Looking for support to quit smoking and get back in shape

Options
If you are in the same boat as me or even if your not I would love to make some new friends here that will support me as well as myself supporting them. I've quit smoking about 2 days ago and started on the weight loss journey. I've tried many times before but have never been successful. But I don't have a lot of support in my home life so I'm hoping this will make a difference =)

Replies

• louisau
    louisau Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm also 42. Stopped smoking cold turkey on 1 March 2011. Haven't touched a cigarette since then. Been om MFP since middle November 2011 and still going strong.
    If you can manage to quit smoking the rest is not that difficult.
    It boils down to making healthy choices and the rest comes as a result of the healthy choices.

Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • worthashot73
    worthashot73 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi! I haven't successfully quit yet but am working towards it. I want to quit soon but its soooo hard! My fiance smokes too so I really have to set my mind to it and just say no!

Are you going cold turkey? you can do this!
  • louisau
    Options
    Hi! I haven't successfully quit yet but am working towards it. I want to quit soon but its soooo hard! My fiance smokes too so I really have to set my mind to it and just say no!

Are you going cold turkey? you can do this!

I firmly believe that I am in control of my destiny. You just need to get your head around quiting. I'm of the opinion (after smoking for 26 years) that the physical addiction is a very small part of smoking for me it was more about the action / association. Coffee and a smoke, smoke after a meal, smoke when stressed, smoke when upset.
    I mentally prepared myself to quit. I set a date that I would quit, then I told everyone I know that I will be quitting on that day and then I quit.
    It also helps being obstinate and unwilling to admit failure.

It's been 9 months and 12 days since my last cigarette. I still take my "smoke breaks" and go outside to chat with the smokers. I miss the social part more than anything.

Feel free to add me.
  • johnsummerton
    johnsummerton Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hey I stopped smoking 15 months ago after many attempts . You have taken the first step . Also lost 2 stone . So it can be done I'm 53 that puts you 10 years ahead of me . You can do it . Add me as a friend if you want . LUCK
  • Tubby42long
    Options
    You sound so much like me. I've always said that when i am ready I will do it. Like you I believe it's not the nicotine it's the habit of coffee and smoke, phone and smoke etc...It's been 3 days now and it's not bad at all....When I'm looking for a cigarette to fill my empty fingers I do other things....clean the house, go for a walk, knit, all kinds of different things....and no I haven't taken anything to help me quit...I just made up my mind to do it and that is it....although I admit I did join the gym again because I didn't want to gain extra weight while in the process of quiting
  • louisau
    Options
    I gained a bit after I stopped smoking. About 5Kg (11 pounds) but lost most of it in the first 2 weeks of eating better and getting some excercise.
    Best of luck and take it one day at a time.
  • Kamalka
    Kamalka Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If you are in the same boat as me or even if your not I would love to make some new friends here that will support me as well as myself supporting them. I've quit smoking about 2 days ago and started on the weight loss journey. I've tried many times before but have never been successful. But I don't have a lot of support in my home life so I'm hoping this will make a difference =)

Hi,

this is courageous to make them together...but for me it actually made things easier. I was 112kg when I quit smoking 10 years ago(even though I had quit smoking and been on diet every week for 3 years:tongue: ). As I took the heavy decision, I went running in the evening because I was becoming crazy. I run for 10-15min. I did the same the next day (without any cigarette for 48 hours). That evening, my step mom told me "if you do not want cigarettes tomorrow, fine, but if you want cigarettes excessively tomorrow morning, buy a pack but promise me to smoke only a few during the day (2 or 3) and throw the rest of pack in a rubbish bin at 5PM". So did I...I throw the pack and went on run in the evening. These cigarets made the run very difficult...so the next day I did not smoke and went forthe run. Every time the temptation was too hard, I would buy a pack in the morning and throuw the rest in a bin at 5PM. Running was my way not to become crasy and do something in the evening. I can say I quit smoking without having this "I will never smoke again". At a certain point, you count the money you trow in the rubbish bin, hate the taste of the cigaret and you never buy cigarets again (even though I bought a pack 2 years later and for the very last time when drinking and going to disco...I throw the pack when I went out).

Now, I am not a smoker but I am not scared: once a year (moer or less) I ask for a cigaret to a colleague after we had a very good meal together...I can not deny that I like smoking :smokin: but I know that, with the method, I am safe.

I went so much into jogging that I went to 68kg (the wrong thing was that I fasted excessively)...and came back to 95kg a year of stress later (carreer and exams). I can now easily run for 2 hours and try to get back in shape.

My method for sport was to run at a slow pace and stop a bit too soon, when I was thinking it felt good, so that I wish to be tomorrow to get back there. If you push too much, you would find a good excuse after 2 days not to come back. As I hate being hungry, I always opt for spending calories instead of decreasing amount of food...but with MFP, I look at the kind of calories wich makes all the difference (less fat and sugar).

Good luck but the only way to stay consistent is to enjoy it...and nobody is perfect so please do not give up because you went out of plan for a couple of days (which is what I usually do :grumble: ).

Considering sports and calories intake, I am convinced it is quite much easier for men but we might still help each other. I read in your second post that you go for a walk...I read a success story of a guy who started to walk in the evening, then during his lunch time, then to his work...then runned in the evening, biked in the week end and he just finished a triathlon this year
  • Kamalka
    Kamalka Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    How does it go so far?