30 day shred question

Options
I did the 2o day shred on Sunday. It killed me which was awesome. Fast forward to monday and today? I hurt so bad. My question is, do I try and do it today or do I give it another day? I'm really a beginner at working out so should I push myself or rest. I feel like a fail since I didn't do it yesterday.

Replies

• jwaltz13
    Options
    keep going, push through and the pain will go away, it'll only get easier!!!! trust me! I went from sedentary to 30DS, felt broken by day 3 and amazing by day 5!!!! You can do it!!! :)
  • pmich08
    pmich08 Posts: 193
    Options
    Definitely keep going or you'll give up.
    The first time I started it I was so sore I couldn't even sit myself onto the toilet, but I kept with it and slowly but surely the pain went away.
    You can do it!
  • Eponine7
    Eponine7 Posts: 161
    Options
    I also vote for pushing through it. I remember being incredibly sore (barely able to move) on days 2 and 3...and on day 4 all of the soreness completely went away. Ice and ibuprofen. I promise it will get better...push through it!
  • KaraP18
    KaraP18 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You should rest. Its good you are sore that means you got a good work out but you need to give your muscles time to rebuild and strengthen themselves. Drink a lot of water and see how you feel tomorrow. Also eat some cheese or something for protein. It aides in rebuilding the muscles.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Push through :) otherwise soreness lasts longer
  • successiswithinme
    successiswithinme Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I say listen to your body, it will tell you what you should do,
    I will take a rest day every few days or so because I'm afraid of the risk of hurting myself if I am to sore, and I am also much older than you are too.
  • dkueter94
    Options
    PUSH THROUGH IT!!! I just finished the shred a couple weeks ago and I clearly remember how bad I hurt the first few days, but I worked through the pain (mainly because I was determined not to give up and also afraid that if I skipped a day or two because it hurt that it'd be way to easy to fall of the wagon with it) and I'm SO glad I did! It is TOTALLY WORTH IT!!! Jillian is brutal, but she is amazing and gives you a fabulous workout! I lost major inches! Go for it! You can do it!!!! :)
  • Denik71
    Denik71 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just did day # 2 and I am super sore, but I will push on and do it again tomorrow! It's only 20 mins! :smile:
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. Just b/c others rest doesn't mean you have to. Just b/c others 'push through it' doesn't mean you have to.

For me, day 1 was murder. I was in so much pain for 3 days after that I could barely climb the stairs, sit on the toilet, or pick up my kids. I HAD to rest. Resting for those 3 days did not make me give up, it made me appreciate how much stronger I felt the next couple of times I did the workout. Then when I realized I could do it without feeling like death the next day, I started doing it twice in a row most days. Taking a day to rest is not going to suddenly make you lazy or a quitter. Sometimes you NEED to rest. Especially for a super-beginner that is in real pain the next day. How much effort can you put into the workout the next day if you hurt so bad you can barely sit down? I certainly could not have done those squats on day 2 if I hadn't rested. Some people start out not-so-out-of-shape like me and maybe they're sore but not in that much pain to where they need to rest. I think there is a difference between normal muscle soreness and pain that makes you barely functional. If it's just a bit of soreness, maybe go for it, but if it's really bad then take some time to recover and get right back into it with an even greater effort the next time. The last thing you want to do is 'push through it' just b/c other people did it if that means you might injure yourself and be sidelined for weeks. That's not going to help you reach your goals. Listen to your body and rest if you really, REALLY need it. You will STILL get results as long as you do it as often as you are able.
  • sunnydays33
    sunnydays33 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I personally pushed thru. I was so sore Day 3, that if I wouldn't have loosened up before, I couldn't of done it. On the days where I am really sore, I start with my 45 min brisk walk and then do Shred after. I always FEEL way better after doing it, the longer I 'rest' the longer I am sore. It does get WAY easier!
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Apparently on her podcast Jillian said that it isn't meant to be done everyday. I do it every other day because I am really not interested in being hurt. Obviously it's your decision but I don't have anything to prove except to myself.
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    I have it and love it...also love get ripped in 30. I agree that if you hurt bad take a day to let the body heal. Do another form like yoga or just stretching. Then get back at it!...... as it is very easy to fall off track and motivation falls right there with it.
  • luvinlaurakate
    luvinlaurakate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yep, day 4 is when I felt better as well. Just keep going!
  • bestdaysahead
    bestdaysahead Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Just finished my first day and WOW!
  • Cityperks
    Cityperks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Keep going.....you can do it!
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I just modified where I was the most hurt, but still continued every day. I found that I felt better after because I re-stretched the aching muscles. But took breaks when necessary. I am now starting over again from day 1 and I don't have to take breaks.... I love it, it's a good workout, convenient and still a challenge. I have just added heavier weights now. But do NOT hurt yourself! Aching is one thing, pain is another!
  • JessiC1984
    JessiC1984 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My job makes me incapable of "pushing through it" I am a cook at a local restaurant, I have to be able to move and twist and bend constantly at work. If I go into work and can't move, then I can't do my job, I'm totally useless and they may well send me home, so I rest a day between workouts. If I had a desk job, I might push through it though.
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I find that I can't do multiple days of 30DS I have to mix it up with a cardio day. If i do try to do consecutive days I find I just don't put a great effort into it.
  • allieferriera
    allieferriera Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I gave myself last night. I started again today and plan on pushing through tomorrow when I feel it. I guess I was always under the impression that you are supposed to give yourself the extra day of rest in between weight work. But as someone said if I'm not in pain I will push as much as I can. As it stands I can't go the whole workout without stopping and I would really like to improve that. The only way it's going to happen is if I keep going!