I survived 1 Hour on the Elliptical Trainer

Options
Sorry this is long

I get on the Elliptical Trainer and do my settings and turn on my MP3 player and I set the time for 1 hour. I spend the first 10 minutes trying to get my heart rate up to the cardio part, and once I do I start to zone in on what my body is telling me. At about 15 minutes I start to do a little routine. I will lean over the top part of the machine with my butt pushed out so I can really work the glutes and upper thighs and I really start to zone in on my music and I start to push myself a little hard by this time. I am on resistance 6 and the height of the machine is a 7. A few minutes more I notice that the resistance is still at a 6 and the height is going up to a 9. This is when I will straighten up and lift the ball of my feet and lean back a little and oh man I can start to feel it now and it has only been 22 minutes I can feel this from the back of my calf's all the way up to my glutes and I can start to feel the burn a little and I have been only doing this move for only 1 minute. I want to stop at this point but I keep pushing myself to keep going. I am really starting to sweat now. It seems like I need my towel to wipe my face every few minutes and water right now is my best friend. I start to slow down now because I have put the resistance up to an 8 and that is where it will stay for the remainder of my time on the Elliptical Trainer that at this point in time I have renamed it, it is now the drill sergeant. The drill sergeant is telling me now that I need to pedal backwards and as a good little soldier I do what I am told and I do pedal backwards. The height now is at a 11 and I know this routine it will be there for 15 minutes but for me it will seem like for ever. I am pedaling backwards and leaning forward and I am on the ball of my feet now. I can start to feel that in my calf's and upper thighs and at this point in time I am wondering what the h"ll I am doing this for. I feel like I am being tortured. the sergeant is so unrelenting, no matter what I do it seems like the height is not high enough and the sergeant really wants me to sweat my butt off. Well he is getting his wish right about now my shirt is starting to get drenched and I am having to wipe my face off it seems like every minute and water it seems that I am the desert and I am just soaking up all the water I can get. The handles on the machine and the control panel is wet from me sweating so much that I need to wipe it down every now and then. I notice that the sergeant is starting to ease up on me now but just a little. I am on the back side of this and the height is now back at level 13 and I have straighten up and starting to zone and then on 1 of the T.V's I notice a info commercial and it has caught my attention. I don't hear what they are saying but they are selling some kitchen knives. I look away and then down at the sergeant and I am back down on level 9 and I am getting back into my zone. I don't even notice that someone got on the Elliptical Trainer next to me. By this time I have had to take my glasses off because they are getting wet with me sweating so much. I push on the button to see how much more time I have and it says I have 5 more minutes I can't believe it I think I will make it through the whole hour. I look down again and the stupid machine is saying pedal forward and I start to pedal forward and my hips all the way down to my ankles is saying thank you they know it is almost over now. I am back on level 6 with the resistance still at 8 but it is getting easier now so I up my strides from 122-128 to 138-142 per minute. The serge finally lets me go and I can do my cool down for my last 5 minutes. The height is still at 6 but the resistance is also at a 6. Finally it has been 60 minutes on the Elliptical Trainer and it finally says the last 30 seconds I am watching the timer as it counts down. 20 seconds, 10 seconds, 0 seconds and I am finally able to stop. It gives me my stats of my heart rate are in zone 55 minutes ,above my zone 4 minutes, below my zone 1 minute. Cals burned 724 for 60 minutes. I survived 1 hour on the Elliptical Trainer and I felt good afterwards.

Replies

9726172000 Posts: 428
    Options
    Sorry this is long

I get on the Elliptical Trainer and do my settings and turn on my MP3 player and I set the time for 1 hour. I spend the first 10 minutes trying to get my heart rate up to the cardio part, and once I do I start to zone in on what my body is telling me. At about 15 minutes I start to do a little routine. I will lean over the top part of the machine with my butt pushed out so I can really work the glutes and upper thighs and I really start to zone in on my music and I start to push myself a little hard by this time. I am on resistance 6 and the height of the machine is a 7. A few minutes more I notice that the resistance is still at a 6 and the height is going up to a 9. This is when I will straighten up and lift the ball of my feet and lean back a little and oh man I can start to feel it now and it has only been 22 minutes I can feel this from the back of my calf's all the way up to my glutes and I can start to feel the burn a little and I have been only doing this move for only 1 minute. I want to stop at this point but I keep pushing myself to keep going. I am really starting to sweat now. It seems like I need my towel to wipe my face every few minutes and water right now is my best friend. I start to slow down now because I have put the resistance up to an 8 and that is where it will stay for the remainder of my time on the Elliptical Trainer that at this point in time I have renamed it, it is now the drill sergeant. The drill sergeant is telling me now that I need to pedal backwards and as a good little soldier I do what I am told and I do pedal backwards. The height now is at a 11 and I know this routine it will be there for 15 minutes but for me it will seem like for ever. I am pedaling backwards and leaning forward and I am on the ball of my feet now. I can start to feel that in my calf's and upper thighs and at this point in time I am wondering what the h"ll I am doing this for. I feel like I am being tortured. the sergeant is so unrelenting, no matter what I do it seems like the height is not high enough and the sergeant really wants me to sweat my butt off. Well he is getting his wish right about now my shirt is starting to get drenched and I am having to wipe my face off it seems like every minute and water it seems that I am the desert and I am just soaking up all the water I can get. The handles on the machine and the control panel is wet from me sweating so much that I need to wipe it down every now and then. I notice that the sergeant is starting to ease up on me now but just a little. I am on the back side of this and the height is now back at level 13 and I have straighten up and starting to zone and then on 1 of the T.V's I notice a info commercial and it has caught my attention. I don't hear what they are saying but they are selling some kitchen knives. I look away and then down at the sergeant and I am back down on level 9 and I am getting back into my zone. I don't even notice that someone got on the Elliptical Trainer next to me. By this time I have had to take my glasses off because they are getting wet with me sweating so much. I push on the button to see how much more time I have and it says I have 5 more minutes I can't believe it I think I will make it through the whole hour. I look down again and the stupid machine is saying pedal forward and I start to pedal forward and my hips all the way down to my ankles is saying thank you they know it is almost over now. I am back on level 6 with the resistance still at 8 but it is getting easier now so I up my strides from 122-128 to 138-142 per minute. The serge finally lets me go and I can do my cool down for my last 5 minutes. The height is still at 6 but the resistance is also at a 6. Finally it has been 60 minutes on the Elliptical Trainer and it finally says the last 30 seconds I am watching the timer as it counts down. 20 seconds, 10 seconds, 0 seconds and I am finally able to stop. It gives me my stats of my heart rate are in zone 55 minutes ,above my zone 4 minutes, below my zone 1 minute. Cals burned 724 for 60 minutes. I survived 1 hour on the Elliptical Trainer and I felt good afterwards.
  • CarmenSantiago
    CarmenSantiago Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    OMG GOOD FOR YOU!! I bow in your presence. :drinker:

I do 30 minutes with my IFIT SD CARD and the highest level it goes to is 5. I swear when the half hour is up I'm toast. I do notice that if I'm listening to my IPOD I do seem to not notice the pain I'm in as much. LOL

Great job!!!
  • cab2424
    cab2424 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I did 20 min last night with it flucuatiing between level 5 and 7 and about died :) good job on an hour
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    That is true victory! Wow!:noway: After 25min I am dying. an hour... wow!:bigsmile:
    Options
    Thanks all. I to use to feel like I would die only after 20-25 minutes but about 1 week ago my hubby dared me to do an hour and I just now got up the nerve to try it. I can't stand to loose to my hubby because if I do I would never hear the end of it. I go to the gym everyday that I work so I will have to see if I can do 1 hour again in the morning.
  • meliarenne
    meliarenne Posts: 1
    Options
    Awesome!!!! :)
    I can relate to your story in many ways. I usually do my excercise on the arc elliptical for an hour and my mind and body definately play tricks on me. :bigsmile:
  • lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    I know isn't it awesome!!! 1st time on I was dying after 5 min! Its a great feeling when your time gets up there!

Congrats on conquering the elipitical!!!
  • kfeuvrel
    kfeuvrel Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    How do you keep your toes from going numb? After 30 minutes I have to stop and stretch them out to return proper nerve function. :laugh:

Congrats on your personal Mt. Everest! Maybe your drill sargent needs to come work out with the rest of us.
    Options
    I put my feet in different positions when I start to feel them go numb and wiggle my toes from time to time. Sometimes I wish I could send the sargent to someone else but it keeps me on my toes.
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    How do you keep your toes from going numb? After 30 minutes I have to stop and stretch them out to return proper nerve function. :laugh:

I used to have the same problem when I didn't wear shoes with proper arch support, it doesn't seem to happen when I wear my good runners.

And congrats on the hour, 45 minutes is more than enough for me!!!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    That is great!! I love the elliptical.

Just keep pushing yourself. Often when you think you can't go any longer, if you just push yourself...you will be surprised! :flowerforyou:

I slowly worked my way up to an hour at level 19 on the "Random/Interval" setting.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options

I used to have the same problem when I didn't wear shoes with proper arch support, it doesn't seem to happen when I wear my good runners.

And congrats on the hour, 45 minutes is more than enough for me!!!
    If you haven't already, go to a good running store and get fitted for a pair of shoes. They should ask you what your main form of exercise will be, (walking, running, crosstraining, weights, machines, etc) and then watch you walk and run from the front and behind. My feet always went numb until I was properly fitted. They also told me that sometimes the numbness can be due to too much cushioning ?!?! Anyway, it's well worth it to get fitted.

Oh, and HECKUVA JOB ON THE 60 MINUTES, BABE!!! I'm up to 45 minutes on random/aerobics setting now, but only level 4.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Way to go, Keep up the great work. :flowerforyou:
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    That is amazing. Ive done the past two days at 30. How can you walk afterwards??? LOL
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    that is awesome WTG!!!
  • monkeymaggie
    Options
    well done . . . Ive lost four stone after a year of struggling with Multiple Sclerosis I know what it feels like to do an hour total elation . . makes tyou so full of life afterwards . . well done again where do you go gym
  • stimpy6298
    stimpy6298 Posts: 76
    Options
    Great job !!! Are you using the interval setting? I used to use the weight loss setting but it wasn't doing much for me so i changed to the interval it keeps my HR up where I need it. I usually do 45 min and yesterday I told my friend I think I can do the whole hour. I am going to try it today. Wish me luck and good luck with doing it again today.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!