
I've been searching online for a recipe for awhile now, and I've found a few. None of them tasted how I wanted, so I took a bunch of recipes and tweaked them all to make one super-awesome, low calorie, low-carb, protein-packed waffle recipe!

The great thing about these waffles is that you can make them ahead, wrap 'em in plastic wrap and a ziploc bag, then throw 'em in the freezer! When I get up in the morning, I grab a couple from the freezer, pop them in the toaster for one or two cycles, and BAM! Healthy, filling protein waffles! I love eating mine with a tablespoon of peanut butter and some strawberry jam on top! :) And of course, a glass of milk, too. :)

Here's the recipe (yield: 4 waffles)
4 egg whites
1/2 cup rolled oats
2 or 3 packets of Splenda (or any other artificial sweetener, or you could use the real stuff too)
1 tsp baking powder
Protein powder (mine is 20 calories and 5 grams protein per tablespoon, so I used 4 tablespoons for a total of 20 grams)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup cottage cheese (I used 4% large curd)

Place everything in a blender/food processor, and blend it until it's smooth and has a batter-like consistency (though it will be slightly thicker). Pour into waffle iron (ours makes two, 4-inch waffles at a time). Cook until your waffle iron says they're finished. Pull out of the waffle iron and enjoy! :)

The nutrition info is pretty good on these- I could eat them every day!

Per 1 waffle:
Calories- 108; Fat- 2g; Sodium- 218mg; Carbs- 9g; Fiber- 1g; Protein- 13g.

Replies