C25K Training - Week 4.. Tell me it get's easier!

I finished my first week 4 training today and nearly died during it. I'm happy that I made it through the whole workout but running for 5 minutes straight was much harder than I expected. The first 3 weeks weren't easy, but they weren't this hard. I just wanted some insight from those of who have completed and/or are doing 5K interval training. Thanks!

Replies

• soccer8s
    soccer8s Posts: 238 Member
    It does get easier, but then harder and back to easier...I always find the last day of the week to be the hardest...then the first day gets a bit easier and 2nd day is about the same....

If you get through day 3 of week 4, then day 1 of week 5 isn't too hard!!!

Keep up the good work - hang in there!
  • StephFork
    StephFork Posts: 182 Member
    Thanks! That does help motivate me. I guess it's just the thought of not being able to run 20 minutes straight next week during week 5. I will push through it somehow... I HOPE!
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    I started the same as you, now running 30 minutes.

Nope it doesn't get easier.
  • Mummsy
    Mummsy Posts: 347 Member
    It does get easier and you will feel so amazing and proud of yourself at the end. Keep at it!
  • I'm doing the same program and was thinking the same thing. I attempt the first day of each week 2 times it seems. The first time I can't do it but the second time I get it done.
    I found watching when I lift with lower body I can't run as well. I save legs for thursday/friday then dont run until Monday night. That seems to have helped
  • ncsjodi
    ncsjodi Posts: 102 Member
    When I did it, I slowed down a bit for the longer runs. Work on endurance first, then speed. When I first started running longer times, I was "running" at 4.8 mph. Now I can do much longer runs at 5.5 and higher.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Keep in mind that you can repeat days or weeks, until you feel ready for the next. You got this!

There is a C25K support group here. Check it out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Yes it definitely gets easier. I started with C25K back in February when I began my fitness journey. I remember not even being able to do 1 minute. Don't get discouraged. It works and it definitely gets easier...and its lots of fun. Plus the feeling of accomplishment when you finally graduate!! There's nothing like it.
  • Poohsta0
    Poohsta0 Posts: 147 Member
    It won't get easier next week but it will get easier. I went from couch to half marathon and back to couch. Looking to do half of that (couch to long run) again. Instead of looking forward look back to where you started. The progress is easier to see and you will be more motivated. Keep putting one foot in front of the other and save looking ahead for later!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,024 Member
    Just mind your breathing.... do not go too fast so that you lose your breath. Keep focusing on that and it will get easier!
  • alicollins74
    alicollins74 Posts: 335 Member
    I am on week 4 too! I did the first day yesterday...whew! I didn't know if i could do it but I did! Yes, 5 minutes seemed like 10.

Congrats on finishing the week!
  • skb32881
    skb32881 Posts: 105 Member
    I skipped the whole running for 20 mins straight thing. I almost died doing 8 mins! Now I'm up to 10 mins and I'm just going to modify it and do my own thing from here on out and gradually build up to 30 mins or so. For me the first day of the week is always the easiest - probably because my muscles aren't sore from a week worth of working out and then it gets progressively harder. I also find the first 5 mins and the last 5 mins are always the hardest !
  • cln714
    cln714 Posts: 174 Member
    I did week 4 last week and was thinking it was super hard to run the 5 mins... until the last day. The last day, I slowed down to where my breathing was managable. I actually ended up doing an extra round of the 3min/5min. It helped me feel much more confident about this week.

Yesterday I did W5D1 and it was totally fine.

Maybe try and slow down a bit.

Good luck!!!
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Keep in mind that you can repeat days or weeks, until you feel ready for the next. You got this!

There is a C25K support group here. Check it out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

Yes! It does get easier. Go at your own pace though, it is Just a Guideline, not Law.

I found that resting for 2 days between each session allowed me to feel "ready" for each new session.

It's like a mental game you play.

You CAN do it!!
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Take it from someone in the "obese" category who never could run for more than a minute straight...it DOES get easier. Having said that, two words of advice:

1) Don't hesitate to repeat a week if you need to...I think I repeated two of the weeks along the way, and week 4 was one of them
    2) Once you get to the end of the program, keep at it! Don't worry if you're a slower runner...you can always work up speed or move to a Couch to 10K bridge. The important things (especially with winter here if you live somewhere cold) is you're a runner now and you want to stay a runner!

Best of luck to you!

PS...Someone on here made up a great T-Shirt for their 1st 5K...on the back of the shirt it said, "I may be slow, but I've already lapped everyone on their couches!"
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,459 Member
    Not so sure about easier, but it was week 5 for me where I had a break through and realized that I could actually do it. Something about that 20 minute run and accomplishing it that gets a big "can't" out of your vocabulary!
  • You can do it!! I completed C25K last year. The difficulty fluctuated a lot for me. 20 minutes of running for a non-runner is super intimidating, so make sure you have a killer playlist. Repeat a week if you don't feel like you conquered it. Trust me, you will feel AMAZING when you complete your first 5K! Good luck!
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    I'd say no it doesn't get easier. but it stays the same. The 5K program constantly "ups" your time running so you will always be feeling pushed to a limit. But you will get better with it with practice. For example you will be running 10 minutes and feel like dying but the first 5 minutes that you used to struggle with will be easier. That's the best way I can describe it.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,459 Member
    Not so sure about easier, but it was week 5 for me where I had a break through and realized that I could actually do it. Something about that 20 minute run and accomplishing it that gets a big "can't" out of your vocabulary!
  • Something about that 20 minute run and accomplishing it that gets a big "can't" out of your vocabulary!

This is so true! I was so exhilarated after completing my first 20-minute run!