will this 1 cheat day make me gain anything?

Options
i normally eat around 1,000 calories or less and burn about 250 of those. i've been doing so for the past 3 weeks and i've lost 12 pounds. today i treated myself to mcdonalds and some other things and it all just about accumulated to 1,650 calories for the whole day. my weight loss had actually been slowing down the past few days to .4 to .6 pounds and i'm wondering if maybe these extra calories will boost my metabolism?

Replies

• crisnis
    crisnis Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss has been slowing down because you are not eating enough on a given day... a calorie intake of only 750 is dangerously low. Today will be a spike that you likely needed, but you definitely need to readjust your goals long term to be successful. Search the boards for "starvation mode" and see what I mean...
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    ITA with cris. You'll lost faster if you eat at least 1200 calories net a day. It might not make sense to you but it works.

And no, one cheat day is not going to make you gain weight. The scale will probably be up tomorrow, but if you get back on track it will be back down quickly.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    1. You need to eat more than 1,000 calories per day, and you should probably be eating back as much of the calories you burn as possible.

2. A “cheat day” is not 1,650 calories. Good lord. That’s probably close to your BMR.

3. Please, please, please eat more.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If anything it will probably make your body sigh with releif because you are giving it some calories to survive on.
    I wouldn't worry about what you ate today, I suggest that you concentrate on eating a healthy amount every day.
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I agree with what the others are saying...EAT MORE!

You are not eating enough. In all the time that I've been on MFP...I have never ever eaten that low.

Look at my weightless ticker...and I've lost weight eating enough food to fuel my body.

It's ok to have a cheat day,but good lord girl,ya gotta eat more on a regular basis. No less than 1200 calories and eat back those exercise calories.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    1650 is not even maintenance, therefore it is not a CHEAT day at all. I'd stick to 1650 on a regular basis if I were you. Good luck.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Do the math.

You must consume around 3200 calories OVER your maintenance level to gain one pound.

Did you?
  • DannyNovela
    DannyNovela Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    cheat day = smile on my face. =)
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    1. You need to eat more than 1,000 calories per day, and you should probably be eating back as much of the calories you burn as possible.

2. A “cheat day” is not 1,650 calories. Good lord. That’s probably close to your BMR.

this!
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    i normally eat around 1,000 calories or less and burn about 250 of those. i've been doing so for the past 3 weeks and i've lost 12 pounds. today i treated myself to mcdonalds and some other things and it all just about accumulated to 1,650 calories for the whole day. my weight loss had actually been slowing down the past few days to .4 to .6 pounds and i'm wondering if maybe these extra calories will boost my metabolism?
    OF COURSE you'll gain weight from eating 1650 for ONE day. JUST KIDDING. It is absurd. 1650 is probably less than your TDEE.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    One day will not ruin it. We all deserve, and need, days like that! Plus...YOU NEED TO EAT MORE
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has said. You need to feed your body if you want to lose. Trust me, I hit a three month plateau for this very reason and only started losing again when I started eating. You may experience some water weight gain from today, but as far as calories consumed, this is probably what you should be eating with your activity level. My only advice to you is up your calories, but make sure you up your calories on healthy foods: protein, fruits, veggies, whole grains, healthy fats (nuts, avocado, olive oil, etc.) not a bunch of processed food and sugar. Good luck to you in your journey. :)
  • PlomkChocho
    Options
    do not worry. in my cheat days i eat more then 4000 calories just in the afternoon. and no you are not going to gain weight, but when u are going to weight yourself, you are going to look heavier then you are.but dont worry its going to away. good luck:)!
  • Just_Bethy
    Options
    You body is rocking the weight loss 12lbs is wild!! ..give it another month and that will tail off...because your body will realise this isn't going to stop...and it will shut down and begin burning muscle and and keeping all fat reserves. This is called Starvation Mode...You KNOW.. EVERYONE KNOWS..you do NOT go below 1200 cals ..So you bring this upon yourself...and I have no more of my time to give to attention seekers.
  • jmehere
    jmehere Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Being over weight is unhealthy. But being anorexic is even more dangerous. Please don't go in that direction. You need more than 750 calories a day to survive. You are young, you don't need to loose 30 pounds in a month. No one does, but my point is you have time. What you are doing is abusing yourself, not getting healthy which is the point of loosing excess weight. Some body fat is necessary for us to function healthily and normally.
  • blpope
    blpope Posts: 163
    Options
    This is a dangerous topic to give a "silly" answer for.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Please eat!!! Sub 1,000 calorie diets do not work.
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Everyone that has posted on this subject is correct. Under 1200 is just asking for trouble in the future. You'll lose muscle mass and then you'll be in the bracket as skinny fat.

The worst that you'll get from eating at McD's is water retention because the sodium is off the charts! Don't be surprised if you see a weight gain for a day or so. Drink more water and stay away from the salt and that weight will drop off again.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Your "regular" 1000 cal days are your cheat days. You are failing to follow the program.
    The 1650 day sounds more like a normal day.

You need to reverse this. Hit your target on most days (6 days a week), and you can do what you want 1 day a week.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options

Please listen to this advice. You are NOT eating enough. Contrary to popular belief, you actually DO need to eat in order to lose weight. You lost weight initially because you were in such a high calorie deficit, but now your metabolism has slowed to a screeching halt. You won't lose ANY more weight until you start to eat. Bare minimum, you need 1200 calories a day. Start from there and for pete's sake, freaking eat something. :explode: