Cardio in the morning vs. evening

Options
I am used to doing my cardio in the mornings before i eat breakfast. I am just wondering if I can get the same benefits of doing it in the evenings? How long should i wait after eating supper? Also, I will be doing it several hours before my bedtime. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Replies

• agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I often do my cardio in the evenings, after work. Usually 6:30-8:30ish, and then eat dinner. I haven't had any issues with sleeping/eating.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    There is a huge debate on whether morning versus evening cardio helps out any more...but in the end, any differences are so small that it doesn't really matter. So just do what is best for your schedule. What really matters is simply doing it.

I like to wait about 2-3 hours after eating to do cardio (unless I am just having a small snack). This has more to do with avoiding nausea than helping with calorie expulsion. I just feel better if I wait.

I often times don't even wait to go to sleep after my cardio. I work third shift and workout right after work and go to bed right after that. Some people don't like to go to bed right after working out, but others don't mind it. As long as you can handle it and it does not affect your sleep, you should be good. I personally sleep even better right and I work out. I just take a few minutes to wind down and sleep like a baby...all day long.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I use to do the same, but I get a much better work out in the afternoon/evening.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    . What really matters is simply doing it.

this
  • Mios3
    Mios3 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    In the summer when it's easier for me to get up early I do cardio in the morning, usually a run and then strength in the evening. However now that it's dark earlier and cold I have a hard time getting up Lol so I just do both in the evening. I have noticed that I am more energized for my day when I do it in the morning though.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I use to do the same, but I get a much better work out in the afternoon/evening.
    I've worked out a few times in the morning, and I just have no energy. I'm sluggish and don't run as fast/work as hard. I get a much better workout in the evening, when my energy level is higher.
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am used to doing my cardio in the mornings before i eat breakfast. I am just wondering if I can get the same benefits of doing it in the evenings? How long should i wait after eating supper? Also, I will be doing it several hours before my bedtime. Any thoughts? Thanks!

In my honest opinion through years of trials and error and experience. Cardio doesn't make a difference if it's in the morning or evening. As long as you do it, all it does is increase your calories out vs. calories in. Basically increasing your calorie deficit. I some times do mine after a weight training work out, or even before. For me personally I do cardio when I have spare time on my work out day. BUT for a long time I've always done cardio in the morning on an empty stomach. And seen or felt no different from doing cardio in the afternoon or evening. That's just my personal experience, and I've been in the fitness world for at least a decade now.
  • PhiasMommy08
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!! They were very helpful!!! :)