New and Ready! Need advice!

Options
Hi all! I'm new to MFP and I'm ready to start and lose this weight. I did weight watchers in the past, but could never keep the weight off. I'm ready to make this change once and for all. What are your tips for being successful?

Replies

• ryanperna
    ryanperna Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Consistency. If you get off track, get back on. I am the worst at this, because I am an "all or nothing" type of person. This site has helped me get back on track after my many weekend "indiscretions". Also, BE SOCIAL! I have always tried to lose weight on my own and I always gained it back. I'm fairly new as well, but already over 5 lbs down! It really works!
  • PhiasMommy08
    Options
    If you track and do the work, MFP will work for you! Just stay focused and stick with it. Good luck!!
  • nlwatters
    nlwatters Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've started using MFP again after a long time, as I've gained so much I'm back pretty much to my heaviest weight. I need help and support in losing again. So anyone wishing to add me as a friend on here for support, I'd be more than happy to return that support.
  • ILNANA
    Options
    The pink method is working well for me, to lose weight is easy, the trick is maintaining, so get use to eating healthy foods, and your lifestyle will be able to maintain a weight loss. Good luck to you.
  • roseemb
    roseemb Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Someone above said it - consistency! No matter how you day has gone, whether your over or under your calories, or did or didn't exercise, just put it down. Log it! Getting into the habit of logging really helps with mentally planning your eating day so you can plan your splurges and not feel like your constantly deprived. Plus - such a great feeling to achieve goals and MFP shows them to you!

Also a great suggestion I read above was to be "social"! Having a group of people to be supporting you, and to help keep you honest and accountable to yourself is so helpful. Encourage your friends and/or family to join MFP too - even those who don't have weight to lose can benefit from this site.

Welcome and good luck! Feel free to friend me.
  • jbosey
    jbosey Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Ive only been here a little over 2 weeks but I will tell you what continues to motivate me each day. I make sure I go to the "Success" posts each night and look at the before and after pictures of those that have made it. This tells me that no matter what, if I stick with this as these marvelous people have done, I to, will succeed and boy that is going to be a happy day for me! There is nothing that I want more than to lose this weight and then maintain thereafter. Good luck, there are so many people here that are rooting for you! Let's all help each other, we all know the misery of living overweight, some in larger degrees but we all know what it feels like.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    here are a few tips that I found to work for me:
    1. Make MFP your home page
    2. Log in EVERYDAY, read the message boards post.. Keep your mind actively thinking about it.
    3. Don't try to change too much at once, Implement 1 change every week or so. Little tweeks over time seem to work best or at least better than but load of change all at once
    4. Always be honest. We al fall on our way to the top, be honest, no one is judging you here... we all support eachother
    5. Keep trying new things until you find what works for you (It took me a while to find my plan and it works great for me but I wouldn't push it on anyone else)
    6. Its easier to lift weights than the burdens of carrying weight.
    7. take it one day at a time.
    8. Have a cheat day or meal, where you eat what you want
    9. Try to talk to yourself as if you are talking to your child or loved one. Often times the thing we need most is to be a better friend to ourselves.
    10. Smile.
  • dutchsgirl145
    Options
    Awesome advice! Thank you all sooooo much! Looking forward to getting started on this journey!
  • Prozack1964
    Options
    hello and welcome here you have taken the first step already. you have to find what works for you and just stick to it and if you fall get back up and keep going. hope you have a great day