I have to confess

Options
I made really bad eating choices today. Usually I just hide the evidence and beat myself up for a week or so. But I figure I'll come clean here and maybe, just maybe I'll get the insight I need to stop this feeding frenzy.

Today I HAD to have some kind of chocolate and preferably chocolate cake. I HAD to have it. Could not talk myself out of it like I have in the past. So I bought a box of Fudge Brownie Little Bites 100 calorie packs. Not so bad, but I ate the WHOLE BOX! 5 packs at 100 calories apiece. UGH! That is 15 bite-sized brownies. 500 calories and 55 g fat. I ate well the rest of the day, and I will not be going over my calorie allotment for the day. Still.

I wish for the life of me I could figure out why I do this. It is binging, right? It seems to happen every 2 months and usually on a Wednesday. Weird, right? It might be associated with TOM, but since I have an IUD I don't have periods any more so I am not sure where I am in my cycle. Sorry guys for the personal info!

I've kept losing weight because I get back on the program right away, but I worry the time will come when I don't get back on and I lose control. I've lost this 50 pounds twice before and I am so determined to keep it off this time. I'm reading "Women, Food and God" but I'm not sure it is helping much. I think I will have to read it and then go back and read it again.

Anyway, is there anyone else who has dealt with this? Have any ideas on how to "cure" the binging? I'm not unhappy or sad or mad. I have some stress, but no more than last month. Feels good to come clean though! Thanks for listening!

---

Replies

• onehotgirl
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about it if you're still within your calorie allowance. Personally I can't get by without chocolate or something sweet to end my day, but I work it in my goals so always have 100-200 to munch on at night.

This is a lifestyle change remember that, and if you love choccy as much as me then there is no way in hell I can live and not eat it ever again... but I can live with eating four or five pieces of dark 72% chocolate a night. :drinker:
  • chloizzle
    Options
    Moderation is key! One of those brownie packs would have been fine, you know? Maybe next time try getting one and putting the rest somewhere out of reach so that if takes effort to get them. Then you might be less inclined to eat them?

Don't beat yourself up about it though, as hard as it is. It happens to everyone. The trick is to fit treats into your diet instead of restricting yourself :)
  • backstreet1008
    Options
    I have the same issue sometimes and its definitely worse with 100 calorie packs because quite frankly they're not satisfying at all and you just want more. I'd suggest if you only have cravings once in a while, just go and eat the real thing. Have that slice of chocolate cake. It's much more likely to satisfy you and you can get on with your life.
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    yup i do that to thats why i just dont buy that stuff ...go for a walk you will feel better
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    Do you let yourself have treat days? Maybe if you find yourself craving things every so often you can plan a day or two a month or week to allow yourself chocolate brownies. if you plan on going over your calories then its not a bad thing, its a treat and you don't have to feel guilty. Also if you're not even going over your daily calories with it still then even better.
  • tambamis
    tambamis Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    When I know I gotta have it, I try to figure it into my calories for the day, or work out to compensate.
    I know I'm not ever going to live a life with absolutely NO chocolate etc.
    I agree with above - go for the real thing it's more satisfying and pay really close attention to when you've reached the satisfaction mark, it's often long before the cake or brownies are gone.
    You stayed within your calories, so give yourself a pat on the back - Good job!
  • JVS1
    JVS1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Glad you feel better for telling us about it. :) It happens to me a lot, but the good thing is I'm learning to do it less. Sometimes when I have a binge, I can eat around 1500 calories extra, so 500 sounds fairly controlled to me. ;) When I wasn't watching the amounts I eat, as I am now, I was doing that regularly. But being here and seeing my intake in black and white really helps me to eat less. I've also found buying smaller amounts of the things I really like has helped. Instead of buying a pack of 4 chocolate bars because they're cheaper, I buy one so I won't end up eating all 4.

How about next time you have the urge, you input the calories on here before you eat the goodies. Would it help to see what you're about to do and the effect it will have before you do it? Then you can still make the choice. If you still choose to go ahead, you can always go and exercise off 500 calories to make up for it. Be good to yourself - you really do deserve it!
  • AnarchyCupcakes
    Options
    Good job for eating well the rest of the day! The worst is getting stuck in a shame spiral and letting everything fall apart.

I can be a big binge-er sometimes, but it's lessened since I made myself a promise that if I want, say, chocolate, it will be the best most favorite kind, and I will stick to one serving. Same with ice cream or whatever. And then I sit down and focus on eating it, without distraction. It sounds a little obsessive, but it helps me realize what I'm eating and enjoy what I'm eating, and suddenly it's all worth it.