Gluten Free

Options
lovecrystaljoy
lovecrystaljoy Posts: 297 Member
Hey everyone,
Ive been wanting to do Gluten Free diet as much as I can. See I had my Gaul Bladder removed about a year ago anf ever since I get real sick to my stomach like right away and have to go to the restroom like everything I eat just goes right through my body so im thinking Gluten Free wont be so harsh on me. Does any body have any good gluten free ideas they would like to share? I found a few on cleaneating.com that I would like to try out. Let me know your thoughts and experances with this, Thank you!

Replies

• nellieboo628
    nellieboo628 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I found out recently that I am allergic to wheat, so my diet has become gluten-free, wheat free.

Start by swapping out your gluten favorites with gluten-free.

Rice bread for regular bread (I like Udi's)

Also, I use baked potato instead of bread for some of my favorite sandwiches

Rice or corn tortillas for Regular Tortillas

No more variety with cereals. I mainly eat rice chex and corn chex on occasion.

These little pointers helped me to start.
  • lovecrystaljoy
    Options
    Thank you
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I find it cheaper and healthier to stay away from gluten free alternatives. They are so expensive and full of calories. I stick to fruits, veggies, dairy and meats mainly. I'll have rice pasta and those things maybe once a month.
  • lovecrystaljoy
    Options
    Im not real big on pasta's unless its a cajuin penne pasta
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I agree, though I do have them occasionally. It's just better without them most of the time.
    I find it cheaper and healthier to stay away from gluten free alternatives. They are so expensive and full of calories. I stick to fruits, veggies, dairy and meats mainly. I'll have rice pasta and those things maybe once a month.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You can find some things in the organic section of your grocery store. Annie's Homegrown has been slowly rolling out some gluten free pastas and I recommend the Enjoy Life brand. They make their products without any of the common allergens.

Do your homework and go from there. There's wheat/gluten in so many foods... it's tough. I have nut allergies, but I have friends/family who are wheat/gluten free. They have a very hard time in restaurants because contamination risk is so high. I can usually order around my allergies. More and more companies/restaurants are recognizing the need for gluten free options so it's getting better.
  • jnell82
    jnell82 Posts: 136
    Options
    A good substitute I have found for spaghetti is spaghetti squash. Pasta is my weakness, but this really does the trick for me. It tastes just as good as spaghetti promise :)
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    A good substitute I have found for spaghetti is spaghetti squash. Pasta is my weakness, but this really does the trick for me. It tastes just as good as spaghetti promise :)

The spaghetti squash lasagna from skinnytaste.com is to die for!!!!
  • jap247
    Options
    I have to agree with the other postings....I have been gluten free since July and since most gluten free products are pretty bad tasting and loaded with calories...I choose to skip them all together. The only grains I eat are small portions of rice and quinoa.
    It hard to make the change...very hard...bread products were my weakness. After being gluten free for months I feel so much better, no cramps or bloating or other nasty side effects, and I now have much more energy. Good luck!
  • lovecrystaljoy
    Options
    Thanks
  • lovecrystaljoy
    Options
    Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
    By Alison Lewis
    Makes: 24 cookies
    Hands-on time: 10 minutes
    Total time: 22 minutes

Gluten Free, Under 45 Minutes INGREDIENTS:

•1 cup unsalted almond butter, stirred well
    •3/4 cup Sucanat
    •1 large egg
    •1/2 tsp baking soda
    •1/4 tsp sea salt
    •3 oz dark chocolate (70% cocoa or greater), broken into small pieces

INSTRUCTIONS:
    1.Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, stir together first 5 ingredients until blended. Stir in chocolate.
    2.Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes. Remove to a wire rack and let cool for 15 more minutes.

Nutrients per cookie: Calories: 110, Total Fat: 8 g, Sat. Fat: 1.5 g, Carbs: 10 g, Fiber: 1 g, Sugars: 3 g, Protein: 2 g, Sodium: 55 mg, Cholesterol: 10 mg
  • lovecrystaljoy
    Options
    Does anyone have any great recipes they would like to share.