Too Much Protein?

Options
So, I've been under the impression that Protein = good and to really watch out for calories and carbs. I've only recently discoverd MyFitnessPal, but have been monitoring these things mentally for a while now. I do pretty good managing calories and carbs, but MyFitnessPal is saying that I'm exceeding my Protein intake. Is that necessarily a bad thing? If so, what makes it bad?

Replies

• DawnB86
    DawnB86 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily. MFP underestimates how much protein you should be getting. My advice would be to contact your doctor or nutritionist to find out what your range should be: it varies depending on the person.
    For me, my nutritionist told me too much protein can be hard on the kidneys, especially if you are in the obese range.
  • DerpdyHerp
    Options
    I've not found any research that indicates that "too much" protein (whatever that is) is hard on healthy kidneys. Naturally people with medical issues should always see a doctor, but I wouldn't worry about it personally.

But ya, definitely pay attention to calories first, then adequate protein (whatever that may be for you). The rest can be anything that makes sense for you and helps you feel best (and fuels your workouts). Contrary to strong opinions, there is no perfect macronutrient ratio that works for everyone. Too much protein for you may not be enough for me. MFP posts general guidelines.
  • rwattson
    Options
    Too much protein is not a bad thing, but it depends on what is too much. If you are doubling or tripleing what your intake should be reasses your diet. You may not be giving yourself enough of the other things you need. Your body needs carbs for long burning fuel for workouts. Don't be afraid of them. Protien is great quick fuel for the body to use and helps you rebuild your muscle quickly. You want to keep an eye on your carbs, sugars, and fats. If you keep carbs in check and your sugars as low as you can, it's amazing how fast it adds up, you will loose the weight you want. Keep your protein lean and you will be fine.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Too much protein can be hard on the kidneys. And being that I had a gout attack recently, I'm very careful not to have a repeat of that .... protein from red meat, that is.
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    At first MFP would tell me to get around 50g of protein daily. That's not enough!!!!

So I wouldn't worry. Unless you're getting 2-3x your body weight in protein, it's no big deal. In that case, yes, it could be hard on your kidneys in the long run.
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I've paged through my fair share of scholarly journals (JSTOR) and have yet to find any studies that show concrete evidence that excessive protein is detrimental to the kidneys. From what I've gathered, in order to maximize protein efficiency (broken down into blood aminos), one needs to consume an adequate amount of saturated fats and water. I also haven't found a concrete benchmark for ones optimum protein intake, all seem to estimate between 1-2 grams per pound of body weight.

In general I like to stay on the upper end of that ratio so long as my calories are in accordance with my general goals.